3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting land: how small is too small?  (Read 327 times)

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting land: how small is too small?
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
I received an unsolicited invitation to hunt my neighbor's 2.5 acre wooded lot, which is adjacent to my 2.5 acres of woods and approximately 5 more acres of vacant land used for utility access.  So, in total, the property forms a "L" shape of about ten acres.  The entire plot is surrounded by suburbs.  Technically there is enough land for me to legally hunt (50+ yard buffers on all sides), but just because something is legal doesn't mean that I should do it.  My gut reaction is to pass, even though there are way too many deer in that little plot of land.  Am I making the right decision?
-EVG

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting land: how small is too small?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
HUNT IT!

2 of my absolute best spots are 6 acres and 5 acres.  The 6 acre spot is part of roughly 75 acres of woods but its the right 6 acres.  It is at a narrow pinch point and the deer funnel through it...especially come rut time.  Its also full of big white oaks!  The 5 acre spot I only hunt during the rut because the deer just arent there as much until then.  Its more of a travel corridor.  I have killed probably 15 deer between the two spots and passed or missed many more.  Small spots can be VERY productive.  You just have to hunt them at the right times.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
You know the area best - it isn't about whether you can shoot one on a small place, but where it will end up.  You mention it being in suburbs... if a deer ending up dead in the neighbor's swimming pool or under their kid's swing set is a real possibility then you know what is probably best....

R

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
You have two important considerations:

1. Is it big enough? You have deer, you have the required legal buffer, and you have room to make the shot. This favors hunting the property.

2. Ryan Rothhaar makes a very valid point about where the deer may actually fall. Some neighbors may be utterly appalled to have a deer fall outside the dining room window while they try to enjoy breakfast. In our area, though, there are some who may try to lay claim to your deer.

Before hunting it, you might want to get a consensus of opinion from families in the neighborhood, especially those with children.
Sam

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
I have had most all of the deer I shot on my small parcels die on them too.  Stand placement is a big thing.  The 2 times I had deer die somewhere else, I knocked on the door of the property where they died, told them the situation and they were like sure come get your deer.  I suppose I was lucky in that aspect. Asking neighbors might help as mentioned above.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
If you are hunting on 2.5 acres it is a virtual certainty that any deer that you shoot will fall dead on someone else's property.  What kind of reception will you get when you go to recover the deer?  Are the neighbors supportive of reducing the size of the deer herd?
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I killed my first deer on a 10ac tract. I would think it would be fine.

Bisch

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Polling the neighbors is a great idea.  As I said in the original post, the offer to hunt was totally unsolicited.  What I did not mention, however, is that the offer may have been made because my neighbor has had to replace his landscaping due to deer browse and take his children to get checked for Lyme disease on more than one occasion.  I'm interested to see what my other neighbors think about this, especially because of the very real possibility of a "deer ending up dead in the neighbor's swimming pool."
-EVG

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I think you should ask the other neighbors. This guy obviously wants the deer herd thinned. You never know, the rest of the neighbors may want the same thing.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I'm not going to comment on whether to hunt or not.  But the biggest buck I ever saw was standing under an apple tree in someones yard when driving between West Chester and Exton.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I would hunt if all the adjacent neighbors were not opposed to it.  That means asking them first, and explaining the possibility of a dead deer on their property.

Get permission, do a good job, earn their respect... and maybe one of the neighbors will end up inviting you to hunt on their 4000+ acres somewhere else...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Check with other neighbors.  Heck you may in up with more property to hunt.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I would be leery to hunt with a bow, too much chance of the deer running off the land you have permission to be on! Even when hunting with a rifle on something like that, I would want to go with total overkill on the setup. Now if it was surrounded by friendly farmland or public property, it would be plenty big I guess! There are places in this country still that the deer leaving the property and dieing elsewhere generally isn't a problem! Here in the Denver Metro, I wouldn't dream of it!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Personally, I would inform the adjacent neighbors that you WILL be hunting and just wanted them to be aware of it. (in a nice way, obviously)
Maybe use a string tracker, just make sure you practice with it first. Good luck.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
I'm with tarponnut.  They neighbors don't own the property and apparently the law allows you the use of the land.

However, I do think it is neighborly to let them know you will be hunting and a deer might make it beyond where you are hunting. You can then seek advance permission to retrieve the deer if it does go where you don't have permission to be.

Most of my bow-killed deer have dropped inside of 70 yards. I've shot deer with rifles that made it that far as well.

I would seek to hunt furthest from the edge of "yards" as I the property will permit.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
It is hard to decide,but under 5 acre piece I hunted a couple of deer I harvested didnt want to run into the neighborhood.I sat a couple hours after the shot and did my best not to let the deer know I was there.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
I would hunt that in a heartbeat... "Urban" deer grow old and large...  Only take perfect shots where you know the deer will die in that small wood lot.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
I live very close to you and I do it all the time.  Shot selection is crucial.  If you are legal go for it!!!

I
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I would do as suggested and speak to the other neighbors.  I would be polite and let them know that you can legally hunt there but wanted to be neighborly and let them know in advance. You may find that more of them are in favor of it due to landscape damage.  That could even lead to additional permission to hunt.  Worst case, you find that many are not in favor of it and may cause problems if your deer falls on the wrong side of a property line.  You never know if you don't ask.  I've always found being up front and honest with landowners has paid off more than once for me.  Good luck either way.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
It is not size,but location.The best place I ever had to hunt was maybe 10 acres,but it was in the right place.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©