3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what has the best taste?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what has the best taste?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I killed an axis buck in Texas. That is the best deer type meat I've ever eaten. We also killed several 60-100 pound hogs while there and after cooking them all day with mesquite wood there was no BBQ sauce required. Amazing meat. But you can't compare pork with any deer like critters. Not in the same ball park for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Moose followed closely by elk. And what little mountain lion I have had has been wonderful.
Grass or alfalfa fed antelope is good, sagebrush antelope would gag a maggot.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
You need two lists.

1. Dall sheep

2. The junior varsity: Everything else you listed.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
While I agree much has to do with diet and handling, I would also add how far I had to pack it. The harder I worked for it generally adds to the flavor.     :)  
Moose
Whitetail
Pronghorn
Elk
The rest all run together....

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I have not tasted black tail or caribou that I recall, Of the other animals listed, the Moose that I can recall on a few occasions is my favorite.  :)
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
I absolutely love elk backstrap...the 'boneless ribeye' basically.

I've had good everything on your list if I killed it...and I've had good and poor everything on your list when I got it from others.

I would add wild pork to your list....can be sublime.

Whitetail in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois- I think is right up there if they're feeding on grains, alfalfa, or corn. On my last KS trip I ended up buying a doe tag and taking about a 150 lber..and she ate like beef. packaged up, but kept unfrozen in a cooler for a week, to age. Fresh ground pepper, sea salt, seared in olive oil in a hot cast iron skillet, then grilled over a real hardwood charcoal fire till medium....it was unforgettable.

Terry Green gave me some dry pronghorn sausage once that I thought was abfab.

Wild hog done up by my favorite processor into sausage that contains jalapeño and cheese...day in and day out, I could eat those for lunch every day and never get tired of it.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I've had excellent meals from all on your list, except blacktail. I think more depends on how the meat is handled than on the species. I would say that grass fed bison and wild hog (around 100 lbs) are among my favorites. I've also had some outstanding meals from various antelope in Africa.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
though I have only had elk and deer.  I think a lot of people have stated a very good point.  I think it matter more about what you do with the animal after the kill than the species.  I have ate good coon and was tricked into eating a possum one time, but dang was it good! lol.  

One of the things I have always heard is that a big catfish is not as good of eating as a smaller one, which I will agree to, but it can be better than what other guys do if they would take the time to prepare it properly.  You have to remove ALL of the red meat and silver lining on it, marinate in milk, batter well, and dont drop in the grease until it is at least 350*.  If you do these small steps, you wont know the difference.  

My point being is you have to take the time to prepare your game properly.  I'd bet any of those would taste good, if prepared properly.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Softshell turtle hands down the greatest tasting critter in my neck of the woods.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
The only wild game I have had that was "bad" or strong was game handled and prepared by others.

The 1 1/2 old farm doe I shot Saturday was handled correctly, and in the freezer within 24 hours. Each piece was cut and washed off BY ME. She will eat excellent.

I have some elk in the freezer that someone gave me....I will probably mix it in with some sausage. I don't trust how it was handled. It doesn't look spoiled, but I wasn't there...

Oddly enough, my one and only mule deer was AWESOME, and it was from a sage flat. BUT, Mike Vines and I had killed deer the same evening, we had them taken apart and on ice within 2 hours.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
so do most of you age your meat a few days say in the fridge or does it go directly to the freezer?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
venison in the fridge for five days-sometimes six or seven.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I agree with Doc that how any game animal is taken, cleaned, and prepared makes a huge difference, as does what it has been eating. Since I live in Iowa and I'm getting too old an poor to wander about the country, my staples are whitetails, turkeys and small game, all of which are excellent if you do things right. If I had to survive on a diet of Iowa whitetail meat, I could happily do so for the rest of my days.

I have had elk, and it was excellent. Never tried moose, but have heard it is great as well. The only time I had black bear, it was taken and prepared by my buddy Tom Young (aka saltwatertom) from Homer, Alaska. Based on that meal, I would rank bear right up there with the best game meat out there. Even my wife, who turns up her nose at wild game, had seconds!

It is interesting to see the varied answers here. I've eaten just about everything that walks, swims, or flies here in Iowa, and the only thing I wasn't fond of was racoon. I skinned out a possum once when I was a kid, and after that slimy, stinking experience, I wouldn't touch the stuff!

Interesting thread!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Always age meat - 5 to 7 days is about right - I work mine directly IN ice and have outstanding results.

worst animal we ever ate was an 8 point I kilt 8am and had it skinned - cut - wrapped - and into the freezer by noon - a complete disaster
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
Aging is tricky. Beef is aged in a temperature controlled environment. I don't have a walk in cooler. I prefer to cut and package within 24 hours, quicker if it's warmer than 35. You can thaw it out in the fridge for a few days, that seems to age it just fine.

We have shot deer in the UP, had them hang for quite a while, with temp's fluctuating between freezing and the high 50's. The venison has always been great, but we are pretty good about cleaning and cooling quickly.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
Yukon Moose Back Strap was Great. ( 10 years ago)
Fresh Elk Backstraps (Last Week ) a close second
Whitetails from the mid west are close third
Home State of PA Whitetails are good eating also
Had a Old Bull Elk from New Mexico several years back that was not fit to eat.
Animal Age along with the their diet makes a big difference along with the proper care and preparation of the meat.
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Doc stated it better than I can:

Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Interesting responses...

I'd have to say on each one, "IT DEPENDS".

Why?

Every animal's flesh is a product of several things

* diet (worst tasting mule deer was living in sage brush
* how it was killed (ie, dropped quickly or ran it's heart out)
* how it was handled after it hit the ground (skinned and cooled quickly, guts removed intact or all shot up and full of gastric juices

Those are just some of the factors I've found thru personal experience can seriously affect meat flavor and quality.  We won't go into "tenderness" as that always seems to generate more heat then light...

That said, I never met a well handled ungulate that I didn't like, Moose, Elk, Antelope (from irrigated alfalfa ranches), Mulie (other then sage fed), and whittail.

Even small game is taste dependent on the fodder it's eating... grouse on varied diet is great fare, on juniper berries, not so much...
All things being equal regarding the care of the animal, my favorites of what I have had are, in order:

Big Horn
Bison
Pronghorn Antelope off an alfalfa field
Elk/Moose
Mountain Lion
Whitetail/Mule deer
Black Bear
Mountain Goat
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
I usually like it all but the best I've had was at the Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi and that was Camel. It tasted just like veal to me. I always joke that I must have got a piece of the hump since it was so juicy and tasty.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Rabbit if fixed right
Same for squirrel
Deer
Turtle
Frog legs
Groundhog/Raccoon prepared right
young wild pigeon is very good
my Dad said muskrat fixed by a older southern lady when he was a kid was the best meat he ever ate..I could never bring myself to eat them when I trapped as they always smelled like wild onions.
 Had Bear and Moose 35 yrs. ago but cant remember the taste..
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Best is Moose followed closely by wildebeest.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©