3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missed  (Read 492 times)

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Missed
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Had an 8 point come into my stand this afternoon and shot right over him. This is happening way to often.Shot was about 12 yards out from my tree stand. I picked a dime size dark spot of hair right in the crease of the shoulder and concentrated on that. After he dropped and bolted I remembered that somewhere between drawing and anchoring in the corner of my mouth I stopped looking at the spot and was looking at the whole deer. He lived for another day and I just smiled. Had a great experience and about all I could do.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
You'll get him next time. That as close to catch and release as can get in hunting.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:00 AM »
it happens. no worries.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
nice job on getting close! you are doing something right
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
Great encounter! You will get him!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Yep, you are winning half the battle getting close like that. Good luck.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Been there, done that. It'll all come together.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I've been there done that lol
Don't give up, it will happen!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Glad you are smiling.  Good bucks seem to be able to distract me too!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
I always pick for the bottom edge of the armpit on what i think is a nervous deer,  BUT one time my arrow went right there and the buck never even dropped,,clean miss but when he jumpped he broke my Arrow then stopped and giggled at me before ducking back into the swamp.

a clean miss is a good miss and good lesson!

make sure your bow is as quiet as possible and pick spots lower if your deer seem nervous,, I've seen countless videos of where deer drop up to a foot in milliseconds and beat compound arrows.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I just came in from missing a buck from my ground blind. He strolled exactly where I wanted, at about 15 yds, and when I shot, the arrow went over his back by about 3ft and flying erratically! When I reviewed what went wrong, I realized that the stool I was sitting on was lower than the one I usually use and the broadhead must have glanced off a branch. I've shot judos from the same place, (but from the taller stool) and always cleared. Lesson learned -
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
We all know nothing is guaranteed in this business. Part of what makes it so addictive. I would like to know the percentage of TGers to which this exact thing has happened. Have a feeling it would be pretty high. As said, you must be doing something right to get that close a shot. Only a matter of time.   :thumbsup:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I know the feeling. As embarrassing as it is to say, I missed two deer from the same stand with the same arrow in less than 30 minutes last season. Both shots right over their back and clean misses thank goodness. I will say that ever since then I carry two blunt tips and once I'm settled in my stand I pick a leaf, stump, etc and take a shot to make sure I'm dialed in. Same thing when I am ready to climb down. Good luck to you. It'll happen!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
I made the mistake of commenting to my son that it had been around six or seven years since I had missed a deer or an elk. No sooner said than done. I managed one successful stalk on a mule deer buck, took tthe shot, and never touched a hair. Not real certain what I did wrong but that was my only opportunity.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
I made the mistake of commenting to my son that it had been around six or seven years since I had missed a deer or an elk. No sooner said than done. I managed one successful stalk on a mule deer buck, took tthe shot, and never touched a hair. Not real certain what I did wrong but that was my only opportunity.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
It sucks. It won't be the last time be thankful for the experience and try to remember your shot sequence the next time
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
A while back RC made a post on a similar thread and described his shot process. He states that he shoots very low, about even with the line between the brown hair and the white belly hair (and sometimes even lower). He says that he seldom misses from shooting too low due to the way deer often crouch as they make the lunge in response to the sound of the bow. His opinion is one worth listening to. Keep at it and it will work out fine.
Sam

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Hope you get another crack at him!

Bisch

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Missed a doe two weeks ago...3x. Every shot was over her back. Welcome to the club.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Yeah it sucks...missed a doe at 7 paces from my stand Monday night; shot right under her. Thinking back on it, I gap shoot, and when I placed the broadhead on her I placed it at her feet (too low obviously) when I normally place it halfway up the leg for shots less than 20 yards.

That's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing"
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©