3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 60 years a Bow Hunter  (Read 884 times)

Re: 60 years a Bow Hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    

I pray that I can still hunt when I am 80, or 90, or at least up till the day "they throw dirt in my face"!

Good luck, Ron!

Bisch

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Happy hunting   :archer2:

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Way to go!    :notworthy:

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Good luck Ron
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes.     :)    I wrote this poem a while ago, the older I get the more it applies

"Memories of yesterday"

Yesterday, when I was young  there were so many bows  just waiting to be strung  

so many feathered shafts  to send upon the wind  I never thought the time for that would ever end  

A thousand hunts I planned,  I dreamed they'd be so grand  but some just slipped away  like weak and shifting sand  

I never seemed to have the time to make them all real,  now late in life it seems  I've lost some of my zeal.  

Yesterday when I was young, the hills I climbed were steep but I crested them on the run  

now it seems the valleys  are where I prefer to be,  my legs are old, no longer  do they want to carry me.  

Youth and strength it seemed  could conquer anything,  no challenge left untried,  no bow I couldn't string  

I gave no thought to what  the future held for me,  I only knew that arrows  on the wind would set me free.

Now Yesterday has past me by,  but I still like to watch  my arrows as they fly,  

the bows I shoot are not  as heavy as before,  and I don't shoot them  quite as often anymore  

Those hunts of years gone by,  though they're in the past,  I have such sweet memories,  and those memories will last  

So I can relive again  those Golden times back when, those Golden times back when,... I was young
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Dang, I just turned 66, so you have been bowhunting since I was a little bitty piss ant! Congratulation, sir!
Sam

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
:notworthy:

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm just a couple years behind you in the number of years bowhunting my friend.  Time goes by so fast!  As I sat in my stand last evening I was reflecting on each year.  At least you shot at your first deer!  I stalked to within 20 yds. of mine and then it fed to within 5 of me and all I did was pull the bow back and let it up...I just couldn't let go!  Happy birthday by the way.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Ron, you've had a great many experiences with more to come.  You're opening story has been repeated many times. 39 years ago this fall, I had my first 'encounter' while bow hunting as a 15 year old. I was 'still hunting' on an island that was probably a mile long and half mile wide in West Bay off of the peninsula I grew up on in Northwest Lower MI.  They were having a special hunt to reduce the overgrown deer population.  My first opportunity of my bow hunting career came when a doe came along and at ten yards broadside my arrow hit the ground next to her front hooves! I shoot a little better than that now, however the thrill is still there for me.  I hope the thrill still continues for 25 more years until I'm your age as well and I hope your grandson Jordan get's that thrill next week at Shrewhaven.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
You started in 1955 Ron, the year I was born. Many more to come my friend!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
You started in 1955 Ron, the year I was born. Many more to come my friend!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
I had a young lady hold the door and call me Sir at the coffee shop this morning   :dunno:   .......Keep at it Ron and I hope you have great time at Shrew Haven this year.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Congrats Sir !

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Happy 60th ol boy. Keep em coming.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Congratulations Ron ... It's great to see the passion still burning after all those years.

I'm about ten years behind you on the date of my first shot at a deer and I still recall it like it was yesterday.

Good luck on your hunt this year !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
You are truly an archery and bow hunting icon, Mr. LaClair...... and I thank you for all that you have done and continue to do.  Thank You Sir!
   :campfire:

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
Congratulations Ron, I hope you have many more seasons to look foreward to! Have a great hunt with the crew at Shrewhaven. Looking foreward to reading it. Watch out for that Ghost of Armstrong Creek.  

Denny   :campfire:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
:notworthy:  Go get 'em, Sir
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Hope you bowhunt another twenty years...!  I'm at 28 years this season and can only pray I make 50.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment.  This is my 33rd season bow hunting, I hope I'm still going as strong as you are when I reach your age. And there's nothing wrong with a pretty girl holding the door for you in my book.  Good luck to you and all your fellow Shrew Haven camp mates.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©