3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many sits in a stand before moving on?  (Read 625 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
How many sits in a stand before moving on?
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
When you guys move in on a new spot/ stand site. How many sits will you give it if you don't see anything?

I realize funnel/rut stand may be differant. But generally?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many sits in a stand before moving on?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
Usually 3.... but I leave the stands up in case  I see movement when scouting. If other stands are hot, I won't go back to them at all.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
I try not to sit the same stand twice a week unless there is a very good reason. I don't absndon the spot, just let them rest. If I saw nothing there, a different time of day or a different part of the season or just a different day can pay off. If it's a good spot I'll visit it throughout the season. I have a few stands that I hunt whenever we have an east wind, even if it's a few sits in a row because there is no way a deer can get downwind of me and entry and exit are extremely low impact. I have shot opportunities there almost every sit, but I'm usually waiting for the right deer. I have hunted spots that looked perfect and never seen a deer from them, no matter what. I usually will pop in once a season but have learned to just give up on them.
So I guess the answer is that it all depends.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
I have my own property with about 5 semi-permanent stands, which I typically rotate.  That way no one stand is overly hunted.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
"Usually 3.... but I leave the stands up in case I see movement when scouting. If other stands are hot, I won't go back to them at all."

X2
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
I think it all depends on what your hunting.  Public land where you're relying on oak trees, then I would let them tell me when to move on.  I am trying something different this year and trying to always hunt a hot area.  I usually hunt the same place for as many sits as possible, but I want to have more highly effective hunts this year.  

this year there is not many acorns.  I walked around 10 miles in 3 hunts this past weekend and only found 3 trees that had good action under them and 2 of them were mediocre at best.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Veneficus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Two.
 I stopped using tree stands but if I still did I would give it maybe 3 since I wouldnt want to move it.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
It's so hard finding a tree in the spots I hunt here in Colorado that I basically never move it, might move once though if I'm not seeing deer at all. Nothing but giant Cottonwoods! I plan on buying a climber to add an option for the one tree out of several hundred that will accept one, 1-several hundred is probably not much of an exaggeration on the ratio of trees that will accept a climber here and it's actually not much better for hangons either! In a perfect world, I'd probably never sit the same place two days in a row unless it was just working that good for whatever reason!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I usually don't hunt the same stand twice in one season..unless..let me explain...

First I have over 6k acres I hunt. private land. it's a hunt club with 30 members and only 5 bowhunters. 2nd. the wind plays a huge role in where I sit. I have over 60 stand sites and many more I have not actually hunted yet. I live an hour away from the land, so i get one day a week to hunt it, and I want to learn every acre and the only way to do it is to hunt a different stand each week. Now, I will hunt a stand more than once if I have a good buck there, or I am seeing lots of deer there and nowhere else. I have been doing this for 5 years and it has worked well for me.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Public land yes.
I always take good stock in poop. Literally if there is not much fresh poo. I don't consider it very good it here no poop. Unless I'm hunting a buck n look for faint trails with rubs
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
It's so hard finding a tree in the spots I hunt here in Colorado that I basically never move it, might move once though if I'm not seeing deer at all. Nothing but giant Cottonwoods! I plan on buying a climber to add an option for the one tree out of several hundred that will accept one, 1-several hundred is probably not much of an exaggeration on the ratio of trees that will accept a climber here and it's actually not much better for hangons either! In a perfect world, I'd probably never sit the same place two days in a row unless it was just working that good for whatever reason!
I feel ya, only trees you can find where i'm at are in a creek or canyon and then good luck finding a semi straight cottonwood out there.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I never hunt the same tree twice unless its a week or so apart, may only move 50 yds in my climber but never in same tree 2 days in a row.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Twice and I'm outta there
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Basinboy:
Corey,

is that 2 back to back sits or does it matter if there is time between those sits?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I space my sits out to let the area settle,  but will not usually abandon the site for lack of activity. Not seeing anything 2, 3, 4 times doesn't discourage me.  I've taken a couple nice bucks off stands that I logged a ton of hours in seeing nothing.  But I knew it was a good spot and knew it was only a matter of time if I was patient enough to put in the hours.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
I have one area,when the wind is right, that I sit in the same spot and watch the surrounding slopes for deer movement.  When I see a deer I want to go after, I play the head them off at the pass game.  Hunting pressure there makes a continually shifting pattern, an aggressive techique, but it has worked for years.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
I do not hunt any stand more than once in a two week period. When I do hunt anything could go wrong much never known to us but a second sit with no sighting and I am gone.

Thats September - October - December - January

November might find me working a particular funnel more often - But I doubt I would hunt more than twice in one week even then - and again if no sightings I cancel that spot
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
2 times of nothing and I'll never be back...If I haven't had a shot 3 times in a row I move on or move the stand is I think my placement may be a bit off.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by Basinboy:
Corey,

is that 2 back to back sits or does it matter if there is time between those sits? [/b]
Mostly back to back. I'll hunt a morning and evening. If nothing seen I'm moving. I scout continuously so I always have other spots. That way if I see someone parked near a spot I wanted to hunt, I go somewhere else that I have already scouted out.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
2-3 times of getting skunked..or the deer aren't in shooting range..Im proly gonna move the setup.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©