3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand theft  (Read 643 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stand theft
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
This week myself and several friends had stands stolen both hang on and ladder type, all were cable locked also several cameras , all in different locations. I know Im not alone to experience the scourge of the stand stealing maggots ! Has anyone ever attempted a gps tracking device installed in to stands ? HELP any thoughts    Thanks

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand theft
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
i think some C4 packed in the frame with a small det would be better served!- swines!!!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
That stinks! There seems like not even the woods is safe from vandals anymore! Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully they get caught. I lost a whole set up a few years back from my friends property! It sucks!

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I had two stands taken last year. it sucks and really puts a damper on hunting.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I've seen little GPS tags that you can put on your keys. It's an idea but you would really have to hide them on the stand or camera so that they're not seen and taken off.

Here's one I've seen for keys.
 https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo/lost-keys?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Bravo_Search_LostKeys_cpc&utm_campaign=Bravo_Search_LostKeys&gclid=CjwKEAjwzJexBRCa_pGo8IK0ilASJABfGldbhsAzs- I8KhnKLyRGMupbz8Bl-HiDbtkiXSX50hGsTBoCdWvw_wcB

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
my fellow massachusetts hunter,,, its all part of hunting here I had 3 stolen myself, had someone crap at the bottom of my ladders, found amonia,bleach, and fabric softner bottles at my stands, have a collection of notes the best one threatening to put a broadhead up my A%^ if I don't leave, and who knows what else that I never noticed,,,,, thank you Massachusetts!

anyway instead of using the cameras to watch for deer in Mass its highly encouraged to instead put the camera across from the stands and high up a tree and using a wooden triangle behind the camera pan it down to the bottom of the tree,,, now if stand ever goes missing climb up pull card and then hunt the person who robbed you.
"Us vs Them"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I like the GPS tracker tags idea myself. You could put a small slit in the seat and hide it in there. Perhaps glue them into the camera frame and cover with tape to conceal.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
public land?

The only time I would place a stand on public land is if Id expect never to get it back.
Too many idiots out there
Slickhead

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
I electrify my stands like electric fence. Lights their ass up. I have a buried battery that is charged by solar power and wire ran underground. So far it has worked well. I have a remote that turns it off so I can get in my stand. Turn it back on when I leave. I use it for my ladder stands. I have had too many stolen.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
That stinks.  That is why I went with lightweight ladder stands that weigh around 35 lbs.  I put them on one shoulder and bow in the other hand.  Has worked pretty well.  I don't leave the area without taking them with me.  It is a pain but have not had to worry about stolen stands.  Ken

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
People are rude that's all there is to it.  Last year I set up a ground blind and hunted that evening.  About one hour before dark here comes an idiot with a crossbow.  I guess he thought he was stalking because he was walking very slowly, across the middle of an open crp field????  Anyway I whistled at the dude and he waved.  He then proceed to circle my position, cross over private property, re-enter and then set up 40 yards upwind of me.  I finally stood up and said you're kidding me right????  And his reply was, "you cant set up next to someones blind and then expect that person not to hunt it."  He had a tree stand up a small tree and I was totally unaware of it.  Now when I was a kid I was taught if someone was hunting a spot, even if it was your best spot, you move on.  You certainly don't set up 40 yards upwind of the person????  I was so pissed, I finally left and walked to the road.  I passed his stuck and saw that he was from the area.  I had a few thoughts about arrows, broadheads and steelbelted tires.... but I thought better of it.  Anyways, I have come to expect that kind of behavior from a lot of folks on public land.  And what I have noticed is that a lot of times the worst offenders are the local guys.  The drive their four wheelers on restricted roads, liter, and can be down right rude.  Most of the out of state hunters I bump into are usually pretty well manner and I've never had a problem with them.  I guess a few of the local boys think they own the damn woods - unfortunately to include stands and cameras.  Sad times we are living in.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Theft is a Big problem in Michigan . On public and privet lands  . I'm now using cheap ladder stands $ 50.00 from Manards . I just can't justifie loosing a $300.00 stand or camera . In fact I quite using my cameras !

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
In AZ anything left on public land after 24 hours is considerd abandoned. So I never leave stands ,blinds or cameras out. The sheriff's office, the game and fish and forest service will confiscate them as well.though inam sure alot of the disappearances are people takeing them.
Would you expect to find a $100 bill there a few days after stapeling it to a tree?
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
On public land in pa, I set my hang ons up in the dark, took them down at lunch, moved to another area and reset for the evening watch, took them down and went home.

To do less was an instant invitation to buy a different stand...

Stands are expensive...

Left a few up for a few days on very private land...but no more.  

Tight times make for loose morals. People are "entitlement" oriented these days and figure anything anyone else has, they should also have...redistribution of wealth perhaps?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
The state's I'm aware of allow portable, non-tree damaging stands. The stand must have the owner's name and address. The stand must be removed within a certain number of days after the season. The owner is NOT guaranteed that no one will not set up next to them.

At a public WMA early in my career we had a heck of a bonfire at the end of every season fueled by dozens of stands that were left behind. In those days (early 80's) they were mostly home-made stands.

I don't hunt public lands. I've had one stand stolen off private land (a ladder). I discovered it opening morning when I arrived in the dark to put my elderly uncle in the stand just to observe the morning -- he wasn't hunting. We had just moved there and I think someone thought we were trespassing. I made it clear to neighbors that I didn't appreciate it. Haven't had a problem since.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Opps wrong post.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
I have been lucky. I had one stand taken by a young guy who thought it was on the property he had access to. He readily admitted he took it, and when I showed him the actual property line, he immediately returned it. A thief is a low rent SOB on his best day.

As for those who have received threats, that is the reason Gaston always goes hunting with me.
Sam

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
I would leave a small weatherproof note on all my stands that states this stand has a GPS device attached and can be tracked, even if you don't have the GPS unit attached it might make them think twice before taking the stand.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
I have a friend that says he tack welded razor blades in certain areas on a stand after having one stolen. He said that he later found a blood trail leading away from the stand.

I like the electrified idea above.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
I have a friend that says he tack welded razor blades in certain areas on a stand after having one stolen. He said that he later found a blood trail leading away from the stand.

I like the electrified idea above.
Your friend could be prosecuted. Not a good idea.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©