3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alabama opener, by the grace of God...  (Read 245 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Alabama opener, by the grace of God...
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
...and the ferocity of my wife's ******* Dachshund.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. I made it out by noon after having good a quiver fall apart last night.  My strategy revolves around water, as it's drought conditions up on the mountain here.  Creek has dried up, but the lake is good and I have a spot 30 feet up a ridge from the cut they walk through to drink.  And they is everything-the creek is pools of black water and water moccasins by now.

I made it out well equipped to handle overnight if necessary.  I'm much more confident in my braces now, so I decided to make the hike instead of chasing bunnies in the yard.  So, trusty horn bow in hand, I set off into the wilderness for the first time since the strokes started.

I didn't notice that blasted dog, though.  She dogged my heels every step of the way.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alabama opener, by the grace of God...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
I don't pick up sign generally until around the creek.  But I got some very nice buck prints in the sand around the creek.  This is the point things start going downhill.  She gets the scent and then rolls in the prints, obliterating them.  She then flushes and chases a good sized water moccasin, preventing a good shot.  I'm not fast in those braces.  They may be a miracle but they're not made for speed.

I'm upset, snake tastes great and I want a set of moccasin skins to boot but they're not today's quarry.  I keep on across the creek.  When across, I try to remember which way the cut is from there.  As I ponder, I notice a tree frog on a branch.  

Tree frogs are very, very special to my wife and I.  When my little boy was alive, I caught him a tree frog and carried it in in a bucket to him.  You would have thought that boy would have split his face grinning.  He crowed every time it jumped, which with his disabilities was quite a feat.  He'd do his happy wiggle (he was mostly paralyzed) and all of a sudden it jumped on him.  It decided he was a tree and he decided it needed licking, just like everything else he saw.  It escaped but he crowed nonetheless.  

After he passed, when we missed him especially we would find a frog.  They would be on windows, on cars, in the mailbox, all sorts of places.  We started calling them Snort-frogs.  We still find them when we miss him a bunch or need reassurance.

This guy was pointing South, and I took that as a sign.  I went the direction the frog pointed.  The Great Spirit sends messengers, we just miss most of them.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
:campfire:  

I am happy for you Ed, to make it out hunting!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
I made my way slowly up the ridge-I'm wearing close to $5k in braces and $3k+ in my bow, if I bought another.  I got to my spot and set up, ready to wait out the animals.  Here comes that blasted dog.  She'd sit by me, then tear off running.  After an hour and a half and a bunch of missed small game, I am ready to just hang it up and go home, and try it when the dog is put away.

I'm packed up and most of the way out of the woods when I startle a group of deer bedded down in a thicket.  I'm close enough to count coup on my eternal enemy, the 13 point that lives back there and gives everyone fits trying to kill it.  I hit full draw at can't miss range and here comes that dog again, nipping at their heels and barking.  At that point, I almost shot the dog to bring back something to eat.

All this commotion gets me turned around and I fall in a hole.  This is a Very Bad Thing.  My left hip pops out and I just about had to crawl out of the woods, whereupon I emerged nearly a mile down the road from the house.  Had to call my wife to pick me up, I was so trashed by that point.  The only take today?  Pictures and puffball mushrooms.  I'll  try uploading them tomorrow, I'm about to turn in.

Some first hunt in years, huh?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
glad you got out, maybe you will get another chance at the 13 pointer soon..

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
I'm so glad to see your persistence paying off! Remember, NEVER GIVE UP!!!!  Good luck next time out! I have one of those Daschunds too!!!

Bisch

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
You, Sir are a true inspiration with grit and determination. I enjoyed your write up but sorry for you fall. May you heal quickly. God speed.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Ed, Glad to hear you at least made it out, too bad the events of the day didn't go better for you. Still praying for you every day. Happy Hunting!

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Man you are one tenacious SOB. You are an inspiration to many! Keep it up brother.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
hey Bro sounds like y'all had good fun until that dang hole jumped in front of ya hope your ok.   :wavey:    :pray:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Well, like they say, "A bad day hunting is better than a great day working." It is good to read that you were able to make it to the woods. Good luck!
Sam

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Great story. Hope your hip is ok.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©