3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would This Influence Your Decision To Buy A Bow?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would This Influence Your Decision To Buy A Bow?
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I agree that it's a non-issue for those of us who make our own strings.  I think Chad's looking at it from the perspective of a string-maker, who gets a call from someone:

Customer: "Hey, I've got a 64" Chek-Mate Kings Pawn recurve, and I need a string."

Chad: "What's the length of the string you've got on the bow now?"

Customer: "I don't have a string for it."

So Chad is left guessing, unless he's previously made a string for a 64" Chek-Mate Kings Pawn and remembers how long he made it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
jhk, that is exactly the perspective I'm speaking from.  It puts both the person who owns the bow and the person making the string in a bad spot, even worse if the person with the bow doesn't have much experience.  Thank you!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
that's it exactly - yer either in the know or not.

i don't see this as a problem for those not in the know ...

if you have the original string, measure it loop-to-loop end, and yer in the ballpark.

no string?  if the bowyer stuck on a string length and you know that bow's brace height range, yer good to go.  or, you either ask the bowyer, or use a tillering string.  

this isn't rocket science.  ya just need to know stuff.  don't know stuff?  this is one reason for trad gang and its good members in the know.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
I've probably many bows and for the last 10 years or so have made most of my own strings.  I've never found the AMO info to be particularly useful or accurate and have no idea why it varies as much as it does with regard to what string actually fits a given bow the best.  But it does vary, sometimes by alot.  AMO string length may be an industry standard but for practical purposes I've not found it to be a very good one.

Bowyers obviously know what strings fit their own bows the best...they've designed, tested and sold them as a unit.  So, to me it would make sense for bowyers to label their bows with info for the string they originally designed for the bow.  If owners later want to experiment and try something different then that's their choice, but IMO the specs for the string that originally came with the bow, the one that was tested and found to be the best fit by the bowyer, should be inked on the bow right along with the standard 'pounds at X weight' info.  An inking would/could look something like this:

48#@28"
STR: D97,57",7.5"BH

Translation...The bow weighs 48# at a 28" draw and the original string is made of D97 and is 57" long at a 7.5" brace height.

It's at least a starting point for the person or persons purchasing the bow.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Sorry for the spelling errors above.    

Also, forgot to mention that in addition to the material type (EX:  D97) the strand count would be useful to list.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
... An inking would/could look something like this:

48#@28"
STR: D97,57",7.5"BH

Translation...The bow weighs 48# at a 28" draw and the original string is made of D97 and is 57" long at a 7.5" brace height.

... [/QB]
that's the way to do it, for sure.  doubt many, if any, will.  too bad.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
I would like to have asl and bh marked on my bows
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
For giggles, I did a TG search on "string length".  Seems a lot of folks don't know what length string they need for a particular bow.  They asked here, but it can vary depending on preferances and the individual bow.  I still think it would eliminate a lot of headaches if it were written on the bow.

Material types change, but the lengths are still usually very close regardless of material.  A good starting point would help a lot, I think.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply.  might drop a note to your favorite bowyer and ask them to mark your next bow with the "ASL".

Chad

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 04:06:00 AM »
I had a wapiti made by Kieth Kastain and it had the string length SL along with amo. I thought it was a great touch.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Your search found a lot of folks needing to know what string length they needed.  Now do a search for posts about bow draw weight not as marked on the Bow.  An inch is an inch and a pound is a pound, but they still get marked incorrectly.  I see your point, but trying to get every bow maker to do it is far from likely.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
... I see your point, but trying to get every bow maker to do it is far from likely.
and that's about the way it is, good or bad.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
One more thing. 'ASL' also means American Semi Longbow' to many.  Might want to use a different abbreviation when labeling a longbow...just to avoid confusion.

To answer the original question, I don't think labeling or not labeling with the AMO standard stops or attracts people from buying a bow, but I do think that labeling bows with clear and useful info, without looking like it was done by a kid with a crayon, adds more of a 'care and quality' aspect to a bow.  And THAT might entice buyers.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
Again, I'm not talking about it being THE deciding factor.  Take two bows that are equal in all aspects, one has the actual string length marked or you know for sure the AMO length is marked correctly, and the other isn't.

For me, having that little bit of information would be a positive.  Sure wouldn't be a negative.  

According to the poll results, there's more than 6 times as many people that prefer this information than those who do not.  A big majority are indifferent, so it's not like it would hurt sales to mark the string length or label the AMO/ATA bow length correctly.  Looking at almost 20%, out of this tiny sampling, that would be swayed in a positive way.

Wish I could have gotten an answer to the original question, but the poll results are interesting.  Thanks to all who participated.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Chad, I feel your pain.  I really do. Whenever we send out a string we pray it doesn't come back due to length issues.  Unfortunately AMO attempted to eliminate this problem many years ago and obviously they failed.  I've often thought about creating a one page memo on string length and all the issues around it.  Then I would send that page with every string ordered.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
Thanks Larry--good to hear from someone else who deals with this stuff all the time.

In my opinion where AMO/ATA dropped the ball was getting the word out.  The specs would work, if people knew them and followed them.  Maybe if there were some sort of incentive to follow them...danged if I know.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by LostNation_Larry:
Chad, I feel your pain.  I really do. Whenever we send out a string we pray it doesn't come back due to length issues.  Unfortunately AMO attempted to eliminate this problem many years ago and obviously they failed.  I've often thought about creating a one page memo on string length and all the issues around it.  Then I would send that page with every string ordered.
bravo, larry - that's the way to do it!

why not let a bow buyer know what the scoop is on the most important part of any bow - it's transmission!

once a bowyer completes a bow, and figures out the best string type, strand count, and length that will set a good performing brace height range - pass that on to its owner.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
I've heard that there are bowyers who actually work with the bow, till they find the sweet spot in brace where it all comes together, send that information along with the bow to their customers--- and people refuse to heed it.

Nothing like individualism in our midst!!!    :knothead:  

I've had custom string makers make up videos to show the EXACT way to measure a string to ensure there was clear communication... and would NOT build a string till they were satisfied that the customer had measured it properly and found the best brace.     :thumbsup:  

While a minority opinion here, which isn't all that unusual, me thinks, and I will throw in my $.02, that PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY (was that a cuss word these days?) would suggest the onus is on the individual to be sure he knows a) What brace is best for his/her bow and b) how to measure a replacement string to ensure clear communication with the string provider.

Of course, helping a string customer to know how to do such things might provide a challenge for some of the more independent thinkers out there...   :rolleyes:  

All the writing on a bow of such stuff does, to my thinking, is to clutter up the beauty of a  stick bow's graceful lines and looks.  I don't want it!

Sure, I'm all for having builders of bows AND strings communicate, but then, as stated, there is a percentage of people who will REFUSE to be confused by facts!  They'll go their own route. Seems same would be true if it were branded on their forehead or written on their bow!

Soldier on!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
My feelings also Doc!  Of course, much better wording and clarity than I could muster.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
Doc nailed it..... Having string builders and the bowyer communication is the most important thing. Also the bowyer passing that info along to the customer is wize.... Marking more abbreviations on bows are just going to cause a bunch of phone calls to the bowyer or manufacture....

I think i may start marking my bows  60" WTF instead of AMO...    Or better yet   60" LOL

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
What I want to know is the nock to nock length of the bow. With that knowledge I would know what length string I most likely need depending on the type string. I twist here or there to fine tune. For instance if I am ordering a B-55 string it will be a little shorter than a D-97.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©