3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Weather Gear: opinions needed! (Made a Decision)  (Read 1109 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Weather Gear: opinions needed! (Made a Decision)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
I have quit hunting when it is below zero; just not fun anymore. However, I did go out like an idiot and kill a deer last year when it was 2 degrees with a 30 mph wind. I don't know what the wind chill factor was, but it wasn't pretty. Anyway, long johns, wool pants, a flannel shirt, and heavy Asbell wool on top along with a heavy wool hat, pack boots and chemical hand warmers and foot warmers made it at least tolerable. The bad part was gutting the deer, and the foot of snow on the ground didn't help. I doubt you will ever have to face similar conditions in SC, so I'm thinking that some long johns, wool pants and Asbell pullover would be more than sufficient. I am sold on wool for keeping cozy.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Look into Raven Wear also.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Kirkll is right:  dress in layers.  I use wool, but prefer some of the polyesters because they physically weigh less.  

One problem with wool is that it allows wind through.  I always wear some kind of windblocker closer to the outer garment than inner garment.  It makes a huge difference with wool where the wool (or polyester) traps your body heat and the windblocker doesn't allow it to escape due to a light breeze.

And, remember your neck and head.  An enormous amount of heat can be lost from your neck and/or head if you aren't properly dressed.  On the other hand, if your neck, head, and kidneys are properly covered, your hands and feet won't get cold nearly as easily.  So, you can wear thiner gloves and have good dexterity with  feel and touch, which is very important.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I agree with the idea of layering, especially under clothes. I find a layer of silk against the skin, same as you find in the ski catalogs is tops. Next is a layer of merino wool long handles. On top I wear wool sometimes or military BDU's sometimes. Gloves, face mask, and hat are also very important. Do not wear cotton close to your skin - it will absorb moisture and freeze your butt. It is sometimes a good idea to carry your outer jacket to the stand so you don't work up a sweat while walking in.
Sam

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
Forget everything else.... Heater Body Suit... You will never be cold again or your money back...!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
What about foot wear, it has to be warm, have traction, and still be able to outrun the area moose.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm with the rest of the Sitka guys, the system works I can work my stratus in with my fanatic and mix and match for a variety of conditions! By far the best hunting investment I've ever made
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys, a lot of great info here and much to consider.

Please keep it coming.

Feet wise I believe I'm good. I have been using some 1000g lacrosse rubbers, but think I may upgrade to the muck boot artic pro. A buddy has them and swears by them. He too is a southern white boy that gets cold haha.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »
If you want sitka  gear check out a website called  Story Creek Inc. they have the best prices Ive seen on sitka or first lite. Ive also seen some great deals on amazon for sitka, last years model. You would save around 150-300 dollars on the fanatic set.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline uncle bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
Cabelas "wooltimate" fleece bibs with "wind shear". Like others have said here, buy at the end of the season when its on sale. You pay down to half of the original price. Good luck.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
I have day one and gray wolf wool and also a heater body suit.

The fanatic stuff is interesting (even though I really don't need it) but I hate that camo pattern and to justify it at that price I would want predator or ASAT.
BD

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I'm a wool guy in the cold. Nothing fancy really. The pants are medium weight that I use a medium thermal and a pair of golf wind pants under. On top I like the wind shear wool pullover with the medium thermal. I'll have a golf wind shirt with me in case it gets real windy. The jacket is a wool/fleece blend. All of this was purchased from Cabela's and was very reasonably priced. I've used this set up in the late season in NY which can be rough

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
I agree merino wool base layers I found suit me best. I have several items of both Sitka and KUIU can't go wrong with either
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
So after bouncing around with all those ideas I ending up going with something different all together that I am excited about trying..

I have invested enough into my Kuiu gear that I want to stick with that w/ a little something added. With all my kuiu layers it is warm but with any wind on the stand it cuts through you being that it is meant to be used on an active mountain hunt.

I recently found that LL Bean offers PrimaLoft windproof top and bottom base layers that seem like they will fit the bill perfectly for me.

With my Merino layers, PrimaLoft, then Kuiu guide Jacket/Pants and pac boots I am thinking it will work for hours in the stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©