3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late archery season heat for tent  (Read 250 times)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Late archery season heat for tent
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I have a 12x12 Alaknak tent and need to upgrade my wood stove.  Out temps get into the single digits to a few degrees below zero during the late season.  I am considering one of the Four Dog models.  Would love to hear other thoughts and suggestions.  We truck camp so weight is not a huge concern.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late archery season heat for tent
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
John has a Ti 4 dog that we use in his Kifaru tipi in Alaska.  It keeps us toasty warm in zero degree temps.

I have a 5 dog that we use in our 16X20 5 ft wall tent for truck camping in the lower 48.

They work great!

Mike
Mike Westvang

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
I added a charcoal grid to my four dog, so accumulating ash does not smother the charcoal.  We have found that adding a bit charcoal every now and then is easier and more consistent heat than wood.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I am leaning towards one of the Four Dog models.  Just thought there might be a better option.  Pavan the charcoal you use is it just the charcoal we use for grilling and what type of grate do you use?  I would like to spend less time with wood cutting and more time hunting LOL.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
If I were you, I'd get one of the Mr Heater vent free propane heaters.  That's what we use in our tent.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by jess stuart:
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I am leaning towards one of the Four Dog models.  Just thought there might be a better option.  Pavan the charcoal you use is it just the charcoal we use for grilling and what type of grate do you use?  I would like to spend less time with wood cutting and more time hunting LOL.
This is not from my experience but from feedback to a thread I started about burning charcoal in my Kifaru stove. The one guy that did it used lump charcoal versus the briquets. I have personally used coal in a wood burning kitchen stove to keep the chill off in the cook shack in a gold mine I worked on in Alaska when I was a teen. The other thing the guy mentioned about the charcoal was that he also used wood with the charcoal and that one of the biggest benefits of the charcoal was the embers lasted longer making it easier to restart the fire once the wood fuel was burned up.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
You bet,  plain old black charcoal.  I ran bolts with washers to stand the grid about an inch and a half from the bottom of the stove.  and yes when you get up in the early morning and you want boost the heat so you can change your underwear, just toss in a few dry sticks, they will flame right up.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I borrowed a Mr. Heater to a friend for a high country elk hunt and he said the low oxygen sensor would not let it run. He still curses me to this day. Anybody had similar experience?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by stillhunter:
I borrowed a Mr. Heater to a friend for a high country elk hunt and he said the low oxygen sensor would not let it run. He still curses me to this day. Anybody had similar experience?
I've run them at a little over 10k and there is a trick, you have to hold a flame to the pilot light and the thermocouple sensor that is right there with the pilot flame for a few seconds and then it will keep going, you will need to do this for like 20-30 second all the while holding down the control knob in the pilot light position.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:

I've run them at a little over 10k and there is a trick, you have to hold a flame to the pilot light and the thermocouple sensor that is right there with the pilot flame for a few seconds and then it will keep going, you will need to do this for like 20-30 second all the while holding down the control knob in the pilot light position. [/b]
That's a great tip Dave. I've never run mine at 10000 but I have at 9000 without problems. With the exception of the fuel doesn't seem to last very long. So we use it for initial heating before bed. Maybe once in the middle of the night to get the chill out and then again in the am. Those four dog stoves are sweet. But holy cow $$$$!!

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks gents. Looks like the Three Dog is going to be the stove.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:

Originally posted by old_goat2:

I've run them at a little over 10k and there is a trick, you have to hold a flame to the pilot light and the thermocouple sensor that is right there with the pilot flame for a few seconds and then it will keep going, you will need to do this for like 20-30 second all the while holding down the control knob in the pilot light position. [/b]
That's a great tip Dave. I've never run mine at 10000 but I have at 9000 without problems. With the exception of the fuel doesn't seem to last very long. So we use it for initial heating before bed. Maybe once in the middle of the night to get the chill out and then again in the am. Those four dog stoves are sweet. But holy cow $$$$!! [/b]
I use a bulk tank, so mine gets used a lot, DON'T run a bulk tank without a filter though, the oil in a bulk tank will wreck the pilot light system in no time and in the middle of a blizzard in my case, lol! You can order them from the company that makes the heater!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©