3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not sure which Asbell to get..Help me.  (Read 414 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Not sure which Asbell to get..Help me.
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I want a Pathfinder Pull Over. Olive Drap. I just don't know what weight to get. It does get cold in Va but that is all relative. So cold to me is below 40. Usual late fall-winter hunts begin around 25-35 deg in the mornings and get up to 45-55 during the day. Evening about 35-45 deg. I sit on stand, no moving through the woods. I am cold natured. It was 37 this past saturday morning and I had under armor leggings and camo jeans, under armor shirt, 2 sweat shirts and I was cold. So what weight do I want?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not sure which Asbell to get..Help me.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Consider that wool is a layering material. While the weight is important, you can layer appropriately and take advantage of wools warmth no matter what.

Teresa may smack me for saying this....but I pay little attention to the weight. I grab the pattern I want and dress accordingly.

I hunted this weekend in breezy 28 degree weather. I wore a Pathfinder in HedgeApple Hideaway (heavy weight)with a sweater and a long underwear shirt under that. Moleskin pants, and long johns.  I was in a tree, on stand for 4 hours one site, and 3 hours the next. I was fine.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
ok that helps. I was thinking I wear an under armor shirt, sweatshirt and the wool heavy weight
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
If you want olive drab, it only comes in blanket weight.  Like Roger said, get the pattern you want and not worry about the weight.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
ok that helps. I was thinking I wear an under armor shirt, sweatshirt and the wool heavy weight
Ditch the sweatshirt. Stay away from cotton. make that layer thin wool or polar fleece. Thank me later    :D

G. Fred Asbell

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I layer with under armour cold gear, then merino wool, then asbell ploar fleece wind blocker with high neck, then Evening Stand Green Mackinaw (Heavy Weight) with or without cape, then an Evening Stand Brown Vest/no hood (Heavy Weight) and add the Mackinaw Cape over it all if necessary. This system works beautifully! I'm from Iowa and a tree stand Hunter down to single digit mornings on up... You can pick and choose any combination of these items for different purposes throughout the season and get maximum usage without too much bulk... If I needed any more than this it would be either too bulky to shoot OR you need the Heater Body Suit! Really warm weather is just the Asbell Vest.... Hope this helps.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
thanks it does!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Sitting still heavey weight, moving med or lite weight is my norm. If wind is up I add the wind blocker.

Offline Crested Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
if you aren't moving around I would go for a heavy wool. just my two cents
Feathers are friends!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
A propane heater....

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I have 2 of the zippered pull overs in extra heavy weight, but am thinking of getting a blanket weight garment. Either zippered pullover or anorak. It was 26 here the other morning, and I got slightly chilled after a couple hours on stand. Everyone reacts to cold Temps differently, and I am one who gets cold on stand, even using layers of silk, wool, cotton, and fleece.
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian P.:
I have 2 of the zippered pull overs in extra heavy weight, but am thinking of getting a blanket weight garment. Either zippered pullover or anorak. It was 26 here the other morning, and I got slightly chilled after a couple hours on stand. Everyone reacts to cold Temps differently, and I am one who gets cold on stand, even using layers of silk, wool, cotton, and fleece.
One of the mistakes we make is to talk about wool as if it's magic. It isn't. It's part of a "system" of layering. One of the things that will drive me from a stand is a cold neck. If my neck is cold, my hands and feet follow quickly. I always wear a wool hat of some sort, usually a Stormy Kromer, but often lately a simple wool stocking cap. Teresa made me a scarf last year that I wear more often than not.

I HATE wearing pack boots, but the darned of it is they are awesome warm....I am investigating some Schnees Pack Boots for this year.

If I can't wear natural fibers...wool and silk....the Under Armour garments work for layering.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
I agree. Part of the problem this past week was that it turned cold almost overnight. Was near 70 early in the week then in 20's by the weekend. Haven't had time to get acclimated to cool weather yet.
I bet if I had worn a heavier vest (Cabelas "wooltimate"), I would have been fine.
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned your camo jeans.  Jeans to me indicate cotton.  No good for cold weather.

Sometimes I go with merino wool underneath, with heavy bibs, sweater, then one of Asbell's hooded tops over it all.  Of course a good wool cap of some sort.  I like something around my neck also.

Anything colder than that, I break out my Heater Body Suit.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
I agree Rodger . The best way to stay warm is to layer .
I use a smart wool under layer then a wind stopper ( on cold windy days ) then my wool pants on top . Most time I won't even put on the final pullover on until I get settled in the stand and have a chance too cool down after my walk in .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©