3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some days...it's hard...  (Read 907 times)

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Some days...it's hard...
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Hard to stay motivated to stick to traditional. I have been practicing solely with my longbow for going on 8 months and I still cannot even maintain a reasonable grouping even at 10 yds. Is this normal? Ive read books, watched videos... I am at my wits end. I shoot at a plain ol target I put about a half dollar sized spot on. Is there better ways to practice. Any recommendations.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some days...it's hard...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
I have been at about the same amount of time. here is what helped me.
1.first I shot a ton of arrows.
2.then I got used to the weight of the bow and tuned my arrows
3.the more I shot the more I developed my own anchor and method
4.from then until now I have worked on form and release.
5. you have to want it more than anything. that means shooting every chance you get...
this is what has worked for me.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Find a MENTOR.  There must be someone near you that could assist.  

You can't imagine how much that helps.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
make sure your arrows are tuned to your bow.Spine ect. That caused me lots of heart ache in the beginning.Read every thing you can in the form section.

Are you shooting instinctive or gap?
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
You need to attend a training class from a first rate instructor. Obviously, you have some severe faults, but with good instruction a lot of progress can be made reasonably quickly. Don't throw in the towel yet.
Sam

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
I tuned my arrows best I could and I am trying to do instinctive. I have yet to meet anyone in person that shoots traditional.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Have you asked for help on here on arrows you should be shooting, how to hold the bow, stance, etc.

Their are a lot of great guys on this site that are very willing to help.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Twin Oaks is in TN! There has got to be plenty of trad shooters there too! You just have to get out to shoots and such and find them.

Good Luck!

Bisch

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Are there no Tennessee archers on this site?
52#@28"

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I have read and watched just about everything you can and try to apply it all.

One would think so Bisch, but they must not be in the same circles I visit. I just need to take the time to get down there I suppose. No joke, I have yet to meet another trad shooter in person yet...
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
All good advice above. I would suggest self video if you have the means. It amazes me what I can spot as far as flaws in my form by reviewing a video. You can also share it with Arne, Dave and others on the shooting forum.

Best of luck and hang in there. It is worth the time and effort when it finally starts to click!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
Are you new to archery or new to trad?

The reason I ask is I have a friend who shoots a wheel bow. He's looking for 1 inch groups at 30 yards. I'm excited if I don't lose an arrow at 30 yards!! Different frame of reference.
52#@28"

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I came from compound and I got good enough that I could put 3 out of 5 arrows in a playing card at 50 yds on average. I feel like I have a good base on archery, but for whatever reason I cannot get consistent with my longbow, so there must be something fundamental to trad archery that I am just not doing. I guess I will try the video thing.

I realize I will probably never reach the accuracy I had with the compound, but I think 6 inch groups at 10 yards is not expecting too much. Right now I am all over the place.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
There are so many small details to get right shooting trad, that it is easy to screw up any given shot. Consistency is much more difficult to maintain with trad gear. Once you get your form down, your shooting will improve exponentially.

Like I said above, it is worth the effort. Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
1. It does not looked like you are over bowed with 48#. That is GOOD!

2. Odds are you way overspined. If you are shooting woods (which is about the worst thing a non "expert" could do) you should be in the 50/55 range, aluminums about a 2016, or carbons in the .500 or 35/55 range.

3. I learned the same way long ago by reading books and videos. Trust me, that is a BAD idea. Find an old guy that understands FORM and learn from him or look on here for one of Rod Jenkin's shooting clinics. I'm still plagued by demons I reinforced in my younger days shooting thousands upon thousands of arrows wrong from reading "instinctive" shooting books. Nip that now, it will be the best money you ever spent.

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I am shooting 500 carbon easton axis cut to 30". They showed on average just a tad weak bare shafting them. They should be pretty close I would think, not so bad as to give me such problems surely. But, what do I know, ha ha.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
The whole Gap vs instinctive subject allways seems to be a debate issue. But this isn't about debate, it's about you.

Try shooting gap for a while. Close one eye, sight down the arrow, put the tip on the target and let er rip.

I prefer to shoot instinctive,but in the last year while working on my form issues, I sometimes shoot gap for a few days. It helps recalibrate my brain if that makes any sense at all.

Its all the same to your bow and the arrow. If your going along shooting gap and one day you open both eyes and focus on the spot instead of the arrow now your "instinctive"

One eye "gap"     two eyes "instinctive"
52#@28"

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Yeah, I actually have been trying a sort of hybrid version I guess.  I shoot "instinctive" but use my peripheral to use the arrow as a reference of sorts, it seemed to help at first.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
You have a pm

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archer1977:
I am shooting 500 carbon easton axis cut to 30". They showed on average just a tad weak bare shafting them. They should be pretty close I would think, not so bad as to give me such problems surely. But, what do I know, ha ha.
Bare shafting is tough to do if you don't have good form. Sounds like you are in good shape with your bow and arrows. Find somebody that knows what they are doing to help you. Interpreting what the books and videos say is not easy and it's a lot better with somebody there to say, no you don't have that quite right.

Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©