3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too heavy??  (Read 486 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Too heavy??
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Using the Gold Top arrow calculator. It says I have a 721.4 gr arrow. FOC 20.2. I'm shooting a Sadquatch  55 @ 31". I will be hunting elk next fall. Thanks Guys
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too heavy??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
If it flies good I'd say the weight is fine. Nice and heavy doesn't hurt so long as you can shoot it well. I've heard of some much heavier ones for large game.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
That's a very heavy arrow at over 13 gpp.  Western conditions sometimes need shots out to 35-40 yds.  An arrow at about 10-11 gpp would fly flatter.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
X2 what wing nut says. Be prepared for 35-40 yard shots. Hope for 20and under.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
It is fine if you get the accuracy you need, but wingnut does make a good point. Have you tried it out at those distances.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Either that....or LEARN to shoot the trajectory.

If that's the case,,,....the extra weight will come in handy.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Shoot the heaviest arrow you can with the highest FOC possible without loss in accuracy for the hunting ranges you intend to shoot.

If you shoot that arrow accurately at the hunting ranges you intend to shoot elk at, you're all set.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
If you can shoot it well, then it is great!

Bisch

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Trying to balance flight and thump. Long arrows give me more to think about. I'm worse than my wife in a shoe store.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
Well, in my personal opinion I think a lighter set up would prove very constructive for elk with an efficient broadhead. I shoot 60 to 65 pounds and set up on my first elk hunt this year with a 625 grain arrow at about 10 gpp. Now that I have been, I would much rather have had 9 g per pound for a flatter trajectory. I got within 35 to 40 yards of two cows and would've been able to take a shot with accuracy had I had a lighter set up.
After dressing my buddies mature bull elk out i'm confident that a 500-ish grain arrow would do very well from your set up with the right Broadhead. I think most set ups would do well on elk and less you hit the shoulder, then you're screwed regardless of what your set up is.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
The guy that introduced me to traditional bowhunting has killed dozens of elk with 40 to 45 pound bows and 450-ish grain POC arrows. Uses his Zwickey two blade. He has even shot a couple Buffalo with two holes

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
I have been shooting 785 gr arrows out of my 58/61# bows for years. Same arrow .  Like terry said... Learn the trajectory    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Don't make the mistake of going light with your arrows. Expect the unexpected when elk hunting like hitting the scapula. The right broadhead with plenty of momentum (weight and velocity) behind it is the key. I lost the biggest bull elk I've ever seen when my broadhead couldn't penetrate his scapula. It still hurts me to think about it after 12 years. I don't recommend hunting elk with less than 10 gpp. Learn to shoot the trajectory of a heavier arrow and know your effective range with that set-up.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
9-11 GPI shoot the same for everything from bunnies to bulls.
learn the bow and how it casts those arrows.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm shooting 600 grain arrows out of a 45lb Martin Savannah.  I've come to appreciate arrows in the 12-14 gpp range for a variety of reasons.  The bow is quiet without any string silencers, broadheads are easily tuned, and the trajectory seems normal to me since I've shot more aluminum arrows than carbon.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
LongbowArchitect- No arrow is going to give a hunter desired results if it hits the scapula square on.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Update. I got a PM that suggested I get a scale and weigh my arrows. Here is what I found
6- 3Rivers Trad Only. 300 spine all the same length all components weighing the same 694.45 gr.
Lighter than I originally posted.
9- GT 75/95's Same length etc. 6 were at 725gr
2 were at 740gr and 1 was at 694 gr.
Does that data strike you as extreme? I really line the Trad Only's. They are acting a tad stiff I'm getting more, uncut and trying them.
Thanks Guys

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
A 46 grain swing seems excessive to me for carbons, woods I could see that but I thought carbons were supposed to be more consistent than that.  Then again, I don't think I've ever weighed all my arrows so that amount of variance might be normal.  

I like to try to remove as many variables as possible, so I'd probably stick to the Trad Only's since they are consistent.  I need all the help I can get in that department.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
According to the Ashby report. The whole point of all his research is for when you do hit the scapula.

I think he had some shots penitrate the scapula and then continue on and sever the spinal column.

But then you have to deal with the trajectory.

I guess it's a trade off; Laser beam trajectory or unstoppable missile.

Many guys do great with the lighter faster setups.
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Just shoot what you have the most confidence in. 800, 500 grs what ever, spend a lot time behind your setup and learn your limits.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©