3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 701 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I need help!
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
I can shoot in my yard all day and shot great. Put a deer in front of me, well let's just say, adrenaline kills me. I shake so bad. I struggle to pick a spot. I've missed two deer already. The second dropped further than I've ever seen a deer drop but still, I missed. Now my confidence is in the trash and I shake worse. What are some mental things I can practice to work through this? I need help.

Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
I don't know the answer, but I do know it gets somewhat easier to control your emotions once you get a few under your belt!

At least you had missed, and not wounds that ended up with unrecovered deer!

Good luck to you!

Bisch

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
I used to get the nervousness, even when using a rifle, and what worked for me is hunting while hungry.  I hunted in the morning and didn't eat before I went, I did bring something for when I was done hunting though.

I think some scientific biological stuff happens between my brain and the rest of me when my brain is in survival mode.  I find myself focusing on the task at hand as if the stalk and the shot is detrimental, instead of simply shooting a deer.

But it might not work for everyone.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
When you STOP shaking, it's time to stop hunting!!! One day, it will all come together...
Usually it will happen with a "quick shot" where you have no time to think, and your "instinct" takes over. If you think you shake now... Wait untill THAT happens!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
What Woodchucker said.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
When you STOP shaking, it's time to stop hunting!!! One day, it will all come together...
Usually it will happen with a "quick shot" where you have no time to think, and your "instinct" takes over. If you think you shake now... Wait untill THAT happens!!!!!
I agree with this! But for me it is a little different. When I first see a critter that I think is a shooter, I usually get some shakes. When I decide it is time to shoot, all that goes away, and I don't feel nervous at all. I know my heartrate and breathing rate are still elevated, but I feel solid as a rock. It is after I see my arrow hit the critter that I start shaking like crazy, especially if it is cold out!

Bisch

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
I like what Mike said......hunt hungry.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
Gonna be hard.  But how about a little psychology.
Go hunting. But NOT with the intent to shoot. You've obviously had some opportunities. There will be more. Go out. Take your bow. Sit in stand. Spend time observing the animals and get control of your physiology. Just watch them. Take some pictures of them. MENTALLY go through the the motions of shooting them. Maybe shoot some squirrels here and there So you can practice on live animals. Then after a while when you feel you may have gotten better  control of the shot. Give it a go..

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
I started having that problem with my rifle hunting. I learned to stop, take a breath and focus solely on the SPOT I want to hit, not the animal. I found I did a lot better.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I walk around all year and acquire targets, pick spots and shoot it ( in my head).  Dogs, cats, squirrels, deer, cows.  Go to Cabelas or Gander Mtn if you have one and walk up to their various mounts and do the same.  Acquire, pick a spot, aim shoot.

Work into the real game.  It is the same...
ChuckC

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
I picked up this tip from some military snipers and martial arts.

Three slow deeps breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth.

Oxygenates the blood while giving time to focus on the task at hand.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
X2 what Dorado said.

Look only at the spot you want to hit, not the whole animal until after the arrow hits.
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Another thing is to focus on the shot sequence.

Draw
anchor
Pick a spot
Focus
Release
Follow through
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Yes...it'll be hard to do, but next few deer you see, unless it's a gimme shot ultra close, just watch. Let your heart rate slow. If the deer is still around once it slows, then try a shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Bob, what you're experiencing is pressure.  People in an archery tournament may experience similar pressure, as some people might if they have to make a business presentation in front of a group, or perhaps someone who would like to ask a girl out on a date.  If it helps you any, psychologists have shown that nobody performs their best under pressure.  People say they do, but they don't.  Your tongue gets tied in front of a group, you sound like an idiot in front of the girl, or all your normal brain/body connections that work so well when you're practicing a shot somehow get disconnected.

Some people do perform better if they are competing, but if they do, it's because competing is a positive experience for them, and not one that causes them to feel pressure.  What causes pressure for one person might not cause pressure for the next.

If you are feeling pressure in any of the situations I mentioned above, or a lot of situations I didn't mention, you can't wish it away.  Accept it, and promise yourself that you'll do the best you can, which probably won't be as good as the best you could possibly do.  All the advice above is good.  The more you expose yourself to pressure situations, the better you'll be able to deal with them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I am exhibit A. After well over a hundred deer with a bow, I still can loose it on a fat doe. Never on a buck. I will say that if I focus on the spot that I want to hit from the moment I see the deer I do ok. When I start watching their eyes or their movements and trying to guess what they are going to,do I get nervous.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
Have you killed any small game, that may help. Maybe telling yourself  your shooting at a spot not a deer.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Im with Matty. Just go out but dont intend to shoot. Get used to deer being in close and watch them. Just observe.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Bob, what you're experiencing is pressure.  People in an archery tournament may experience similar pressure, as some people might if they have to make a business presentation in front of a group, or perhaps someone who would like to ask a girl out on a date.  If it helps you any, psychologists have shown that nobody performs their best under pressure.  People say they do, but they don't.  Your tongue gets tied in front of a group, you sound like an idiot in front of the girl, or all your normal brain/body connections that work so well when you're practicing a shot somehow get disconnected.

Some people do perform better if they are competing, but if they do, it's because competing is a positive experience for them, and not one that causes them to feel pressure.  What causes pressure for one person might not cause pressure for the next.

If you are feeling pressure in any of the situations I mentioned above, or a lot of situations I didn't mention, you can't wish it away.  Accept it, and promise yourself that you'll do the best you can, which probably won't be as good as the best you could possibly do.  All the advice above is good.  The more you expose yourself to pressure situations, the better you'll be able to deal with them.
That is very solid info, McDave!!!!!!

Bisch

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
I too agree with Mcdave. I know about this problem. Have experienced it way too often. And taking a lot of game is NOT a cure. I've taken lots of game and still battle the pressure to perform.

This is tough to get control of. Sort of like target panic. When you get your next shot, and you will, talk to yourself. Tell yourself to relax, take your time. Draw hold and let up. Breath deeply as suggested by others. When you feel in control, go through your normal shot sequence. Pick a spot where you need the arrow to hit.
Relax... And perform the shot. I sometimes have imagine a leaf or stump where I want to hit. It takes control. You can do it!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©