3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Article on the powerlessness of scent control  (Read 728 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Article on the powerlessness of scent control
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Sometimes the mind is a powerful thing - what you think becomes a reality.  I've seen it in sports to many times.  So who is to say that a person that believes in practicing scent control that it doesn't work for them?  Perhaps it doesn't for you because of your thoughts about the subject???  Maybe your thoughts effect your behaviors in ways you are not even aware of.  Gene Wensel once wrote about thinking a buck to show up at a specific time - it worked for him.  So does that mean it always works?  Nope.  But no one can deny that for whatever reason it worked for Gen on that day.

As far as dogs and being around them - I have and I will say this, ANYONE that has raised tracking dogs KNOWS there are times when they can't find a steak stapled to their rear end.... and other nights the could track a feather through the wind.  Since some here think that dogs have magical powers and can smell things for weeks and there is nothing you can do about scent or fooling their noses - how is it, that the very best tracking dogs across the country were brought in to find two escaped criminals and they COULD NOT for weeks on end?????  So much for your theory of tracking and scent control.  And these were not your average mutts these were the best tracking dogs in the nation.  Did they all have a bad couple weeks?  Pepper?  I'll be waiting to hear how so many "best of the best" dogs were collectively fooled for such a long period of time.  It is a lot more complicated then what many believe or don't believe.  Do I think you can trick a dog/deer's nose - yep I know you can.  Do I think it is a wise practice to try - nope not really.  Do I think the more attention you pay to little details and believe in your efforts the more likely you will succeed - yep I sure do.

So I guess the bottom line for me is use it or don't use it - it really is your call.  There is enough science and demonstrations to support both sides.  I applaud you for your efforts and I wish you success.... and I am certainly not going to condemn you or try to force my opinion on you.  Its your money, your hunt and I am sure you will find what does and doesn't work for you.  Anyone want to talk about the independent research Rueters did on carbon based hunting clothes..... kind of funny when science proves something that goes against what other science disproves.  It is not always black and white
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I stopped using scent control a long time ago. Killed my biggest buck last week.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Sad to see Pope & Young fall for Ozonics but I guess they appreciate the revenue.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Scent control is a farce, in my opinion, but I still have tried many products. Mostly, I use attractants, which are not exactly cover scents.
Sam

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
People believe what they want to believe.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Similar to TJ and others, I shower & use the soaps/shampoo and try to keep myself clean while hunting. I do hunt the wind and believe that is the key to what we do. That's why I love traditional hunting is there are a lot less of the modern gadgets! JMHO. Thanks.

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »
I still fall back on the pebble tossed into a pond or a rock the size of a fist. The bigger the riple the farther it is detected. Rougher water disperses it quicker. Wind and stiff breezes disperse and dilute scent quicker.You CAN make your scent print smaller and it is effective which will improve your odds if used with common sense. To slather your self in scent killing soap and cover products and forget the wind is marketing hype at its best.the keys are don't ignore your scent REDUCTION and most of all read the wind and read it often.strong breezes adn winds make critters whose defense is their nose very nervous. They can neither scent you well nor hear you well either.So they will be on high visual alert. Tough job being a hunter!
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
as has been said it is a variable thing.  I know I have fooled a deers scent, or enough to have them not know what I was when down wind of me.  Other times no.  I take the precaution with clothing (though I don't spend the extra on scent control clothing).  Wash it well in unscented soap or baking soda.  Same for me, focusing on my crotch, arm pit, hair, behind my ears and along my nose, the areas that produce the strongest odors. I never get the opportunity to have a steady wind, so I do what I can to control scent and hope it is diluted and low enough to not cause complete panic in swirl.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I believe most or just about all your smell/sent comes from your mouth. You have to eat and that is what any animal is going to smell.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©