3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you handle trespassers?  (Read 781 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you handle trespassers?
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
I was hunting private ground that I have permission to hunt Saturday. I'm the only one with permission other than the family that owns it. The family only gun hunts the place. Well this past weekend was the first day of the early inline season.
I was in my tree well before daylight and I saw 3 flash lights coming my way. I figured it was the owner and his kids. I hit them with my light and wasn't sure where they went.
I texted the owner and he let me know hours later that he wasn't there. By the time I climbed down, the trespassers were gone. The owner told me to run them off if I see them.
How would you guys go about running these people off?

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you handle trespassers?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
I guess what I'm asking is, should I put myself in a position that would have us cross paths on purpose?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't say a word to them. I'd call the owner and Natural Resources officers if I seen them again. They can probably back track them easy enough.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Next time you see them challenge them by saying your trespassing leave!! and let the property owner know. I wouldn't get anymore involved.The property owner is the only person that can enforce any prosecution and if they do not care its really a nonissue. I have almost got myself into hot water over trespassers and poachers. When the chips are down and the property owner backs off all eyes turn to you.

Offline JOLLYMON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I ran into the same problem.  When I told the owner he wanted to  post the property when he could.  I did that for him along the areas I knew they were coming from.  Have not seen them since so I am hoping that that is all there is to it.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I would tell them that they have two choices:

1. Leave

-or-

2. The local law enforcement will tell them to leave

no discussion, nuff said

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
On some land years back that I owned a share of, we had muzzleloaders coming in, the other owner caught them and took them to court.  They said they were lost and the judge through it out.  A week after the court appearance, they were back hunting pheasants with dogs, this time I handled it.  They were happy to leave and not come back.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
Having a confrontation with armed hunters who have no problems knowingly trespassing wouldn't be my first choice. i'd let the owner handle it.

If it was my property i would post it no trespassing, with bear trap warnings. And if they persisted i'd call the police.

Every state has different laws about it, and how they enforce it..... good luck, and be safe about it.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
I did forget to mention that the property is clearly posted.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
All private land in Louisiana is automaticaly posted so you better know whose property you are on at any given time.Posted signs are not required but can be used also.Kip

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Back track, find their car, copy down plates, take pics with car in relation to posted signs. have a memo to self, timed and dated. call the law. If it goes to court you have something other than your word.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Let them know that you know they are trespassing, and that you are calling the Sherriff. Then do it.

Don't get into a gunfight over it. I say something like "You are trespassing, and I have called the Sherriff" .LOUDLY.

Alternatively....cut one of their heads off and put it on a pole. The rest of them will leave..   :scared:    :bigsmyl:  (i'm just kidding, don't really do that)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Do not confront them. If possible find their vehicle and just take a picture of their vehicle location. Document the location on where you seen them trespass. Tag the pictures with GPS coordinates if possible. Let the police handle the rest but make sure you have everything documented.

I do confront trespassers on occasion but its not worth it and could turn negative. If I confront them I tell them we have two options...one you either leave or we handle it with the police. Once the trespassers know you mean business they generally pass that on to people who also trespass the property. For some reason the number of trespassers and safety zone violators in PA have increased dramatically over the past few years. Reason I don't want Sunday hunting....just another day I have to deal with knuckle heads.

Part of the problem here in PA is our fines are just a slap on the wrist and trespassers will trade better hunting opportunity for a chance of a small fine.

Ron

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
We had pictures all the evidence needed and they admitted it, but then lied their way out of it.  There is a social crony thing here.  We have turned in area hunters baiting, cutting live trees to block trails, and a number of other things like hunting well after hours, all intentionally done and knowing that they were breaking the law.  Depending who it is, makes a difference to the game warden.  He let the baiters go, but wanted to write me up because two guys on a four wheeler were harassing me, but according to him, I was using them to drive deer to me.  Of course the passenger sitting backwards with an arrow on his compound ready to shoot from the four wheeler was none of my concern.  When law enforcement is not objective or consistent, those who are willing to break laws will be encouraged to continue breaking the law.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
paven - Those people are not hunters....they are law breakers and choose to ignore the laws.

Ron

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Northwest Iowa has more than its share.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
If you do have a confrontation with someone in the future there is no way of knowing if it is the same hunters.  I like to start by being cordial and giving a person the benefit of the doubt.  They may have had permission to hunt a neighboring property and got turned around in the dark.  Because they left as soon as they saw your light that is my guess as to what happened.  In my experience people that are knowingly trespassing won't leave that easily.  If you do confront someone trespassing I would explain to them that you are the only one that has permission to hunt the property and ask them to leave.  Anything beyond that I would defer to the landowner.  Unfortunately these types of situations are only going to increase over time as more and more people compete for less and less available property.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Keep in mind even though the issue can make you angry. It's doesn't mean you have to deal with the issue in an angry fashion.  When I was about 14 or 15 I was one of 4 people allowed to hunt a very large farm. Well a bout 100 yards from my stand in the direction I came in from I heard what sounded like a bow being shot and crashing through the woods etc. well I climbed down and walked that way and sure enough there was a guy way up in a ladder stand who must have climbed in before I did. I walked by him along the field edge in the dark. Well he arrowed a doe. And I went up to him and said "I'm pretty sure you're in the wrong spot."  "Well I just shot a nice doe so I think I picked a good one" I said "nice! Well let me get my uncle I'm sure he'll want to congratulate you and he can help you with the four wheeler" now pointing in the direction of the house just a few hundred yards away and making my way to the house.  Well I bee lined back and my uncle and I went back out there. On the 4 wheeler. Needless to say the hunter was gone. Deer was left behind and so was the tree stand. He NEVER returned.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I also suppose thes days. Saying something like
"That's fine let's call "Bob" the land owner I'm sure he can clear this right up!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Go to the auto parts store & buy a $5 valve core tool... Let the air out of one tire...(screw the core back in!) Call the Sheriff & report the trespassers.....
Tell them they're the ones changing their tire!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©