3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First impressions of a Mohawk Sparrowhawk  (Read 214 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
First impressions of a Mohawk Sparrowhawk
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
I could see the long round tube on my porch as I pulled into the driveway....its been awhile since I've had this much anticipation about a bow.  Inside was the 64", 63# Sparrowhawk that Terry had listed in the classifieds.  I'd never shot one, never even held one, but being a longbow lover and seeing how they have quite the following I took the plunge.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First impressions of a Mohawk Sparrowhawk
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
First thought as I pulled it from the tube...where is the rest of it?  I mean this thing is light.   Supposed to be I guess as its primarily bamboo. Uh oh, I thought....hand shock central.  So I look it over, string it at 6 3/4 (which I found slightly short), grabbed some GT's and 2219's and headed out the door.  No silencers, no nock, just shootin.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Long story short, its sitting with me in my truck as I right this.  As Rob had mentioned in his reviews, it loves a heavy arrow.  2219's with a 250 grain point is nasty medicine up to 30 yards.  No shock whatsoever, smooth on the draw, and rock solid performance.  I was thinking of adding an EFA, but for now I'll appreciate its fine lines and carry my Palmer quiver.

I'll add some pics later and some more comparisons to my Mattawoman II that I've had for a few years.  Lots of similarities... lots of differences.  What I find identical in the two is shootability.  The arrows go where you look, just like they're supposed to.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Congrats, I love learning about and messing around with a new bow
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Pics. are nice, I love looking at bow pics. :-)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
I was waiting for a Robertsont Primal Styk and wanted a bow to hunt with and bought the bow Rob DiStefano reviewed here that was a prototype/initial release.  It was a one piece Mohawk Sparrowhawk.

It was likely one of the best longbows I have ever shot and hunted with...not exaggerating at all.  It was smooth, fit my hand perfect, launched a heavy wood arrow with authority and I drew blood a couple times carrying her.

My Primal Styk arrived and I sold the Sparrowhawk to a woman in Texas....wish I would have kept it as a backup bow to be honest. LOL

Good luck with a great bow....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I hear you on the Sparrowhawk!  Got mine early this year and the bow shoots supurb. Quick and quiet and zero hand shock. Mine is ebony and coco with bamboo limbs. Vince makes a nice bow!
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
Just put a tremendous Mohawk Sparrowhawk up on the classifieds.  Check it out if you are interested.  It is a great bow!

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Happy to see that bow out of the closet and getting some use....have fun and shoot straight!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©