3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's waiting for their first? Who has taken thier first this season??  (Read 663 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just curious, who's waiting for their first trad kill?  Once you break the ice, it's an awesome feeling. I'm still just as excited about each animal I take. For those of you who are feeling frustrated and are contemplating picking up another type of weapon, hang in there, it'll happen. GOOD LUCK!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's waiting for their first? Who has taken thier first this season??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I had it happen this past June on Bear Quest #9 with a nice 147# Black bear boar.    :archer:   Good thing because looks like I'm not going to be able to hunt this fall.......but that may change. Good luck to all who are out there this fall, heck it only took me 47 years to get my first......   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
I've harvested 19 deer total .... 6 with a gun and 13 with a compound. Been hunting trad only now for 4 years. I've released 4 arrows and have yet to connect but feel like I'm a more accomplished hunter pursuing game with just stick and string. I'm not a purist but have made the commitment to only bow bunt trad until I do succeed ...and I will !

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
I,m waiting to get my first on the ground.Took 4 from treestands.Having more fun on the ground,but it is much harder than in a tree.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I had my first opportunity this past Sunday on a mature doe. Shook so bad I hit her in th paunch. Searched for 9 hours and could not find her. On Tuesday I was able to find her about a half mile away and she was destroyed by coyotes. Nothing was left but hide and bones. Hoping I can connect and harvest my first this year. Went out and tweaked my stands today and feel like I'm scouting and hunting completely different then when I do with a compound. Think it's time for me to sell the compound and just go back to strictly traditional. I love hunting with my own longbows I build and I've been upping my game when it comes to crafting bows. I feel closer to my game when hunting with something I crafted from my two hands.

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Still waiting on my first game besides fish and squirrels. Missed one yesterday but hoping to score tomorrow

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Im on my 3rd yr of traditional archery and waiting for my first. Last season i only hunted with the bow and will do the same this season. So far i have not taken any shots. I am having a great time thus far and enjoying myself every time i go out. If it takes a while its fine with me, i will not give up and stick to my decission to only use a bow. Its a totally different feeling i get when i have a traditional bow when hunting that i never felt before. I just wish i would have made the switch a long time ago. Good luck to every one this season and stay safe....Gary

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Still waiting on my first.  Hoping to do so soon.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
I've shot a ton of small game with my trad bows, and got a button buck 10 years ago with a compound.  Lots of critters with firearms, too... but I'm still after my first big game animal with a trad bow.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
I killed a hog this past February with BigJim. Im hoping to get my first trad deer soon. Ive killed many deer with a compound and gun. But its just not what im into now.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
First fall out there and loving the journey to get one with the longbow.  It's cool to have the opportunity after putting in the work in the off season shooting and working on execution.  I honestly feel a lot less stressed out there and enjoying it more.  That being said, I am excited at the thought of reaching my goal.  Just need one of these Western NY deer to cooperate.  Good luck to others in the same boat and thanks to the seasoned veterans for sharing their knowledge and words of encouragement.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
me!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Don't give up guys.  Just get meaner and leaner.  Learn how to find em and arrange to get close enough (with enough cover to move / draw / shoot).  You can do it if you try and want it bad enough.  

After a while, it becomes the norm for you.  I wouldn't think of using a compound for hunting anymore.

ChuckC

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
I can't wait for mine, but at the same time I can. Hard to explain but I know it will happen, until then I will just continue to enjoy the outdoors and watching the game with admirition.
 I got into archery (trad is the only thing I have ever really considered archery) about 2007 the bug hit. I found this site and someone sold me my first bow a Browning Nomad Stalker. I have also built my own self bow at Ojam in 2008. I am making a quiver now. I have made an arm guard and plan to make much more.
 Are there easier ways, sure. They are not as rewarding. When that day comes I know I will get much more from it than by other methods. I will also have given the game we all hunt a sporting chance as I think it should be.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 05:12:00 AM »
Shot some small game and grouse but yet to release an arrow at anything bigger than a grouse.
This season Lord willing that will change
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Does "almost" count? It's been a long, long time and I wouldn't have it any other way! Stalking and still hunting with a longbow is my style so "almost" has to count for something...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
Hang in there, it'll come.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
2nd year with traditional gear for me. Almost had one last Saturday if it wouldn't have moved I would have had her. I've killed a bunch of deer over the years with bow, M/L and gun so I'm in no hurry. No desire at all to switch back to a wheel bow.
SWA Spyder

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
That's great guys!!  Hey Mikey, you bet that counts!! Good luck buddy!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline BowArkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Still waiting on first deer. Did manage to stick a fox squirrel in the noggin this morning though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©