3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permanent tree stands. What's your oppinion?  (Read 667 times)

Offline bowmad

• Trad Bowhunter
Permanent tree stands. What's your oppinion?
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
I've been considering building several permanent stand locations for next season cause I have plenty of lumber and not much desire to buy a lock on. Is it worth the effort to build some platform type stands or do the deer just get used to them and avoid them?
“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
― John Muir

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permanent tree stands. What's your oppinion?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Killed some pretty big deer out of those types of stands
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Everyone of them I've seen, look like an accident waiting to happen!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
A friend built some fairly large ones on primo spots of his property and within a few years the deer pretty much avoided them. At that time he started having to use them primarily in gun season only. Having said that, in my lifetime deer have learned to pretty much look up in the trees all the time and I've had plenty of portable stands that weren't concealed well enough and the deer were aware of their location before I ever hunted them. If I built permanent I'd go small and camouflaged enough that you wouldn't immediately recognize it from the ground.  The best spots aren't often going to have the right trees/cover where that is possible. I'm lazy and don't like to put it up and take it down every time, but it's probably the best way not to burn a good spot out fast.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Lot's of hunters severely injured or killed every single year due to "permanent" stands.  The trees continue to grow and weaken the joints - no matter how good you think you build them. Just food for thought...
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
A properly built permanent stand is as safe as any climber or hang on stand out there if it is done right. But they must be strongly built, and they must be well maintained with frequent inspections.
Sam

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
If you are talking about nailing boards in live trees...you are asking for trouble.  As trees grow and sway in the wind, nails will be pulled loose.  If you are talking about sinking sturdy posts into the ground and then building a platform on that...that is a different matter.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
If they are built right with treated lumber and not nailed into the tree that can be great you know like a deck on your home.
My uncle builds stands out of what ever scrap wood he has and what ever nails he can find. They all pretty much need to be maintenance and fixed every season. And in the cold they creak and pop like an SOB. For the work of hauling out all the wood cutting it building ladders etc...and then find out you need it moved 40 yds. One way. I'll take portables even though some,aren't that portable. And in MN. A permanent built stand becomes public property. So unless you build it on private land you could find someone sitting in your stand and by law you cannot kick them out.
That being said I have taken lots of deer out out some pretty shabby lookin homage jobbys. But I also had a friend break his leg really bad. He was climbing a homage stand when a nail head pulled right through one of the ladder rungs and down he went. 3 surgeries followed. Oh and last weekend I had had a homage Ladder break just as I climbed out of it.

Time to eat

Offline bowmad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Safety is definitely a concern as I will most like not be the only one in them. Can they be kept relatively "safe" though with some yearly maintenance? The main spots I would put them is field edge along trails leading to a food plot. I have very rarely hunted from stands on my property over the years so hopefully the deer aren't too wise to them already.
“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
― John Muir

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Anyting permanent is an eyesaw. And, the deer will learn to avoid them.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I have taken over 40 deer from "permanent" tree stands. I agree that they need to be checked carefully every year and repaired as needed. I have taken as many as 3 deer from the same stand in a given year. As in any hunting, minimizing movement and hunting only those times the wind is cooperating is necessary.

I feel much safer in one of my "permanent" stands than in any of my others, including ladder stands and climbers.
Good luck and hunt safely.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
I have seen and taken many deer from permanent stands.  Typically they become  place for racoons to "unload".  

I prefer portables anymore.  less of an eyesore and can be moved with deer patterns.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
Years ago a buddy and I rebuilt an old permanent stand that was in a 3 limbed forked white oak tree. His Dad, my buddy and I killed 9 deer out of that stand including 3 nice size bucks. It wasn't unusal to have 15 does around you at one time. It was big enough for 2 people to hunt out of  it had a railing around it. We just kept up with the whole season. Wish I could tell ya how it did the next season but we lost the lease, from what ive heard from some reliable sources someone heard about the abundant deer on the lease and offered an outrageous amount to lease it.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
One mans eyesore is another mans work of art.

I love a permanent stand. I love finding other peoples older ones out in the wild and wonder, How many deer?

I don't think deer avoid them. just the opposite is true. they walk by it every day. It becomes part of the wild.

My house is pretty "permanent" but the deer  are still there every year when the apples drop
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
This should have been a poll!!    :biglaugh:  
That wasn't a pun. I started hunting at a time when portable stands didn't exist. Or if they did they were just coming on the market. My entire family self included killed many deer from them. Some times MANY years in a row. Actually a lot of us killed our first deer from the same Stand. Depends in how they are built and they do need to be checked. I agree with bow berry above. They become part of the woods and the deer get used to them. There's something neat about seeing an old tree stand in the woods.  I do feel though. There currently are safer options and if you have too many it can be an "eyesore"

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Most become unsafe eyesores of some otherwise nice woods.            

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 12:58:00 AM »
I think they are neat to find and don't consider them an eye sore. I have found several old ones on public lands here in MO. These were probably built by the original owners of the property. They do become rather unsafe though lol. If you do build some see about maybe building them with that new compressed plastic lumber.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 05:13:00 AM »
I say build some, what kind of wood are you going to use and what type of design? Are you gonna use one tree or more to build each stand. If your design and wood is right a permanent stand can be VERY safe.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Forty years ago(!), a good buddy nailed up four permanent stands, with my permission, to trees in the best locations on our farm while I was away at college.

Within a few years, each of those trees died.  Each has long fallen over, but no other tree in each area is positioned to take advantage of what was an amazing hunting site.

25 years ago, a kid nailed up a permanent stands to one of my remaining favorite trees WITHOUT permission.  That tree is dead and gone, too.

Perhaps this does not always happen, but every permanent stand I have ever been around has meant the end of the tree.  Perhaps that won't matter if you own the land and have a number of other options, but I regret that they ever happened on our place.

I have gone to only ladder stands due to age creeping along and medical trouble... but also to keep my trees alive.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
I have hunted a stand this year that my late father hunted from 30 years ago. My son rebuilt the stand a little higher than the original about 4 years ago and my grandson missed his first buck out of it last year. I had to repair it last year after a wind storm.

I am hoping my 17 year old grandson can take one from it this year as that will be 4 generations of successful hunting from the tree. I figure that big old oak will still be around when I'm gone.
Nostalgia!!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©