3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many sits in a stand before moving on?  (Read 626 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many sits in a stand before moving on?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
I sat the same stand 9 times in the last two weeks. Have seen the same bucks multiple times from that stand. Have only used three stands total since season came in on September 26th.

I hunt private land. I think we can over complicate this thing. I sit where the deer are traveling, noting the wind direction and try not to overuse one stand. I would say it is over used when the deer start to avoid it.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Two, sometimes three.
Sam

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Ideally I find a new spot with good sign when going out after a morning hunt. I'll hunt that new spot that evening and the next morning. If I don't see anything I'll move on to another spot.

If I do see something I'll keep hunting it till I don't..then move on and probably come back in a wk or two according to what and how many I saw or if I killed something.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Depends on where I am and what happens.  If on Public land and I get people walking through one of the sits, I will give it 4-5. On the private farm I hunt, Its not uncommon to go 1 week without a sighting so I usually will sit it 3-4 times per season before changing the location..
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
I have a half dozen stand sites on 124 acres. I've killed 6 deer from the same cedar tree over 5 years. Passed up many times that  (small bucks). I don't pass up does.

Some times I'll go 3-4 sits and not see a deer.  

Last season I finally put a stand in a huge old cedar that I've walked by for years. It is a very nice "edge stand". I hunted it 4-5 times over two months and never even saw a deer. I reluctantly pulled the stand last winter and will simply ignore this tree from now on.

Every time I hunt I walk by a stand in a huge old oak, among four oaks on a 1 acre open knob that I've killed 3-4 deer and my son has killed one from it. I haven't hunted that tree since 2009.

According to all the "experts" I hunt my best stands too much. They are probably right.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I tend to move a lot based on deer sightings or lack there of.  Usually when I find a spot I will sit on it and then hang a camera when I leave. What I see on the camera will determine whether or not I hunt it again.  I just pulled a card and had a lot of does moving through at night and just a couple sightings during the day (camera was out for a week).  I will sit that spot once this week and hang the camera along that trail but further  back in hopes of catching more deer during daylight. Hoping that there is a staging area back there so I'll keep leap frogging my camera and my spot back until I find it. I like to put my camera on a spot before I sit it if i think its a good area. This way I can see whats going on without disturbing it.  In general I only hunt one spot at maximum two days a week. If its an area that I can get to without laying too much scent down or crossing many deer trails I might sit it an extra day.  I have one area that is near some thick bedding cover and I will only hit that spot once a week so I don't push deer out. I have to cross a few trails to get there.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
It was my 14th sit in  the same stand when I killed the buck in my thread "WV buck down".  seen 3 bucks that morning from the same stand. You can "overstay your welcome", but sometimes it takes several sits.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©