3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Hawk Arrived!!  (Read 559 times)

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew Hawk Arrived!!
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey, guys . I'm new here so first post. I just got my Shrew Hawk from Ron Laclair today. What a beaut! I am surprised about how light and almost delicate it looks, but it's sharp. I think it will work great and I will probably hardly notice the weight on my belt. I'd like to hear back for you guys that have a Shrew Hawk and how you like them. Thanks, Greg
Greg Hanzlick

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Hawk Arrived!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Glad you like it Greg

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
That's very cool!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Greg, I bought one at the Kalamazoo Trad Expo last year and I think its a great tool. I've talked extensively with the blade smith who makes them and he definitely knows what he's doing. They are good steel and properly heat treated.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
I have the trapper model and the standard hawk. They are great tools!!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Beautiful hawk! One of those are on my short-list of new gear.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
I have the trappers companion and it's as good as they get

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:06:00 AM »
Very nice, welcome.

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys, and Ryman thanks for the welcome. To you all that have the Shrew Hawk, or Trappers Companion, what do you use them for (ie  light chopping, game processing, etc.) Just curious. Thanks.
Greg Hanzlick

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I have a Hawk and I carry it all the time on my place in da UP.  Always cutting branches, clearing paths.  I carry it skwerl hunting because, although my nutters knock a skwerl for a loop, it doesn't always kill them forever.  Lay the skwerl against a handy tree, whack to the neck, dead skwerl....next......

I touch up the blade on mine and keep it very sharp.  Cutting small twigs and branches is an easy chore with very little effort because it slices, not hacks.  

I'm certain I can clean a deer with it, but just use my knife for that, however at the end, the spine gets chopped in a couple places to allow me to better pack it into the trash for disposal.

I wonder Ron, if your blacksmith could make me a sort of customized bowl adze of fairly similar size and weight ?
ChuckC

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I too have a Shrew Hawk that I've had for several years now....its just a classic, quality tool that I'm proud to tote around.  It's smaller in size,  but VERY capable!

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Top notch quality all around.  I sold mine, too light and too short of handle from my preference, worked on making a longer handle but was concerned about durability of the new handle, the trappers companion, now I have thought about getting that one based on quality of the first one..

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Sweet!
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Here's a testimony

Hi Ron,     I have had my Shrew Hawk now for 2 years, and it is absolutely fantastic.  I showed a friend of mine, Bart Lancaster, who is one of the top outfitters in North America, and he liked it so much he ordered four.  Last year I cut up an entire moose with it and chopped through the spine with no problem.  I split the bull into four pieces using only the hawk.  Being a taxidermist by trade I know good steel when I see it.  After 2 years of using it I have not had to sharpen it once.  Fantastic steel.  Please let your blacksmith know I appreciate so much the product he is building.  I just helicoptered into some of the most remote wilderness in North America spending a week there, and my Shrew was with me. I realize that your blacksmith is getting older, and one day I will not be able to get another, so I want to order 2 more. One is for my son who one day will grow into it, and the other one is for a dear friend who was with me on the trip in the mountains by chopper. He told me if I ordered again to please order him one, so I will get it for him as a gift. I will order both hawks with a belt sheath. Also feel free to use this letter to promote the hawk.  I feel when I find a good product I like to share it with everyone. It is very rare that this happens now in our disposable world. This product is worth every penny and alot more. Once again thank you for providing a quality product.     Best regards,     Roger Britton  Majestic Mounts  Telkwa B.C., Canada  
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Looks awesome!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Looks a little fragile, maybe just a wall hanger  ;)
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Love mine and have carried it for years. A few uses so far, skin elk, chop legs off frozen elk, clear branches for ground blind, drive tent stakes in back country, chop wood for small fire, cut through spine of elk to remove head

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Went hunting yesterday without mine and felt unprepared.  Ive cut trees cleaned a deer and knocked flint into smaller pieces.  Will be ordering two more soon one for my son who can use it in the future and for a friend who saw mine and said to get him one when i ordered as well.  Well worth it.

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »
Very nice, I could always use another hawk, might have to get one!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
love mine. Can't get much better.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©