3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Remarkable Blessing  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Remarkable Blessing
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Thought I would share a photo/story of my nephew Koty Eggleston.  He is 17 years old and lives in Mansfield, Mo.  

A couple years ago I had Greg Coffey build me a Shrew.  I shopped for months on-line before finding a board worthy of veneers for my shrew.  I had the bocote board sent to him to grind the veneers from and it turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous bow.  I shot more robin hoods with it than I have ever shot with any other bow, but couldn’t get used to the sound from the carbon, so I sold it to my brother (really regretting that decision every time I see it, but it has a great home!).  Well, Koty started “playing” with his dad’s new bow and absolutely fell in love with it!!  My brother saw how much his son loved the bow and relented, giving his only son the bow for his own.  Koty has been shooting it religiously for the last couple seasons, but only connecting on frogs and other little critters.  He scored some good misses under his belt with whitetails, but stayed true nonetheless!  He was a determined young man and loved the bow so much he would not give up on it.

On August 25th this year, shortly after the start of his senior year, Koty collapsed on the gym floor and coded.  His heart stopped and fortunately, due to another medical issue, paramedics were already at the rural high school and rushed to his side and began cpr.  Had they not been there at that moment this story could have a tragic end. They were able to get his heart going, but he began seizing for 37 minutes while being life-flighted to Mercy Medical Center in Springfield, Mo.  They basically shut Koty’s system down to stop the seizing and kept him heavily sedated for the next 24 hrs., waiting to see the extent of cardiac and neurological damage.  Our family contacted everyone we knew to start praying for healing and that he would not have suffered any major brain or heart damage during the event.  Our prayers were answered after Koty spent over a week in intensive care and underwent extensive testing.  It was determined there was no lasting effects, other than the original condition that created the episode. God is so good!  

To shorten this story somewhat, Koty went through stress testing and discovered he had a heart defect that overloaded his heart, but it was repairable.  On September 25th, he underwent heart ablation surgery to correct this problem.  Again, after a lot of prayer and excellent medical staff, the surgery was successful and the surgeon told Koty he believed his heart problems were behind him and he should be back to normal in no time.  So, although sore and recovering from the surgery, he began to prepare for the upcoming archery season.  On Sunday morning (Oct. 11th)  Koty was comfortably perched 9 ft. in the air in a super dense cedar thicket in a stand he and his father had hung days earlier.  At approximately 10 a.m., Koty sees a buck approaching and prepares for a shot if it should be offered.  The buck makes a bee-line to his tree and at 3 yds looks straight up at him.  Koty tells his father later that he was at ½ draw waiting for the shot and squinted his eyes tightly fearing the buck would see the whites in his eyes.  As the buck paused and turned to leave, Koty let his arrow fly and it struck its mark double-lunging the beast!  Koty began trembling profusely as he watched the pig buck leave the scene in a panic.  He then called his dad to tell him what happened and promptly told him he had arrowed a pig!!  

His father (my big brother Jeff),  walked toward his son’s stand to join him and take up the trail.  On his way, he receives a text from Koty that says “Thinkin back on it, I don’t think the buck was all that big but God did he look it when I was pullin’ back on him.  Man, I’m still shaking!!!”  Clearly Koty was amped up during the encounter to say the least!  Jeff arrived at Koty’s stand and began talking about the shot and where the buck had traveled afterward.  Koty tells his father exactly what happened.  They decide to take up the trail and find nothing for 60 yards, but Koty stands firm knowing he heard his buck crash.  After sitting to discuss the trailing and whether to pull out, Jeff begins glassing the trail and eventually makes out a horn in the brush.  After closer inspection by father and son, they determine there is a deer approx. 100 yards from them and is quite possibly down.  They stalk up for a closer look, which reveals Koty’s trophy has indeed fallen to his well-placed Zwickey No Mercy tipped carbon propelled by his favorite longbow, the Shrew Hunter.  I was not there but can only imagine the emotions and joy father and son shared, in a small piece of family property, after only months earlier wondering if Koty would survive his heart attack.  Praise God, the power of prayer, and the hunting bond shared by father and son that keeps pulling us all back season after season.

PS, this is Koty’s 1st trad bow harvest of a big game animal.  It will truly be hard to beat this considering the year he has had.  The buck weighed well over 200 lbs and scored just over 143 gross inches.  For southern Missouri, a real monster!!  What a pig, congrats Nephew, may there be many more in your future!!  Proud of you for hanging in there    :shaka:    

God Bless!

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remarkable Blessing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Oh yeah..... some photos would be nice huh!?!  Here ya go... enjoy!

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
A few more:      

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
If you notice the hat band and the quiver behind him, Koty is quite an artist at creating very rustic and traditional archery pieces.  A very talented young man!  Me and your dad will try real hard to get some good ones this year Koty, but we may have a heck of a time besting this one.  Congrats again buddy!!!     :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
God certainly is good...ALWAYS!

A little confused on the dates and years but either way a wonderful story...thanks for sharing

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
Wonderful story. Congrats to Koty!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Oops!  My badOctober 11th, good proof reading Stickflinger!  :banghead:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
WOW!!!

Congrats. God is VERY good. Best of luck to Koty in future endeavors. That one will be tough to top.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Great story and wonderful buck, congratulations to the young man.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :pray:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Awesome story, congrats Koty.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Awesome story and great buck. Congratulations
Molon labe

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Congrats! Great story and pics!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarification....makes it even more impressive that it all just happened this fall. Koty is a warrior!!! Congrats Koty!

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Great job Coty !!!

Pics are awesome too

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm speechless.... what a wonderful God we serve
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Thank God for Koty's return to 100% health and congratulations on a beautiful deer!

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Very cool!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Great story.