3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ****PLEASE CHECK YOUR TREE STANDS****  (Read 510 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
****PLEASE CHECK YOUR TREE STANDS****
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Please check your tree stands and wear a four point safety harness. A friends brother was out hunting this weekend and as he went to climb down from his hang on stand, the strap broke. To make matters worse, he was wearing the old style "safety " belt. He was hanging upside down. Fortunately he was able to reach his cell phone and dial 911. He was lucky!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ****PLEASE CHECK YOUR TREE STANDS****
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Yes he was.  He was also lucky he didn't break ribs and bleed internally from that belt.

We do dangerous things, like stand in trees !  We need to be careful and not take chances.

Thanks for the heads up.
Chuck

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Exactly why I'm a ground blind hunter. Don't know how long it takes suspention trauma to set in but I'm happy he's OK. Thanks for the reminder Sean.

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Anything higher than a bar stool gives me a nose bleed.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
A doctor told me 8 minutes for suspension trauma. The blood all runs to lower extremities and your heart cannot pump it back up. Just to give everyone an idea of how long.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Why can't your heart pump it back up ?
ChuckC

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Chuck, Hope this helps:1. Leg Circulation: A fall arrest harness does a great job of dissipating the energies generated during a fall arrest through the long axis of the human body. After all motion has stopped, that same harness – particularly the dorsal attachment configuration – will most likely impose pressure to the femoral vein that is the primary blood vessel that returns blood from the legs towards the heart. In fact, in order to pass certification testing, these harnesses must not allow the test mannequin to assume greater than a 30 degree forward lean upon suspension. Any degree of forward lean will exert leg strap pressure on the femoral vein which impedes blood return. To compound this, the human body relies on what is known as the muscle/venous pump to assist the blood return from the legs to the heart. In suspension, the worker often forgets to bicycle their legs to create this muscle/venous pump. The trapped blood in the legs creates what is known as distributive shock as more and more blood is trapped in the legs; there is less to circulate for the rest of the body (brain, heart, lungs, and kidneys). Additionally this blood becomes highly acidic and toxic with metabolic wastes.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline ebeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I will be taking a good look at my stands before the next time I hop on them.

DennyK, appreciate the detailed description of the dangers of suspension trauma.  I am trying to hunt more from the ground this year also, but still hunt from trees occasionally.  More importantly, my son is still trying to harvest his first deer, and I often put him in a tree stand so he'll see more deer while I have fun on the ground.  I make it a point to stay well within shouting distance if anything goes wrong.
Eric Beard

“A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” -Fred Bear

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
That's why I use the HSS lifelines and one of their vest safety harnesses. Always attached from the moment my feet leave the ground.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
That happened to me a couple years ago, except my stand didn't break, I just missed the step coming down.  A long 4 months of sleeping on couch and no weight on leg.

Like Mint, I use the Lifeline now so I am connected in the whole time.  This would have saved me from my fall.  A real easy system to use.  Cost is minimal when considering the consequences.  My two surgeries for my broken leg tallied over $75,000.  Thank goodness for insurance.

bottom line is ...Stuff happens to everybody and it can happen fast...so take time to think and be careful.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I've got some pictures of my foot that would make anyone want to secure their ladders and wear proper safety harnesses. However, I don't think mods would allow me to post them. I've missed out on hunting for the past two years and I won't be able to hunt this year either. I'm also looking into getting my foot amputated.
I've had four surgeries, live every day in pain. Every step I take feels like it's breaking again.
Secure your ladders, wear a good harness. It's just not worth the risk. TRUST ME.
Here's a safe picture if you want to see.
   10 foot fall
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Damn that's bad
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tater John:
Damn that's bad
You should see it without the wrappings. Probably scare someone off of using tree stands.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
We did see it by clicking the arrows for next pic. Yuck sorry Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I recognize that hardware from my setback. That was not fun ...
This is what they left inside.
I am getting around pretty good now hopefully you will get there too...hang in there.
  ]web page[/URL]
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I wasn't lucky enough to break my leg. I broke my ankle. If you look in Bisket's X-ray, the bone below the two leg bones. I broke that in half, dislocated half of it, crushed the other half, broke my heel in three places, destroyed the joint between the heel and the main bone (talus), and tore just about every tendon and ligament in there. I have massive nerve damage and can't feel a lot of my foot. My range of motion is almost 0. I can't be on uneven ground for long before I'm in extreme pain.
I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the docs about getting my foot amputated and getting a prosthetic one. Been trying to save my foot for two years. I don't think I can. I'm quite tired of the constant pain.

I was on a ladder. It wasn't secured and collapsed out from under me. So, when I say secure your ladders. I'm speaking from experience.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
We did see it by clicking the arrows for next pic. Yuck sorry Brother!
I have worse. Those were tame.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I feel it necessary to bring this back up.  A friend of mine fell yesterday while hunting at another friends place.

Appears as though the strap on the stand broke, I don't know all the details.

What I do know is he was strapped in and somehow still fell.  He struck his head and was knocked unconscious.  When he awoke he had neck pain and was covered in blood.

He was fortunately able to call his buddy who was able to find him with an ATV and take him back to his the house.

He was driven to a local hospital and found to have a depressed skull fracture that was allowing air to leak into his skull/brain cavity.

He was flown to another hospital to be seen by a neurosurgeon.  Again, fortunately no surgery was required and he is supposed to be discharged today.

I do know he did not hang the stand he was hunting in. Another in their hunting party did hang it so they all thought it was safe.  I do know they leave their stands up all year.

Lessons for me to learn, always check the stand prior to getting in it and always double check my rigging.

Stay safe guys/gals...

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Wow, Jeremy, I wish your friend a speedy recovery. It can and does happen!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »