3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strung Bow??  (Read 995 times)

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strung Bow??
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
I leave my bow strung while I am hunting and camping. I usually unstring my bows when they come in the house. My bows are hung vertically by their strings on either end of a bookshelf, so it is a space thing. I think i also learned that they should be unstrung when not in use years ago.
There is less potential energy looking for a place to happen when unstrung.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
I leave most of my bows strung most of the time...never have seen any negative consequences

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
A thick cored narrow tipped  bow with less glass like a Schulz longbow can take a temporary set if left loaded for long periods.  most of the time it will come out of it.  A thinner cored bow that is wider, will not show much change if left loaded.  Leaving a bow loaded will reduce string wear.  I did see a Bear Super Kodiak that had been left loaded for several years, that weighed 4 pounds less than its stated draw, they tested the scale and it was accurate.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
It's your bow do what you want. How can someone learn to shoot a stick bow and have problems stringing or unstringing a bow.

It is so simple to do with a stringer.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Depends on witch bow. My primitives are always unstrung when not in use.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by bear bowman:
KirKll, what is hung up properly? I'm asking because I don't know.
You can hang a bow on a nail or even a wooden dowel verticly that can put lateral pressure on the limb, and possibly cause limb twist if it hangs there long enough. especially in temps above 90 degrees.

Hanging a bow properly would be hanging it from the string resting on two pegs horizontally with no torque on the limbs at all.or the bows limbs resting on the pegs evenly like you see on bow racks.  

You can hang a bow for short periods of time vertically on a peg from one end no problem. If the pegs are 90 degrees from the bow and not torquing the limbs you could let them hang this way no problem....

check out this rack

These are kind of cool and hold the bows weight from the top limb gently with rubber grips. they are made for garden tools. They also hold your bow whether its strung or not.... very cost effective too. i use this rack daily as i work on different bows.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
right now I have 3 bows I'm hunting with depending on my mood and what spot I'll be in and they all will stay strung until the season ends,,, if any of my recurves are unstrung right now chances are they won't see the woods.

longbows are so easy to string I leave them un strung for more hanging space and just push/pull when heading into woods.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »
Hmm been thinking back and forth about this.  I un-string every time though...... Seems like it could put unnecessary stress on the loops of a string sliding down and back up again.... Also wondering if there are long term effects on the bow......Still not sure.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 04:57:00 AM »
I was the same way. but as much as I shoot there is more chance of me damaging by stringing and unstringing the recurve than just letting it be. now if for some reason I won't shoot for 2-3 weeks I will unstring, maybe. but I really don't think it is all that necessary with modern materials.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
Yeah there is that. But if you are using a stringer it almost "knock on wood" doesn't seem like there is much chance of damaging it if you just string it properly. We will see need to do more research.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
My regular bows only get unstrung for maintenance.

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 01:16:00 AM »
I unstring my bow after every time I shoot!

Bisch

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 04:15:00 AM »
I never unstring my hunting bow unless I absolutely have to (like when riding a horse). But I shoot it at least a few times every day. The ones I don't shoot stay unstrung.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 04:40:00 AM »
The one I'm shooting a lot stays strung all the time.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
this question comes up at least twice a year.

with modern trad bows, made with modern materials, such a bow can be left strung until the string needs replacing ... and then the cycle begins again.

the only caveat will be the strung bow's environment, where any abnormal heat is to be avoided for extended periods of time.  if it's too hot and/or dry for you, it's no good for the bow.

my bows stay strung up all the time and only get unstrung for travel or a new string.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
My selfbows I leave unstrung except when actually shooting.

My fiberglass backed longbows and recurves are all unstrung and hanging on hooks...EXCEPT the one bow I pick to hunt with for a particular season.

That bow stays strung the entire time after I get brace height back where I want it after being relaxed on wall.  The only thing I defend against is leaving it in direct sunlight strung and I dont leave it in vehicles in heat either.  If I am comfortable my bow is comfortable.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Glass bows I leave strung and hung properly.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I do unstring my if my brace has changed just to get it back to where it needs to be. sometimes I see that it has changed 1/8" or less so I bring it back again to where it shoots best. I assume it's string stretch.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Don't know why folks think stringing and unstringing a bow is such a chore.  I've been doing it for nearly 60 years now without a mishap.  

Anything under stress/tension for a long time is affected by that tension.  It may not be immediately noticeable, but the stress does have an effect. I unstring my bows after I'm done shooting them.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
with "modern" glass, let alone carbon fiber and ceramics, and epoxies, combined with any genus of wood ya like, and a good heat lamination system, a bow that's been left strung for 20 years in a moderate climate of both temperature and humidity, will show absolutely zero negative effects whatsoever.  correct brace tension is negligible.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©