3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Myles Keller trivia...  (Read 2539 times)

Online Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Myles Keller trivia...
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I have an old Outdoor Life magazine that featured an article about him. The posted picture was the same in that mag. I still have it stashed away in a tote. It was from 1985 I think.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Preston, THATS where I remember seeing that picture the first time!!!I got it off the internet.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Mike, I also recall that he used these "stilts" when there was a little snow on the ground. His footprints to a stand would then look like deer hoof prints rather than the game-alarming boot prints that would otherwise be visible. Every time I witness a whitetail locking up at my boot prints in the snow, I think of Myles' tactic.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
he was certainly a pioneer when it came to hunting large mature whitetails, and now that I know he was an avid recurve hunter I respect him more. Can't say I blame him for switching over to make some money
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Yep, I had an XI Legend way back when. He was definitely doing things right.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Matty, I was sitting about 3 feet to his right at that event at the sportsmans center. I had volunteered to sit in the UBNJ booth and we were right next to him. He became very angry at me when I kept asking him about that Widow and pointed out that the literature at his booth made it seem like he had shot 29 P&Y bucks with the XI when I knew he shot most of them with the widow. Later in the day I somehow managed to eat lunch with him, Stacy Groscup, Gene Bidlespacher and Gene Wensel. Talk about wich of these guys do not belong, I don't think I spoke the entire lunch break. I saw Stacy Groscup shoot a couple of aspirin out of the air with his recurve and do some incredible trick shots with a blowgun. He shot a dart into a bullseye, then he shot a second dart into the first and then a third into the second. He was a great shot.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
very cool dude i need to research him!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
The last I heard of Myles Keller he had hunted with an illegal guide here in ND and I'll bet he didn't even know it . The guide was finally pinched for guiding without a license .

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Was well aware that he had taken nearly half of his deer with a recurve.

Was fortunate to spend some time with him on a couple of occassions in the 80's. I noticed he was dipping some wintergreen brand tobacco. I asked if he dipped while hunting. He said 'ALWAYS!'.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
I loved reading about him back in the 80's. He was as big as any of them back then.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
Here is a somewhat better copy of the pic from the Outdoor Life article....

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 05:04:00 AM »
I met him at "The Bowhunters Discount Warehouse" back in 1987 with the Scent shield brand Earth scent products and I talked with him and bought a bottle from them and still today use brands that have only Earth scent on every hunt. I also was able to get his signature on a paper target and on that target in the Heart zone Fred Bear and Tom Jennings signed their names and Myles didn't want to put his name where those two had put theirs because he didn't think he was anyone important..He signed his name outside the line and so did Tom Flemming.I was hooked on reading everything about him before this from Outdoor life and was finally getting to meet the man in person.To be honest I went there to hopefully meet him only because of what I read about him and how he has been so successful taking so many deer with his Black widow recurve.I do remember he was pretty tall and reminded me of Bo Duke on the Duke of Hazzard lol..That paper target has dried out and torn in a few places but is out in my shop needing to be put in a frame so all can see..

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
Myles was and still is a very good woodsman. Many people could lean from his tactics on big mature whitetails. Killing deer of that caliber on a consistent basis without the aid of technology has to demand respect. He has mine.

Online Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I was looking back and found that article it was October 1985. 30 years ago.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
time flies
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I was fortunate to visit up close and personal with Myles at our local Archery Club (Waltonian Archers) for a seminar in the mid 80s. We also had Roger Rothhaar for a seminar in that same time frame. Small Club, but neat opportunities that I count a privilege...    :campfire:    I got my First Black Widow (Black HS60 takedown) in 1987, still have it today....   :goldtooth:

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
He also highly favored Rocky Mt Recurves - when I asked him, Widows and Rocky MT recurves were his two favorites (and not necessarily in that order).
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Myles is a cool guy.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Interesting how many of the guys who were whitetail hunting icons have faded into the background and became "whatever happened to..." trivia.  Another well-known whitetail hunter from that era was Russell Hull from Kansas.  Have heard very little of him for a long time.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I think what happens is they mostly don't want to "sell out" so to speak. By that I mean they are not willing to fit the proverbial role of what the younger generation is doing. Guitar riffs, hip hop music in the background, plugging every company under the sun. And age has a lot to do with it as well. some just can't keep up with the demands of going from outfitter to outfitter and expo to expo endorsing products.

here is the interview where he talks about his days with the recurve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©