3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Myles Keller trivia...  (Read 2538 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Myles Keller trivia...
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
So when i got into bowhunting in the very late 80s Myles Keller was the man with the new XI Compounds. But I just watched an interview with him and found he held the Wisconsin state record for 13 years with an 8 pt that he killed with a recurve.. and he said about half of the deer he has ever killed were with a recurve... I never knew that about him. I mean I assumed that he killed deer early in life with trad gear but I neverknew he killed 50% of his deer with one and several record bucks with one. Who else knew of this?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Myles Keller trivia...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Didn't know that, but the compound I had was his XI Legend and I loved that bow with 1 pin and huge 2514 xx75's full length. Stuck a lot of deer but made the switch to a recurve about 25 years ago..
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
He shot a Widow and Zwickeys. The widow was the black version,nothing fancy.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
He shot a Widow and Zwickeys. The widow was the black version,nothing fancy.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
well I'll be darn...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
He switched to a compound. He shot black, Black Widows before that. And remembering pic's of his deer, he shot them quite well.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
I would love to see old pics with him and a BW recurve

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Yep,I think that was in the late 80's. I remember the advertisement for something.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
This is a bad pic, but that's his Widow

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Myles kellar was the first person I read about that got me into trad archery.  He first shot old Wilson brothers black widow recurves I believe and zwickeys.  I hated when he went to Indian compounds - think I had a day of mourning lol.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
I will share an old trivia items I once heard from him.  For scent control, when we got serious, he wore an old shower cap with baking soda on his head.  He was a hard core buck hunter and was killing monster bucks consistently before most even thought about it.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Someone stole his enclosed trailer with all his mounts at a trade show,I think in TX . Never heard if they were ever found.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
That's the old Wisconsin state record buck in the foreground with the lighter colored rack. I believe it scored around 175" as an eight-point.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by DaveT1963:
I will share an old trivia items I once heard from him.  For scent control, when we got serious, he wore an old shower cap with baking soda on his head.  He was a hard core buck hunter and was killing monster bucks consistently before most even thought about it.
I met him in NJ at sportsmans center off the nj turnpike back in the 80's. I remember him telling people that deer had a seventh sense and could read minds and negative thoughts. So he lined his hats with tin foil, to keep the deer from reading his mind..I was just a kid I thought that was hysterical!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Sean, I remember that well, and always liked that ad.. I wish I could find a better picture of that...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
He got me into bow hunting, after Fred Bear and I had one of his XI bows as well. Cool dude back in the day when I was like 14 or so, never knew about his trad bow hunting.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Myles was a grader operator for the county in which he lived. Used to spend days on end scouting for the great locations while on the job in his grader by watching where the big tracks crossed the road before being erased by his grader.

Soon as he was able to retire from this job and receive a pension he did and wanted to turn to be a bowhunter who got paid for speaking and product endorsement. Being a recurve shooter, and a darn good one at that he asked Black Widow and Zwickey among others to sponsor him. They all turned him down so he had to go the compound route, which turned out to be Indian/XI Archery and the rest is history.

Yes, he killed a lot of record books animals with recurves, Black Widows, Bear and Staghorn, killed a few with the compound and as far as I know is still bowhunting as much as he can. Don't know what he is shooting these days but from what he told me shortly after the XI endorsement wouldn't be at all surprised if its a recurve. "Recurves are the perfect bowhunting tool because the shot can be taken quickly when using them, compounds take too much time and several really big bucks I never could get the shot off when I needed to." is what he told me.

Yes, he was the first one to talk about using baking soda as a scent killer(believe he worked very closely with Robinson Labs with their developement of Scent Shield) but never ever heard nor saw him using tin foil in his hat.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
One other thing back in the day lots of us used sights on our recurves as did Myles. Nobody looked down on us for using them.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
A few years ago I was the keynote speaker at the New York Bowhunters banquet. One of the vendors ask Myles to attend as a spokesman for their product. Myles would not attend unless he got the OK from the keynote speaker. Seems he did not want be a distraction or in some way upstage the honored guest. I thought that was a class jesture on his part. Of course I said it was OK for him to attend, and that any interest or people he could draw to the event would help me in the long run. I just wanted to reach as many folks as posible with my message.

I have seen Myles many times over the years. He was very conserned about human scent. He would strap 6 to 8 inch PVC pipe to the bootom of his boots and would thereby put less scent on the ground by walking on these "stilts."  Mike

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Did he shoot w/ a sight on that recurve?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©