3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Weather Gear: opinions needed! (Made a Decision)  (Read 1110 times)

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold Weather Gear: opinions needed! (Made a Decision)
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Alright guys, its time for me to start thinking about some new cold weather gear for this warm blooded southern boy.

You guys from up north are going to laugh at me but this white boy gets cold easily in our mild southern climate!

I use Kuiu most of the year until it gets cold for us 20-40F, where for the past few years have been using Browning full curl jacket/bib combo. I have the jacket not the parka which doesn't exactly keep me toasty and I have outgrown the bibs horizontally. These are fairly warm but not windproof which I think is my problem while sitting stationary in a stand.

So here are the three options I have come up with and I'm sure I will get alot of opinions on this but oh well:

1)KOM bumwarmer pants, and GFA pathfinder hoodie. Of course i will layer with merino under but is the GFA wool really that warm?

2)First Lite Sanctuary parka/bib combo. I have never used this stuff but have heard good things and a slightly better price point than Sitka.

3) Sitka Fanatic jacket/bib combo. I have always heard this combo is warm with the windblocker material, and really think the new "fleecy" material will be quite, but dang its pricey..

All opinions will be greatly appreciated, especially from others that get cold like I do!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Weather Gear: opinions needed! (Made a Decision)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Lots of options.  Throwing some out to you.  You are right, the resistance to wind can make or break your clothing warmth.  I have a set of golf "wind shirt" and pants that I sometimes wear under a layer, to break the wind.  A vest adds chest warmth with no additional arm bulk, which gets tough on bow shooting.  Keep your chest warm and you hardly need sleeves.

I have, in past days, opted to wear layers of sweaters and vests with an XXL or larger camo T shirt over the top.  Cheap, kept me warm, worked.   Remember the thing about sleeves and bulk.  You don't need a lot on your arms.

Of course, then there is good quality wool. . . .

BTW, an investment in good quality wool under drawers and shirt is really worth your while.
ChuckC

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck,

Very sound advice.

I do have a good bit of Merino that I layer with that does help, and I do love a vest!I have found when i start to layer too much with merino and such, it really starts to restrict my movement in terms of drawing..

I know layering is key to warms, but would really like to get away from SO many layers and have a good warm outer layer.

I will certainly keep you advice in mind.

Thank you.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
If 20-40 is cold plus the wind chill,Heater Body Suit! No more heavy layering!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
If your mainly hunting from a treestand, I might suggest one of those heater body suits. That's what I plan to do next time I draw a tag. Get to hot walking in if I dress warm enough for the stand!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys,

I know those things are warm, but would rather not lug it around, or try to move around to get out of it when a man shows up out of nowhere.

They just look way to cumbersome.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
The rut and after rifle season can get brutal weather wise here in kansas. The best I have is merino wool base layers, followed by either a wool or fleece sweater, a wool browning full curl coat and columbia wool bibs. I also use one of those hand warming muffs, really keeps the hands toasty. I look a little like I raided a sheep farm but it keeps me good down into the 10 degree range.

Gabe

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
I'm sold on the GFA wool.... quality made and really knocks the edge off windchills.

I'm just waiting for it to cool off enough to wear it!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by TradBrewSC:
Thanks guys,

I know those things are warm, but would rather not lug it around, or try to move around to get out of it when a man shows up out of nowhere.

They just look way to cumbersome.
They are basically just a cloak, from what I understand you just stand up out of it. I hear what your saying to though, I believe they stuff down pretty good for packing in. I carry a pretty capable day pack in and out everyday on years I get to hunt deer out on the plains. It's cold enough here sometimes that if you get enough clothes on, it's can be to bulky, string clearance can be troublesome! Other real option is heavy wool or buy the hand/body warmers in bulk;-)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by goingoldskool:
I'm sold on the GFA wool.... quality made and really knocks the edge off windchills.

Rodd
Thanks Rod,

Do you think the heavyweight material used in the pathfinder series plus merino layers would be sufficient for what I am describing for upper body? I may throw in one of my old filson wool vests under there as well.

thanks again for the help guys.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
I'm kind of a hunting clothes snob. Lol! Wore the best wool available for years and years. For sitting in a cold treestand nothing is better than the Sitka Fanatic setup. It's just the best. I wear their merino wool top and bottom. Then Traverse top. Then Fanatic. That's it. This has been the best for me so far down to 15 degrees in high winds. Good luck!

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I'm kind of a hunting clothes snob. Lol! Wore the best wool available for years and years. For sitting in a cold treestand nothing is better than the Sitka Fanatic setup. It's just the best. I wear their merino wool top and bottom. Then Traverse top. Then Fanatic. That's it. This has been the best for me so far down to 15 degrees in high winds. Good luck!
Thanks man!

I'm quite the gear snob as well haha, and really like the new pattern and look of the new fanatic material.

I know all my kuiu will be great for the base layer, and may just need pucker up and buy the set and take the beating from my wife.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I like Sitka Gear and use it exclusively in Iowa.  All my other clothing has been retired.  By adding or subtracting base layers and vests I can stay comfortable from 75F to -10F.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanks John.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
I'll just echo Jon and John. I've tried just about everything out there and my Sitka Gear is the best I've worn. I've sat all day in in November in Iowa and Kansas with a hi of 13. I've sat with my son in a ground blind in Wisconsin over Christmas till almost noon at -4 in Fanatics. The only reason we got out was because he arrowed his turkey. Confortably; no heater.

If you use the Sitka as a system as it was designed, not just a piece or two to "magically" transform the rest of your clothes into something they are not, you will be pleased.

I've had the same experience with Sitka and their mountain hunting gear. Never been uncomfortable from 85 to -23 hunting antelope, elk, sheep, mountain lion, etc. when I use the proper system.

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice Steve.

I think Fanatic is the way I want to go, the hard part will be getting my wife to agree that $800 dollars for a jacket and a set of bibs is a justifiable purchase haha. Most hens don't seem to understand this kind of thing.. In her mind the stuff hanging on the rack at wally world is the same thing!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
I think what you put next to your skin is very important. That and having one layer act as a wind breaker. It doesn't have to be thick at all....

I never got sucked into all the fancy cold weather gear, because when i was working in -30 to -40 degree weather in alaska that expensive stuff wouldn't hold up to construction work conditions.

I spent a whole winter working outside in seriously cold conditions and found that dressing in thin layers was the key. having something that pulls any moisture from sweat away from your skin is critical......

Now this may sound a little strange, but many of the guys i worked with in Alaska used women's panty hose or better yet those tights made from thicker material under their cotton long johns to keep their legs warm. Especially guys running equipment where they spent a lot of time sitting. I got the tip from a fork lift operator, and tried it myself..... It made a HUGE difference in staying warm....

The only warning i have is stay away from your wife's stocking drawer, and go buy your own....

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

Very sound advice, however It may be difficult to convince myself to slip into some panty hose haha! However I am sure that it would keep you warm!

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by TradBrewSC:

Originally posted by goingoldskool:

Rodd
Thanks Rod,

Do you think the heavyweight material used in the pathfinder series plus merino layers would be sufficient for what I am describing for upper body? I may throw in one of my old filson wool vests under there as well.

thanks again for the help guys. [/b]
I would think that it would be enough, but it all depends on how well you handle the cold..... I don't wear much under mine, that's me.

Hope this helps.....

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Tradbrew, if you are really serious about jumping into Sitka Gear you should consider waiting until the end of the year when a lot of Sitka Gear goes on sale, often discounted 20-30% off the normal retail price.  Most people will tell you that Sitka Gear tends to be a bit small.  Order one size larger than what you would normally wear, especially if you plan to wear it over base layers or other clothing.  Do online searches for Sitka Gear on sale.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©