3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your favorite part of it?  (Read 676 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
What is your favorite part of it?
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
What is it that makes you tick? I mean what is the one thing about bowhunting that you cherish the most? For me, at the ripe old age of 40 (lol) after 25 years of bowhunting, it has to be that sunrise in the crisp morning...I just crave it, in fact i always have. But it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized it was the very thing that brought me to the woods. I always thought it was the rush of the kill, or sight of a big buck or even that shot, but it wasn't. No matter how bad the hunt went, I for some reason always remembered that first 10-15 minutes as the sun creeps above the trees.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your favorite part of it?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I too cherish the minutes before dawn. They are filled with such promise, except on the rare occasion when a Doe starts blowing before I've settled in!

This is why at least 80% of my hunts are in the AM rather than the late afternoon.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes, watching the world come alive in the morning is a beautiful and relaxing time for me. Just enjoying the time in the woods is special. However, when old big boy comes along and interrupts the morning's serenity, that's O.K., too.
Sam

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
oh yeh, the ol 10 year old mama doe in the dark will ruin the sunrise every time! with her blowing and stomping and carrying on...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I love the sounds of the morning. Hearing all the night time creatures heading home before dawn and then listening to all the day time creatures as they wake up. I wish I could express it better but that's all I got.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
good enough my man!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
mornings are truly awesome-and i am an early riser- so its easy,  but most of all i just really love the quiet time in the bush, and relish those awesome encounters.
had a duiker within 4' of where i was sitting in africa,he never knew i was there. had a red tailed hawk land on my head and set a while, a skunk fussed around outside my blind for a long while once-
oh yea, a black rhino pushed my girlfriend and i up a thorn tree once -kept us there for an hour- was a nervous climb down and walk back!! they sometimes can hang around some!
just a quick few that stand out amoungst many that i have been privileged to be part of.
anybody spending time in the bush will have amazing encounters- and great stories for the grandchildren!!

just being able to go into the bush is a huge blessing- many can not afford that privilege.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
AMEN!!   :archer:

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Seeing the woods wake up!

Although, this is a close second:

Bisch

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
All the preperation and practice..: then the sight and smell of late October leaves.. The sound of acorns falling like a light rain....
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
the early walk to the stand...
the smell of damp fall mornings...
the anticipation of what could be...
campfires with good friends...
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by John3:
All the preperation and practice..: then the sight and smell of late October leaves.. The sound of acorns falling like a light rain....
That's me.......also the slow stroll down a woods road, wind in your face, not knowing what you see at any moment. Could be a grouse or a deer, maybe a fox or just a pretty maple tree all red and orange. Cool in the morning and mild at mid day.........That makes it all worth while!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Bisch, man that looks ridiculously good!

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
I've been doing this for a very long time.  I was thinking about this very thing as I sat in my stand Tuesday morning.  I started out with my brother when neither of us even knew a person who had killed a deer with a bow.  The anticipation of "maybe" seeing a deer made it all worth while.  As the decades went by that anticipation never waivered but now I'm much more appreciative of everything that goes in to it.  The practicing and scouting, teaching grandkids all about it now, the woods, smells and feel.  If the thrill of seeing a deer ever goes away, or the awe of knowing I actually killed one with a stick and string leaves me I'll quit.  I guess that's why I've never jumped on the trail camera wagon.  Not because I think it's bad but because I want the thrill of seeing the deer I'm after when I'm actually hunting it and the fact that there are no deer in the woods that I feel are below me to take since each one is a gift from God.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
"I've been doing this for a very long time. I was thinking about this very thing as I sat in my stand Tuesday morning. I started out with my brother when neither of us even knew a person who had killed a deer with a bow. The anticipation of "maybe" seeing a deer made it all worth while. As the decades went by that anticipation never waivered but now I'm much more appreciative of everything that goes in to it. The practicing and scouting, teaching grandkids all about it now, the woods, smells and feel. If the thrill of seeing a deer ever goes away, or the awe of knowing I actually killed one with a stick and string leaves me I'll quit. I guess that's why I've never jumped on the trail camera wagon. Not because I think it's bad but because I want the thrill of seeing the deer I'm after when I'm actually hunting it and the fact that there are no deer in the woods that I feel are below me to take since each one is a gift from God."

that right there is pure my friend.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Me, I like evenings best...and have had my best luck then. Maybe why my bow is named "Twilight and Mist". That and the close encounters, like the little forky last year at 3 yards on the ground...let him walk, and would do it again.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
You guys are really making me wish I wasn't traveling today.  Getting on a plane to head home now and should have Friday and Saturday to hunt.  All of you pretty much nailed it.  The shorter answer would be what do I not love about bow hunting.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Being in the woods, the smell of a camp fire in the cool morning.......  but most of all the camaraderie at deer camp.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
I too like evenings better. Ithe Evenings I like best are not the best for deer. I like windy, misty, cold evenings , even a little stormy is nice. Don't know why, but just being in the woods  on  these type evenings give me a great feeling.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
The sunrises, the sunsets. The woods awakening. The chance to watch animals up close and personal. The possibility and uncertainty that each hunt brings. And doing it on my terms with a stick and string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©