3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One More Tick Issue  (Read 529 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
One More Tick Issue
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
A lot of stuff has shown up all over the internet, including this site, about tick borne diseases. Well, here is one more, dealing with the alpha gal allergy. I don't know much about it other than I can no longer eat any mammal meat of any kind.

It is essentially a meat allergy with potentially lethal consequences. It is spread by Lone Star and possibly some other types of ticks. A substance that causes this reaction is spread to the victim when the bite takes place.

I had never heard of it till I met Crispin Henry, who told me a little bit about it. When I started having severe system upsets, I went to the allergist to check for food allergies. I requested this test as simply a means to eliminate it as a possible cause, so you can imagine my surprise when it came back positive.

Outdoorsmen really need to spend some time seriously learning about tick borne ailments. They are BAD, and they are widespread. And, yes, they can happen to any of us, not just "some other guy".
Sam

Re: One More Tick Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Wowser! No meat!!!!!! I hope you get it tackled and can lead a totally normal life, other than the no meat thing.

Bisch

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Eddie Parker(Mullet) was just diagnosed with the Alpha Gal allergy after two bad allergy attacks and one trip to the ER. His Dr. told him it can come from chigger bites also. He also has to carry an Epi pen everywhere he goes. Eddie lives in Florida.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
They are no joke!

I had a friend get  the alpha gal and it eventually went away after a year. I am told that it can go away as quickly as a few months, and can last as long as 5 or so years.

The good news is you don't have to "eat more chicken" forever as the cows from Chick-fil-a say.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Pat B, I didn't know chiggers could also spread it. I'm supposed to carry an Epi pen. The moral to this story is  PROTECT YOURSELF FROM TICKS! Permethrin all the way!

My birthday is in a few days, and I was planning to go eat big steak. But now instead of going to Texas Road House, I guess it will have to be Captain D's. Maybe over time, it will clear up as TradBrewSC mentioned. I just learned today that I have it, so it will be a while if it does clear up.

Man, I wouldn't wish this stuff off on my worst enemy.
Sam

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
The allergist told Eddie that they suspect chiggers also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Praying for those affected.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with this.

Thank you for the heads up.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
That's a strange allergy to have. First I have heard about this one. Good luck!
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
I forget the name of that ailment, but read about it perhaps here or ? about one or two years ago...was then "supposed" to be isolated in TX---THEN. And at that time, it was just red meat.

That tick-borne ailment caused a near death systemic reaction in the afflicted victim.

Lyme is bad. RMSF is bad.  Not being able to eat red meat...EVER again... horrific!

Didn't think that alpha gel name rang a bell, but that was as stated, year or two earlier, so I'm sure it's a) spread and b) much more known as cases increase!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
Sam I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you!  I too, didn't know about it until back in June when I met Crispin at a shoot and he told me about it.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone either, especially a hunter.  I hope you recover from it real soon.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Speaking of ticks. I'm amazed that with all the scouting and hunting I've done here in NJ that I haven't had one tick on me in the last four or five months. This time of year is usually the worst. Don't know the cause of the scarcity but I for one am not complaining. Might be due to the dry summer and fall.
The funny thing is I grew up in this same area and didn't know what a tick looked like. And I practically lived in the woods as a kid and even into adulthood. Would love to know the reason for the surge in recent years.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Scientists and biologists are saying that ticks and other bugs/critters are moving further north as average northern temperatures begin to increase..part of the expanding global warming cycle (melting ice caps, etc.).  I.e., seasonal temperatures are slowly rising on a global scale.  I wouldn't expect the trend to reverse itself.  

Looking at the bright side, at least us northerners will get to wear our summer speedos a little longer during beach season.     :laughing:

Offline Jculber301

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
I met a guy here in Nashiviile that had it, he started raising Emu so he could have something close to a steak. It tastes great!
Life comes at you fast,peddle faster!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
TSP, back in the 1970s, when we were heading into a manmade ice age, ticks were horrible in Northern Minnesota where we often vacationed. I'm not buying either the ticks moving north, nor the global warming crap. BTW: it was 24 degrees here this morning. My wool longjohns felt way better than speedos, lol.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©