3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 9 months in the making...  (Read 876 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
9 months in the making...
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
well many of you know that my journey began in January of 2015. I knew nothing about trad archery. many of you stepped up to help. I put days and days of practice in with anticipation for this fall. tonight was my second sit of the season. I went to a property that I have not set foot on in 3 years. no scouting or anything . but I had a free afternoon so off I went. I decided to sit in and stand that use to be decent. there was very little sign but there were 2 trails. I set up and waited. about 5:45 I had a dos come in at 25 yards and fed away from me. I was jacked up! the. 20 mins later 2 more does come through same spot. they meander off. 20 mins go by and they come in right behind me. the first walked 13 yds beside me but did not stop and circled in front. the other followed but stopped at 13 yds. I knew was about to happen. one picked me off and bolted. the other stood dazed long enough for me to draw. I anchored and let go.... the arrow sailed right over her back a few inches and she bolted. I learned 2 things tonight. I need to bend more at the waist and especially when they are on high alert. after I realized what happened I thanked Jesus for that experience and was not mad or upset one bit. I told myself I needed that to happen, there was so much anxiety built up from 9 months that I needed to cool my jets some. I realized right there In that tree that if I was shooting a wheelie bow I would have killed 2, but instead I come home empty handed, and wouldn't have it any other way. this is where I belong. I'm just so happy to have had the experience. thank u tradgang for taking me in.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 9 months in the making...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Bravo.  Way to not loose all the forest for the trees.  I similarly bought a wheel bow a month ago... Then I went to a local pro shop and tried a recurve..... Done, that day I ordered a recurve and the compound went up for sale.  I would rather shoot a recurve and miss than a compound and hit... Next time I bet you don't come home with out some meat.  Happy hunting bro.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
I love hearing about your journey. You have a great attitude. Keep at it. Mike

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Keep at it! BTW, looks like the buck activity is already picking up...new scrapes along the field, and I had to brake for a decent 8 standing in the road tonight on my side of Hopewell; almost clipped him. Did you shoot high, or did she duck?

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
VA, Never lose that attitude. Can't tell you how many times I have gone over the back. Experience has to be earned, but you got the right stuff...keep us updated on your season.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
thanks for sharing Landon. You have the right state of mind. It will happen, I'm sure of it!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
thanks David. you energy is contagious . thank you mike. I enjoy reading your posts and book. reading it again now! Darryl, I think it was both. she ducked and I shot high. fm scan, thank you, tonight was so rewarding In so many ways !
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Great stuff there Landon!
Keep at it....it will happen!

chris <><

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
allen, thank you and it will happen when the Lord sees fit. until then, I will just enjoy each hunt. Chris, tonight was just more than I could ask for on a second trad hunt ever!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
You have a true hunters attitude! Many say they have it, most never do! Never lose it, and every hunt will be a success!
Congratulations on a sucessful hunt!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
Keep after them Landon, and it will happen.

Remember: A clean miss is better than a bad hit any day!

And always keep that good frame of mind, because unless you quit bowhunting today, that will not be your last miss!     :eek:    

I have been doing this for a long time. This past Sunday I had an equipment issue (that I did not figure out till after the 3rd one) that contributed to me missing 3 different does in under 2 hrs!!!     :knothead:      :knothead:      :knothead:  

Bisch

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
And remember to PICK A SPOT!  When I dont...I miss!  Sounds like an awesome experience and there will be many more to come.
60” Bivouac Backland ILF longbow 42@27
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 45@27

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Awesome! Keep up the positive attitude!!!    :thumbsup:  

I get to hunt year round and I still get the "jitters" when closing the distance.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
I was really impressed with the difference between a compound and a recurve in the woods . there were several shot opportunities had I been hunting with a compound. but with the recurve it was t an option. I literally had a huge smile on my face when the first doe came In and then walked away after standing at 25 yards broadside, and I could nothing about it. it was pretty awesome to know that it was above my limitations and I all needed to do was just enjoy watching her.

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
Keep after them, you get one when the time is right.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
Congratulations on a great journey so far. Be patient and it will happen. Bend at the waist is true advice.  Also,John Schulz advice to cant the bow more when shooting from a tree especially at close range is real solid too. Take a blunt with you and shoot a practice shot right before getting out of the tree on a morning hunt. It's great practice. I don't do it before my sit because that's just  when the deer will scent your arrow and bolt before you can get a shot.

Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Hmmm, must have squeezed the trigger twice
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
yes I do need to take a practice shot from the tree. thanks bud!

Offline sancoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Good attitude. The hunting experience  is the most important part of the hunt.
Diamondback venom Custom Longbow #50
Bear Montana #60
John Strunk "The Spirite #56 "
USAF 1960-1980

Psalm 118:24 “ This is the day that the lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Keep after them Landon, and it will happen.

Remember: A clean miss is better than a bad hit any day!

And always keep that good frame of mind, because unless you quit bowhunting today, that will not be your last miss!      :eek:    

I have been doing this for a long time. This past Sunday I had an equipment issue (that I did not figure out till after the 3rd one) that contributed to me missing 3 different does in under 2 hrs!!!      :knothead:        :knothead:        :knothead:  

Bisch
Just like Bisch to blame it on the "equipment".  Let me guess, your sights were off!  ;)  

I find that one of the hardest things for me to do when dealing with life prey is remember to pick a spot.  Through looking around and trying to keep tabs on different deer, I just don't pick a spot.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©