3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally...after 5 years...first trad deer  (Read 805 times)

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally...after 5 years...first trad deer
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
It's been a long hard traditional road for me. I've been hunting almost my whole life. I killed my first deer at the ripe old age of 8 with a Hawken style muzzleloader. I've been bow hunting since I was old enough to pull enough poundage to be lethal on deer. My dad started me out right and taught me everything I know about hunting, the woods etc.

It was only 5 years ago that I wanted to shoot a recurve again. I hadn't shot one since I was about 6 years old...a little 1969 Bear Cub recurve, which my daughter is learning to shoot now.
I noticed a Hoyt Dorado on the wall at the local Pro Shop and mentioned to my wife that I'd like to try hunting with a recurve. Two weeks later, on our first wedding anniversary, she bought and gave the Dorado as an anniversary gift.

Now my wife is not a typical wife. We met because of a shared interest in hunting. She is probably more dedicated to hunting than I am. She was a licensed master barber/ beautician/hair stylist when we met. She has since given that up and taxidermy is now her profession. But anyways, I digress...

Ever since I got the Dorado, I've been hooked. I didn't shoot it worth a crap...matter of fact, I was horrible for probably two years. But the seed was planted. I started working diligently at becoming capable with a stick bow. Then I started getting half way on and wanted more bows to try. In the past 5 years, I'd say I've owned at least 50 bows. Some I liked, some I hated, but I enjoyed the learning process of shooting them all.

All of this lead to bowfishing eventually, a sport which both Rachel and I absolutely love. In the past two years we have killed thousands of fish. She got me into traditionsl archery and I returned the favor by hooking her on bowfishing with traditional archery.

But let's fast forward....I've been trying for a deer for several years with a stickbow. I would still break down and take compounds from time to time...but I also hunt with muzzleloaders, rifles, pistols, and so on. To each their own I say. I've had many close calls and misses with a recurve or longbow in my hand...but just haven't been able to close the deal.

I found a 1963 dogleg Bear Grizzly in the classifieds on Sunday (I think)...a bow which I've been looking for since I shot one about six months ago. I promptly snatched it up. Actually, I told Rachel about the bow and she said, "I want to buy that for you for our anniversary."

I got in from work today and the bow was here waiting on me. I ate a bite of lunch and Rachel couldn't stand it sny longer, she just HAD to open it and see what the bow looked like. After her and Evey's (our daughter) approval, I strung it up and shot it a few times. It felt great and hit where I was looking. So I thought, "What the hell...I'm bringing this bow hunting this evening."

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally...after 5 years...first trad deer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I get down to one of our hunting leases and it's freaking hot....84 degrees hot. But I amble on back to one of my stands prepared to sweat it out.

This particular lease is very special to me. My family has hunted it since before I was born (1984). I killed my first deer here. Killed my three biggest bucks here. I know this property like the back of my hand....it is a really special place.

I make it up the tree and crank up the Therma-Cell...an absolute MUST have IMHO. About 30 mins in, a doe comes around the side of the hill, well out of range at about 60 yards. Then nothing but squirrels for about two hours.

I'm sitting there up my tree, about 3/4s asleep when I hear the unmistakable sound of a deer walking in dry leaves off to my left. I perk up, and sure enough, here comes a nice doe.

This particular stand is in an awesome location for deer...it just happens to be a bad location for bow hunting. You really have to watch your p's and q's. It opens up when they get in range and it's really hard to get away with much movement.

I manage to get stood up unnoticed as she walks behind a big hickory for my cover. Then it opens up and there's nothing between me and her but fresh air. Thankfully, the wind is perfect, a steady light breeze blowing right in my face.

She mills around and eats at weeds and browse, perfectly broadside, 15 yards, for what seems like FOREVER. Then she happens to look up....she didn't spook, and didn't know what I was, but she did notice me.

Finally, she walks on out to about 18 yards, quartering away, and looks up the hill, away from me. I pick a spot, draw the new to me 1963 Grizzly to full draw, touch anchor, and away the arrow goes.

I see my GT arrow flying perfectly true to the spot. You guys know how what feels like it takes hours happens in milliseconds in these type situations. My arrow was going to the spot...but the damn spot moved. On release, she lunged down and forward, causing me to hit high and farther back than I'd like.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
She bolts from there and I see the arrow shake loose from her off side as she's running. My first thought was....well I best not repeat that, but it was rather profanity laced, thinking I made a gut shot.

I come down from the stand and text Rachel to come help me, thinking it was going to be a long tracking job. I go to the store and buy a drink while waiting for the wife. I wanted to give the deer at least an hour.

At almost dark, Rachel and Evey make it down there to help me track. As it turned out, it wasn't a very labor intensive tracking job. Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail. I had cut the main arteries just below the spine and the doe didn't make it 60 yards (just out of sight) before she expired.

I was so proud of my little girl though. I gave her a flashlight and she set right in to finding blood. This was her first blood trail. She told me I was finding all the big easy puddles but SHE was finding the little drops.

This has been my most rewarding hunting accomplishment to date. It was just an 18 month old doe but I couldn't imagine being any prouder of any kill. And it was truly wonderful to get to share the recovery experience with my wife and daughter. Five years after my wife bought me my first recurve, I make my first trad deer kill with another anniversary bow she bought for me. Kinda funny how life works out sometime.

I would like to give a huge thank you to my good buddy Doc Nock (David Landis) for sharpening the head I used to kill this deer on his KME. It was deadly sharp. And a big thank you to Blackhawk (Lon Scott) who I purchased this bow from. This Grizzly will be here with me til the day I die.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
Congratulations-Hap

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
Oh, almost forgot....equipment used- 1963 Bear Grizzly, Gold Tip Traditional 35-55 arrow, single bevel Grizzly BH with adapters weighing in at around 200gr.

Hunting out of a little, cheap, one man ladder stand. Wearing an Asbell wool lightweight, zip up in evening stand green and the same pair of carpenter pants and boots that I wore all day at work (I'm a logger). Only mentioning this because I no longer believe in fancy camo patterns designed to part an honest hunter from his hard earned money. Limit movement and hunt the wind.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
congrats shag08   :clapper:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Congrats!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 05:16:00 AM »
:clapper:

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 05:30:00 AM »
pics!!!! congrats
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
Great job
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 05:50:00 AM »
Good Work!
I'm a "timber manager" myself, still looking for my first with a '70 Grizzly. My wife is my biggest supporter as well.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »
Way to go, knew you'd do it and do it right-congrats on your trophy-the first is always remembered.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Congrats!
  :clapper:

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
Congrats!
PBS Associate member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
Congratulations!    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Congrats!

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Congratulations.  Good story. Good wife. Lol

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
That is awesome bro!! Congrats to the whole family. This was definitely a 5 year family affair.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Woo Hoo!

What a great story!  You've got a great family and should cherish that...and I really like the pic.

Now if only that old bow could tell us about where it has been for the past 50 or so years.
Lon Scott

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
CONGRATS!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©