3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indiana thread here......  (Read 1248 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Indiana thread here......
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Wonder what my fellow Hoosiers are seeing afield.

I've hunted a few evenings so far and have seen very few deer.  We've had another rough outbreak of EHD around here (SW part of the state).

I hope that many of you will post here as the season rolls along.

PS, I think that the White Oaks around here have zero acorns this year, though many red oaks are dropping acorns pretty well.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indiana thread here......
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Have been out six times and have not seen one damn deer! Mind you I have hunted these woods for years and normally see ten a sit.. Who knows, getting cool tonight so I will sit again in the morning. I am in the NW and no news of any EHD.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I didn't see a lot on trail cams, but just an average number, doe and yearlings, young and old bucks, but not a lot.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
I have hopes of hunting the Pigeon River area but haven't had a chance to scout yet.  I live about 20 miles away in Michigan.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Not much here in the Peru area state lands. Saw 2 doe with a set of yearlings on opening day. Nothing the other 2 times I was out.
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
I see a few doe and yearlings every time I'm out at Kingsbury, seems everyone I chat with thinks numbers are down there though..no EHD from what I've heard up here... I'll be going out again in the morning before work... Will keep updated as I can! I still have to post my first tale from the second day of season! Lol

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Here in East-Central Indiana, haven't been seeing much. I still have standing corn on my farm. Seems like they stay in that until it is harvested.
Overall, I do believe our herd has decreased a lot over the last few years. At least in my county, numbers seem to be down.

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
We have been doing pretty well here in Noble County. October 2nd had deer within 15 yards, but I hunt a corn field  and keep spooking them out when I go in. This last week was a but rough due to the heat, but I believe it is going to be a good year for us. My trail camera is showing several more does this yea as opposed to last.
"Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved."- Michel de Montaigne

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Drove through Indiana last week and saw a few nice ones in the fields.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
Numbers are down due to EHD but mostly due to the very liberal antlerless license quotas.  I haven't seen a deer afield yet.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
Sightings have been slow but I have seen a handful. Had a shot on one but right when I decided to let go the doe turned around and it hit the rump on the opposite side. Too bad because if it had stood still it would have been a good hit.
SWA Spyder

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
I haven't seen much at all in SE IN
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Western Putnam county here.... things extremely slow.  Deer numbers here probably 20% of what they were in 2010.  Mainly due to INDNR's EXTREMELY liberal antlerless quotas, all the additional seasons and methods, and the DNR's "kill em all" attitude.  EHD just polished them off in 2012 and pushed it past the tipping point.

A few still around, maybe will luck into a decent buck, but there is NO way I'll shoot a doe here in the next several years.

I've watched the steady decline here since I moved here in '98....its very sad.

R

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Another uneventful morning for deer, I was however covered up in turkey. I have a feeder in our pasture and do see deer there but still striking out in the woods. Guess that's why its called hunting. I agree with you Ryan, the DNR here does lack common sense in deer management. They should call Illinois DNR and find out what a real plan looks like.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I've only got to hunt three or four times. Had a couple good doe's come in on me the other evening, but the ole doe had  its eye on me so I couldn't get a shot. My son and I have jumped deer going in and coming out, but just haven't had any shot opportunity's yet.
Have a good season guys and gals

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Hunted Parke once and saw several.  Good population there still.  Hunted Monroe last weekend and saw a couple, no shots.  Hunting this Saturday and it should be perfect.  Found a deer highway that I'm going to hunt with the ghillie as there is only one scraggly tree for a stand.  Will be down in Jackson-Washington SF for the 9th annual Southern Indiana Bowhunt Oct 23-25.  Come on down.

http://sticknstring.webs.com/2015southerninbowhunt.htm
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Ugh, another day of seeing zero. Others have said they are seeing bucks chasing does up here near Peru.
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Seen 6 does come to cut bean field right at dark. This cooler weather headed our way should make for good weekend hunt.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
ZIP!! This is getting irritating. Before I walked to the woods this afternoon there was a yearling in the backyard just eating and watching me walk by, thought it was a good sign, but once in the woods just a couple of turkey and a few tree rats. I will be back out Sunday morning. Good luck my fellow Hoosiers!
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Lots and lots of rain! Any of my fellow Hoosiers having any luck?
I've been seeing some fresh scrapes. Not many deer though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©