3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: someone is....  (Read 455 times)

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
someone is....
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Hunting on my uncles land.He built a 4 by 8 treestand with a roof.My uncle is going to put up posted signs.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: someone is....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
When you know the guy is in there, call the cops and have him arrested.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
we dont know specific times.I might put up a camera.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
It all depends on the state laws. A few years ago in Montana it was considered open for hunting unless posted otherwise.. Didn't even have to ask..
Damn Nice guy

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
he's about to post it this week.i hope he gets caught.Would we get to keep the tree stand,i sure hope so.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
If it is on your land and he did not have permission to put it there, then I bet it is yours.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Keep the stand.... and watch over your shoulder for a long long time, or tell him to remove it and sleep well at night.
 Easy answer.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
I'll have to disagree with Pete.   :)  
 First thing is read the laws  :readit:   on whether or not it has to be posted and get it right. Then make SURE you get the law involved.  :eek:   The CO's in our neck of the woods really enjoy giving tresspassers and baiters tickets. You may be able to get him for destruction of property as well if the trees he drove nails into were suitable for lumber. Your uncle will need to be willing to press the charges and be a hard-a$$ about it. The more upset you are the more likely the law will do something about it. After this fella gets pinched he'll start spreading the word and you'll have fewer folks trespassing there.  :knothead:  
 I HATES ME SOME TRESSPASSERS!  :mad:    :mad:
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
If he's an illegal immigrant he's got more rights than you or your uncle. Here in NH you need landowner's written permission to use any stand that involves penetrating more than the bark, screw in tree steps or the "right" to trim live branches over 1" thick whether you use a tree stand or ground blind.. If this guy did something on private property then anything your uncle wants to do with the stand is up to  your uncle. I would tear it down and leave a note as well as post the land.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
You could just pull out a few strategically placed nails and let gravity take care of the problem next time he climbs in  :)

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
climb up there and take a big ol dump in the middle of it, he wont be back   :goldtooth:  seriosly though, get the law involved.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Get the law involved.  Many CO's jump at the opportunity to actually catch someone in the act.   It kind of makes up for all the ones they cant get.

I wouldn't remove any nails, injury on your property could result in a lawsuit.  Unfair but true.

I might not hurt to dump a bottle of coon urine or skunk scent in the stand as well.     :D
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
get some bee hives and put at the tree

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't understand the "terrorist/vandalism" actions.  Based on laws (here in NY), that action would put you at risk litigation (and likely loose for creating a hazard - you want to loose your land for that?).  Post your land (your laws may be different, but then it becomes off limits).  Put a sign on it telling him to leave or take it down.  Maybe check it for use (lots of ways to do that on the sly).  If use continues you now have willful violation, and get the law involved or if you encounter him, just ask him to leave.  I think diplomacy works better than flying off the handle.  Next thing you know, something ugly happens.  Play it safe.

just my opinion, no debate needed

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Chas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Gene, did he have to cross a fence to get to your property? Maybe he believes that he is on his own land, putting up a tree stand like that. How does he get there? Look for his vehicle on nearby roads, and get the tag number. First contact the game warden, and take his advise.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I believe I am correct in saying, "all land in Alabama is posted".  You do not have to have signs up for it to be illegal for someone to hunt on your property.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
i think your right and he/she drove an atv through the woods and used a saw to make a trail.i also live in alabama(north east).

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
You stay out of it and let the DNR/sheriff handle it. You can show them where the stand is. They love the easy cases like this. It may be a simple misunderstanding, but it's better handled by someone with a badge and a gun.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I had something similar happen to me last year.  I have a 500 acre tract that I hunt along with one other person.  The landowner informed me that he had caught a guy coming off the property with a rifle one Fri evening.  It was on the backside of the property a long way from where I had been hunting.  He and I went to investigate the following Sunday afternoon.  I found a tree that had been climbed with a climber and a 40 yard circle where shelled corn was scattered on the ground.  The landowner had gotten the name and cell # from the guy, who claimed to have been hunting the adjoining property.  I called the guy from the woods and informed him where I was and that I had found corn strewn all over the area (I did'nt accuse him, but rather presented it like "can you believe it").  I also told him that he might want to be carefull if he was near the area because I had contacted the game warden and had given the game warden both (my and his) names and cell #'s in case he wanted to talk to us and get additional info.  Never saw any signs of the guy back on the property.

Tom is correct though.  It is a dangerous proposition to confront someone you catch on your property.  You never know who you are dealing with.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Tom Leemans has it right.  

Why even put yourself in the situation to confront or anger someone caring a weapon around on your property?

Sounds like it could be a mistake.  If you were going to poach someones property would you really take the time and make the noise building a stand or would you hunt from the ground or a climber?  I mean the guy spent the time to build a roof on this thing he must think he didn't do anything wrong.  Maybe a neighbor gave this guy permission and he thinks he is on the correct property?

Mike Norton
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©