3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too Many &^%#& Acorns  (Read 595 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Too Many &^%#& Acorns
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm hunting NW Jersey and have had a heck of a time locating deer, on both public and private land. There are acorns all over the place. Don't remember when I saw so many. Wondering if others in the northeast are experiencing the same problem. I did go out today and put up a new stand at the edge of a cornfield and while securing the stand heard things falling about twenty feet behind the stand. Well, lawdy, lawdy, it was a huge white oak and it was raining acorns. The white oaks aren't as productive as the red and chestnut this year but when one is found, it can be gold. The deer seem to prefer them to the other varieties. Am I accurate in my assessment or just a plain lousy hunter? Don't hold back. I have thick skin.    :biglaugh:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too Many &^%#& Acorns
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
My oak stands are worthless this year due to a LACK of acorns. Wish I had your problem! We are having to try to intercept them heading to the fields and with the fickle wind are having the most difficulty in years.

When there have been lots of hard mast we have been successful looking for mature white oaks. Right now our deer are hitting persimmons, apples and grasses.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Our acorn are going nuts here. Seems like every tree is dropping. I don't see it as a problem but yeah, you cannot just pick one for sure.

Heck, I don't think my deer have to move more than 10 Yds to get food, shelter and water, they are just laying in the thick stuff letting acorn drop into their mouth lol
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
We are going to have a bumper crop this year also.  

I find if you walk enough, AND LOOK ENOUGH, the deer always pick out certain  trees to eat the acorns while they leave the rest for later.  

Don't necessarily know what causes one to be more appealing than another but it is always the case.  Just pay attention to the sign and good luck.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
It's been hard hunting since the acorns started dropping here in CT. The deer are moving but they are moving  inconsistently.

BUT I will kill a deer this weekend with my new stalker wolverine. It's happening    :archer2:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Dave, I live in North West N.J., like you said have never seen this many acorns, I have seen some deer and was able to connect, but not seeing the numbers, due to the acorns.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
we have more acorns than Iv e ever seen here in CT

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
I walk to my stands on top of acorns, hardly ever touching the ground.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
I can feel your pain, we had that problem in Carolina last season.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Acorns all over the place here as well. Deer are moving but not much since acorns are so abundant in my area making the hunting a bit tough.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm feeling your pain fnshtr.  Nothing here either. Still was able to harpoon a big doe with the Super D though.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Just Googled why deer like whites over reds. Seems the whites have less tannin than reds. Tannin is bitter so the deer logically gravitate toward the whites.

Hey Scott. You and I are armed with the same weapon, a Stalker Wolverine. Mine is an FXT and 47# @28. Great bows. I'm also predicting success by this weekend.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Your just a lousy bowhunter    :biglaugh:

Only kidding Dave...not sure if I'm going to make Jersey. Just brought the wife home today from her hip replacement surgery and the next 3 weeks I'll be nursing her at home so my bow hunting will be severely limited this fall.

Family first...killing deer second....I will be out behind my home and 1/2 mile from the house next week as she progresses. Don't shoot that albino or piebald...give me first dibs!!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Acorns are so abundant here and falling like rain. Hard to pattern where deer might show up.
Never wait too long!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I had that problem here last year, acorns everywhere. It does make for tough hunting.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Some years or better than others. Like you said the White Oak is gold... If I may suggest putting fertilizer stakes around the Oak trees in the Spring time that you like to hunt in the Fall. By simply putting the fertilizer stakes around the drip line you will guarantee that the deer will wear out your tree. Good Luck!!!

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
I set up on public land in south NJ this afternoon...found a tree dropping tons of acorns and threw the climber up.....2 fat does came out to munch on them buuuutt I missed.  They've been hard to pattern but I've been hanging by the spots with the freshest tracks.  Very hit or miss so far.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Last year, the acorns were crazy down here. This year there are not many where I hunt, and the ones that are here seem to be scrawny!

I hate it when there are a lot of them!

Bisch

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Lots of acorns here and no deer!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
We have a ton as well. You just have to find the trees they seem to prefer over the others. They will eat them first then move on to others
I love Bow Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©