3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Slumberjack Sleeping Bags  (Read 489 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
Slumberjack Sleeping Bags
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Slumberjacks sleeping bags?
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slumberjack Sleeping Bags
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
I can't recommend them. In my experience, they are heavy and expensive. They are not at all suitable for backpacking use. If you want a rectangular bag for a cabin situation, I would go with Coleman or something similar. If you're looking for a backpacking bag, head to a local backpacking shop where they can give you some advice and have a selection to show you.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
I have a SlumberJack mummy  15 degree bag that I have had almost 10 years...it has served me well in Montana and Alaska and on numerous hikes/camps......there are a lot better bags for about the same money......North Face Cats Meow if you can find one is premo !!!!
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I have one somewhere. Used to use it for "car camping". Mine was rated to 20 degrees. More than enough for me unless it got below zero.
Back packing is another animal. I used to go out with my sons scout troop. Tried several bags, lightest was down filled. But if it gets wet it is a cold soggy mess.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
I have a -20 bag and it's been the best bag of my life for the past 6 years. Durable zippers help too.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I have three, two were lighter bags for the kids in warmer weather.  Never thought of them except as inexpensive and functional.  I found a warmer synthetic along a trail in a wilderness, seems to have come off a pack animal.  I washed it, and took it to Alaska where it was great.  I think you can do better, if you spend a lot more money.  I like the value.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Used 2 of mine for years, slumber jack extremes. A 20 degree and a 40 degree. I backpack hunt in Colorado and other western states every year and they work great.

Gabe

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
I have had a rectangular one for about ten years.  I would not use this one for any backpacking because of bulk and weight.

But,  I do use it when I am staying in a cabin or travel trailer.

My old 1950 trailer gets pretty cold in Minnesota in November- especially when the wood fire dies about 3:00 am.  The bag keeps me warm in those conditions and is comfortable.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
It was the first sleeping bag I gave my son when he was little.  We used it primarily for canoe camping in warm weather where weight nor "packability" were issues.  It's now what I sleep in a the hunting shack and after 25 years it's still going strong.  In my "silver years" I've grown to appreciate and little roominess and creature comfort....never figured out how anyone slept in a mummy bag to save a few ounces!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
They are great bags. Not for backpacking but for tent, cabin and such they are hard to beat.  Have owned a number of them over the years and have found them to be an excellent bag with good customer support.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Mine is a 15 deg down mummy style that was made by Slumberjack for a regional outdoor store that Dick's bought a number of years back. I purchased it in 2000 and it has been on 5 extended backcountry pack hunts and countless other excursions. It has held up extremely well and just this year got its first small hole and I think it was my fault when catching it on a broken pine bough I used for extra ground softening.

I just looked at their website and it looks like they no longer offer a similar bag to the the one I have. That's a shame, it has been wonderful for a long time.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
I have one of their mummy bags and it is well-made, a good investment I made 10 years ago.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
I've had a minus-10 for 20+ years. Durable and snug.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Mine is closing in on 30 years old.  Still use it in scouts.  It was the backpacking bag of the time. Now they are way too heavy but mine has stood the time just don't use it for backpacking any more.   Used to be great quality but don't know now.  Dean
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
I have had one for years. I live in Southwest Louisiana so its nothing heavy but a great bag!

Offline n500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
The Slumberjack I'm familiar with is sold by  www.campmor.com  and is a fantastic middle quality bag.   The one I have is $69, packs to 11" x 17", smaller with a compression bag, and weighs 4 pounds 15 ounces.  Rated for zero degree use, I use it every year for hunting trips.  Probably down into the 30's but not a lot lower than that.  Very satisfied with it would buy another.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©