3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kodiak Mag vs Grizzly  (Read 2320 times)

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Mag vs Grizzly
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Has anyone shot both these bows,which one did you like shooting the most.
      I skoot a Kodiak Mag and have no complaints,but wonder how much difference the 4" makes?
                               Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Mag vs Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
I would be interested to hear from people who have shot a grizzly and a super grizzly. How do they stack up?

Never shot a Kmag, maybe I'll get the chance next time im at a pro shop
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
I've shot both. The Kodiak Magnum is a good little shooter, but a little short which brings slight finger pinch under my ring finger. The Grizzly is an amazing bow. I have two. The style definitely lends itself to a great point-and-shootablility. The classic Kodiak is also an amazing bow.
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
I have 2 recurves a KMag and a Grizzly, both 45#. I shoot both about the same - just takes a few arrows to get used to the difference if I switch. I draw 28.5 so I don't have a super long draw; that might make a difference if you have a longer draw. I hunted with the Grizzly last year and I'm using the KMag this year. If a deer hadn't have moved on me last Saturday the KMag would have a doe to it's name - the shot was a good double lung shot if it hadn't moved - it is a very nice stand hunting bow and quite shootable.
SWA Spyder

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
If I was going to pick only one of those two it'd be the Grizzly.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Longtoke I have no experience with kmag but I own a grizzly and have shot the super grizzly several times.. I really didnt notice a big difference between the two.  Especially for another 100 dollars.  I actually prefer the look and stain on the grizzly.. The super grizzly is supposed to just have a double core of maple for smoother draw and the riser has an accent wood in it.  For me it didnt warrant the price difference.  It might have been a little smoother but nothing too noticeable.

That being said I would love to own the greyling green kmag....... drool... but longbow is next on the list me thinks.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Veneficus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
I like the kodiak magnum much better.  I have a 50 anniversary model and it has been a great bow. I dont like the grizzly because the back of the bow at the grip is too square and I dont like how it feels on my index finger it is uncomfortable to me at least.
I havent shot a new grizzly but have old ones I have a super grizzly(when I sent in my super kodiak under warrenty a few years ago they mailed me a super kodiak AND a super grizzly. I told them not to send it because it was on the return invoice but they did anyways.)
If I HAD to choose I would take a super grizz over a grizzly and a kodiak magnum over both of them.
Just personal preference.

Offline Veneficus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I should add I have a hair over a 29 inch draw length and I have no finger pinch and no stacking with the kodiak magnum.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
If you are looking for an older version of these models, remember that the looks, feel, and even length changed of the years.  The KM was always 52", but the Grizz has been 62", 56", and the now 58" and may have been another length.  

The KM from 1962-65 were great as was the Griz of 1959-67.  

Both are fine bows and hard to pick just one, and since cost is of no concern, just get one of each.
Lon Scott

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
The K mag is a shorter bow and if you have a longer draw length may stack up or even be simply too short a bow for you. The shortness of the kmag makes it a bit nicer in the stand for still hunting.  The Grizzly is an excellent all around bow, it is still fine out of a stand.

I find the K mag less forgiving of a marginal release, it accentuates you errors in form.

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Both are fine bows and hard to pick just one, and since cost is of no concern, just get one of each. [/QB]
Blackhawk,That's really what I"m doing,trying to convince myself
To buy another bow!
Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Never shot a Super Grizzly but shot a lot of Grizzly and K Mags', all Grayling. On balance, I shoot the Grizzly better and do better with a KMag if I stay at or below 50#. A 1968 Grizzly is 56" AMO and many have goncala alves (tigerwood) risers. A very handsome, serviceable hunting bow.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
The biggest difference between the two,(beside length) is the grip. The K-Mag has a high wrist grip, like the old K-Hunter. The Grizzly has a lower, "medium" grip. Which I personally prefer... Both are fantastic shooters!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BowArkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
The biggest difference between the two,(beside length) is the grip. The K-Mag has a high wrist grip, like the old K-Hunter. The Grizzly has a lower, "medium" grip. Which I personally prefer... Both are fantastic shooters!!!!!
Yep, exactly and I prefer the high grip on kmag. Fits my hand perfect!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©