3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deep Cored R/D Longbows  (Read 775 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Deep Cored R/D Longbows
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I know that Hill Style bows have this type limb profile....just curious which bowyers offer a R/D model with deep cored limbs ?
                                Thanks

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deep Cored R/D Longbows
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
Dwyer original.  Bill

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
JD Berrys D/R bows are like that
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
My great northern critter gitter is like that.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Toelke whip.
Maybe these pics will help you see the deep core used.
Narrow limbs sorta require deeper cores...

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I am gonna throw out a question.  

If you are talking serious R/D, I am gonna guess a truly deep core is gonna lose out to a more flat bow limb because of the amount of flex (pre-flex and drawn flex) in the limb, causing that much more compression of that much thicker material.

I wonder if as you go to more and more R/D design that a flatter limb should also go with that as part of the design change ?
ChuckC

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I am gonna throw out a question.  

If you are talking serious R/D, I am gonna guess a truly deep core is gonna lose out to a more flat bow limb because of the amount of flex (pre-flex and drawn flex) in the limb, causing that much more compression of that much thicker material.

I wonder if as you go to more and more R/D design that a flatter limb should also go with that as part of the design change ?
ChuckC
That's a good point and got me to thinking. All the bows that I have that have the thick limbs are of less reflex deflex,and the ones that have a lot are not. All the ones that I have that are thick take on the D shape when strung also.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Well Chuck..I think you are on the right path..
As a very general rule..
Deeper cored bows have lighter mass limbs.
all else being equal (which it hardly ever is) a lighter limb makes a faster bow with less feedback.

If you double the width of a limb you double the mass and double the draw weight.

If you double the thickness you double the mass and increase the draw weight appx 8 fold I believe.

So....a 50# deep cored limb can have a lot lighter mass limb than a wide/thin cored limb.

now....shallow cored limbs can bend more ie curve more during the draw than a deep cored limb.

which is why working recurve tips are generally wide and thin.

....and why "serious" r/d bows generally have wider limbs than "less serious" r/d bows....they gotta be able to make more of a curve.

The optimum balance between deeper core or wider limb is determined by the design of the bow and the materials used.

.....need to make sure those limbs don't want to twist or bend sideways...lol

Hope this helps a bit.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys....

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
The JD Berry Argos is a deep cored D/R bow.  What an awesome shooter!

ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
And his Taipan,

shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
Well Chuck..I think you are on the right path..
As a very general rule..
Deeper cored bows have lighter mass limbs.
all else being equal (which it hardly ever is) a lighter limb makes a faster bow with less feedback.

If you double the width of a limb you double the mass and double the draw weight.

If you double the thickness you double the mass and increase the draw weight appx 8 fold I believe.

So....a 50# deep cored limb can have a lot lighter mass limb than a wide/thin cored limb.

now....shallow cored limbs can bend more ie curve more during the draw than a deep cored limb.

which is why working recurve tips are generally wide and thin.

....and why "serious" r/d bows generally have wider limbs than "less serious" r/d bows....they gotta be able to make more of a curve.

The optimum balance between deeper core or wider limb is determined by the design of the bow and the materials used.

.....need to make sure those limbs don't want to twist or bend sideways...lol

Hope this helps a bit.
Great explaination John!   :thumbsup:

The only thing i might add is that deep core long bow limbs can take on different characteristics depending on material used in the core and how many laminations used in the limb...... Of course a heavier draw weight bow is going to be thicker than a light weight bow, the thickness can be minupulated by the core to glass ratio....

Typically thinner glass deeper core for light weight bows are much better performance......

For radical r/d long bows its a real balancing act to maintain good lateral stability using narrow deep core limbs....  Dan Toelke knows the value of using more thin laminations in his long bows....

Just for fun John take a look at the edge of your whip at the tips.... i'll bet he's got 4-5 lams not counting glass.... Dan builds a nice bow...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
wish I could Kirk...all I have is pictures anymore..lol
I do seem to recall that there were more than just a couple layers there though.

....those glue lines (especially when pre-stressed) can make a big difference.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
I wonder where the Stotler design falls.  It bends into a D and is very wide and flat in middle of the limb.  They seem to get the job done very nicely as well.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I just got a Black Widow PL longbow and would have to say that it is at least somewhat of a deeper core bow...the limbs construction of these bows is also quite interesting...maybe a Widow longbow expert could chime in here and tell us a bit more about how they are made

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
If I recall, the Stotler design looks very much like  a recurve, without the curves. It has a very large riser, albeit the handle is made more longbow like.  Isn't that more of a flatbow ?
ChuckC

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
Don't have to be super deep when using carbon back and carbon near the belly. You can build a narrow limb that is both light in weight and stable. Some bowyers are finding that they can build narrow limbs that are stable on recurves and even on static recurves.  My static recurve tips are so narrow its scarey looking but they shoot well and light tips make for high speeds and low vibration. I personally love narrow deep core limbs.

God bless, Steve

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Here is a Toelke Whip (r/D) on the left and the Super D on the right. Both have 9 lams which includes the glass.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »
Doing it right. God bless, Steve

Offline Tradcat