3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about a climber tree stand LoneWolf Hand climber needed advice  (Read 413 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
I've enjoyed my double bull ground blind, it is about 13 lbs.(I had thim put the light rods in it), but then I add the chair 3 lbs. and all of my stuff, snacks,food, and water.  My entire pack adds up to 35 -38 Lb.

I'm thinking about downsizing, to a lone wolf hand climber, and then getting a fanny pack, if it doesn't fit in a fanny pack it will not go.  This past September I purchased a complete tree stand, lone wolf climbing sticks, Alpha lone wolf tree stand and with all the stuff including my pack, it was 40 + lbs., I took that particular tree stand back, because it was just too heavy with all the stuff.

I have the impression that the hand climber lone wolf stand will be less weight into the woods, and easier to use then one was climbing sticks for hang on stand.  I could be wrong, but I'm looking for some advice on it.

I have hunted from a tree stand once, it was a regular hang on, from what I have heard about the lone wolf hand climber, I get the impression that it is pretty easy to get up and down, provided you have trees with the branches.  I do have to hunt public land for right now, and I can go in deeper with the climber like that.  I know that lone wolf is not cheap, but the quality is there.
The
It would be helpful if some of you that have this particular stand, would give me some advice on it.  But just because you don't have that particular stand doesn't mean you can give me some advice.

Thanks

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about a climber tree stand LoneWolf Hand climber needed advice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Lone Wolf climbers are great! I've had the following API, Old Man, Lone Wolf and they all
work well, but the lone wolf is light weight and
folds flat it's solid built no tubing used at all.
I've never used the sit and climb just the hand climbers. Good luck get a Lone Wolf and then you'll have a stand that works!
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
The Lone Wolf climber is the best you will find. If you really want to go stealth and easy go for the hand climber.

The sit and climb is easy to setup but not as simple or quiet as the hand climber (I have had both). I think all said and done they are around twenty pounds.

The only problem with climbers is that you may not be able to get exactly where you want to be because of the lack of climbable trees.

This can be frustrating at times but usually I will just go back in with sticks and a hang on once I find a spot like that.

A LW climber will definitely simplify and lighten you load.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
Yes, I meant to say the hand climber, the sit & climb is about 5 lbs. heavier, but the hand climber is only 14 1/2 pounds.  It looks like it would be the ticket.

I had back surgery before, so I have to watch it.  On how much weight I am carrying, working out and stretching does help to,

I have looked at the hand climber on the Lone Wolf web site, looks like it's made strong.

Thanks

Carl

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I have the hand climber and made it a sit and stand just by adding a strap to the hand climbing portion.  That way I can use it both ways.  Really helps get you up that few extra feet when you need it on a tree with lower branches.

The stand is light and sets up / tears down very quietly if you take your time and do your part.

Skinner.
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
The Lone Wolf hand climber is great! I still use the hang on and a set of Lone Wolf mini climbing sticks 90% of the time. I can hang it about anywhere I want.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
I think both are close or over 20 pounds. I know they say 14.5 but it sure feels like twenty. Still the best (excluding comfort) stand in the woods though.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
My second year with the hand climber. I think it is quite as a stand can be. Compact and light, I can shoot with it on my back if needed!
Not real comfortable to sit, but that keeps me alert. I can sit 4 hours with no trouble and I can climb easily even with my fused right wrist. Easily sets up and packs up just as fast.
I recommend back pack straps, a seat pad between your back and the stand, and a safety belt of course! Carry a hook and hang your trad bow on the tree, the stand aint' much for holding a trad bow!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Here are a couple pics showing the strap I installed on my lone wolf and also the extra air cushion seat which I purchased from walmart. I use both the foam seat and the air cushion. It makes the time on stand much more comfortable. I also purchased a couple of the cheap camo rifle slings from walmart for 4.88 each and attached them to my stand as padded back pack straps. They work like a charm.
N/A

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
foxbo, what is the strap on the seat for?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Foxbo, did you give up the tree saddle? If that was not you, I'm sorry.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Osagetree,

I had one with the stap option, and it was for sitting while you climbed, if need be. It didn't work well for me.

I sold mine. I loved eveything about the stand, except for the climbing part. It's light, folds flat, and compact. I have a Summit Cobra that climbs so much easier, just doesn't fold flat.

I have gotten to where all I do this season is used the Lone Wolf Alpha Assault and tree spurs. Climb any tree with no pruning and get there, right now.

Mike

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Hay,

You guys are great !  Thanks for all the response, I went to Cabela's and purchased the lone wolf hand climber.  Now the fun begins, to learn how to use it, let me see, first time in a climber, first time in 30 yr.to shot a deer with a traditional bow !

Looks like I have got a great story comming !  Hopefully it will be within the next two weeks, as gun season starts the first week in November, that makes it a little more difficult.  But not impossible, I'm looking forward to the snow, following some tracks right up to the Bedding area, don't you just love winter.

Thanks again for all your comments, and the photos.  All of you are a big help in the process,

Thanks again

Pastor Carl

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Not to be confrontational but, what do you carry in your pack that adds up to another 20 or so pounds?  I thought that I was carrying quite a bit of extra so that is where I started my down sizing.  Just a thought, please don't take it the wrong way.  I like to eat while in the stand but I've been limiting that to a little jerky and a bottle of gatorade.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
My habits of camping in the boundary Waters, makes me take things so that if I was lost for three days I can survive.  I do take too much stuff, not so much food, but its other things.  So I have started evaluating that, it is late, so I'll give you a list later.

And don't feel bad about asking, sometimes someone will ask the right question, and it will get us thinking in the right direction.  Maybe a direction we don't want to go, but that's when life gets good, because a man said one time;

" In order for things to change, sometimes we have to change"

He's right !  Change starts with us.

Another man's definition of insanity;

" doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results"

Thanks for asking

Carl

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
Nope, I didn't give up the tree saddle. I use the lone wolf on mornings when I don't have a pre-drilled tree to hunt out of and don't feel like drilling holes in the dark with the woodpecker drill.

The strap on the lone wolf isn't exactly for sitting, well not completely. It supports part of my weight so I don't have to put all of my weight on the seat,with my arms, during climbing. I have the strap just the right length so when I climb, my arms are resting on top of the seat and my hands clasp the tree. It works very well in this fashion and is lots safer from a fall. Maybe what I need to do is have someone take a pic of me while I'm using it in this fashion.
N/A

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
Just a couple of questions for you guys with the sit and climb version. Do you just sit on the bar to climb? and how easy is it to move the bar out of the way once your up there.
I've been useing a Ole man climber now for about six years now with no problems but that bar going arcross the front has always caused a problem with my longer bows...Thanks, Craig

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
I was fortunate, when I purchased my lone wolf hand climber, I was able to get it for $263.99, now that's pretty good deal I also purchased the Pro series hunter safety system, and they took $26 off that.  Shasammmm,

That always makes it a lot of fun !  :goldtooth:

Now if it would just stop raining   :(  

I would go find me a tree, to do a little practice

Carl   :biglaugh:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
BrokenArrow1

You better sit down while you read about my good deal on the LW hand climber.

I paid $50 brand new in the box! A local sports shop was selling off last year's treestands to make room for the new inventory. All stands went for $50 each. I went back and bought another climber and a LW hang on for a couple buddys. I got $800 worth of LW stands for $150!

Climbing tip: If I lean on the seat with my arms like in the instructions I severely bruise my elbows. Last Fall I really messed up my elbow while climbing. It didn't completely stop hurting until a couple months ago. I still feel it if I lift something heavy. I made a sling and found it to be awkward. Now I just lean my gut over the front edge of the seat and hang on to the strap around the tree. It works much better for me.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©