3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck or Doe Decoy during the Rut  (Read 338 times)

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Buck or Doe Decoy during the Rut
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
So what do you think?  Buck or Doe decoy during the peak of the Rut?

BT

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck or Doe Decoy during the Rut
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
I use Montana Decoys so I use both now but have used just the doe in the past, I haven't gotten a real big buck to come into them though, I think for the big smart bucks on public land a 3d one would work better. If I had private land to hunt and could drive near enough my spot, I'd use a 3d buck, often when a buck is tending a doe, she will lay down and be out of sight anyways, so I don't think it would be surprising for a real buck if he came into a combination of bleating and grunting calls and he sees a buck but no doe. Next time I get a tag, I might buy another Montana buck decoy so I can place it 90° to the other one so they are visible from 360°!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
I'll throw in $.02 worth...

Watched a lot of the Primos and other videos / DVD's.

The consensus is that a doe decoy will have you going out to reset i t if a buck comes in cause he will try to mount it... (is that like what a taxidermist does?)

With a buck, they're spoiling for a fight and won't check up till they confront the buck... Sometimes broad siding it.

Thing is, i'm guessing t here has to be a pretty good balanced ratio of buck:Doe to get that response... public land? Dunno.  Never even seen a pair sparing on public land where I grew up.

We had a terrible imbalance of buck to doe ratio, so no surprise...they all had more does to play with then a body could handle! :0

Figure if the odds are in "buck" favor I'd go with t hat... some guys suggested NEVER spray lure on the decoy, cause they'd hide it in brush near their stand... but to spray it on ground under the decoy...fwiw.  

Just reporting. Other may have 1st hand...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Not sure I'll even use one but I have been thinking about it.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I've used a doe decoy before when I was in highschool. I think it was flambeau? Anyway I wouldn't use it again, didn't have much luck with it and every deer that came by was scared of it. The buck decoy on the other hand proved itself once but I had it out too far for a shot. I'd put that decoy almost right under your stand because sometimes they can hang up and get nervous or start to circle downwind (which is what happened in this case) I'd give it a try out there though. You should have a good doe/buck ratio and also you have open terrain so it would work well in conjunction with rattling,

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
I've tried both..... and I don't use any now.  Does scared of the doe decoy and if I used the buck decoy, the real buck had does wi t h him. Awful hard to pull a buck away from does that are smelling right to an unknown doe.

I have a buddy who uses both during the run and has luck. Not me...... must be my setups.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I've had great luck with Carry-Lite Buck Decoys leading up to the "Lock-Down" phase. During "Lock-Down" or right before you may try a Buck with a Bedded Doe setup. Otherwise doe. The does will be attracted to the doe decoy and usually get wiggy with the whole deal, then they snort/blow/create all kinds of stomping commotion and ruin everything. Sometimes they mess with the future hunts too as they have a memory & curiosity. They don't seem to mess with or get wiggy with the Buck Decoy. Right before or during "Lock-Down", I believe the bucks want a doe more than they want to fight... My two cents. The buck decoy will work for sure, getting a shot at a stationary animal will be up to you and your setup. Stating the obvious here, but you use the decoy to bring a buck in close when he has many choices or from afar. I wouldn't put a decoy right on a trail that you already have a repeatable pattern. Also, the more open & visible the decoy the better. You do not want to surprise a deer with a decoy in close quarters. Field edges, openings, draws, etc. work better than in a timber situation. Exciting way to hunt, but not risk free. Just a few thoughts....

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
It seems to spoke them when I tried it.  I think no movement is the problem.  Maybe I just have smarter deer around here.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
It seems to spoke them when I tried it.  I think no movement is the problem.  Maybe I just have smarter deer around here.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
If you are using a doe decoy with no luck, you can easily turn it into a buck with 3 or 4 inch spikes by clipping two cloths-pins on the head of a two-D doe, or stabbing into head of a 3-D. Bucks might not want to fight, but they know they need to be respected by a spike buck and may come close to run him out of there. Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©