3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to me Bama Expedition Hunter III  (Read 322 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
New to me Bama Expedition Hunter III
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Well, my Kanati died a few weeks ago. I was bummed to say the least. I still have my recurves, but I'm a longbow guy at heart. My problem is lack of funds at present due to building a house on my hunting property. As luck would have it, I found a 60" Bamabows Expedition Hunter III, born in January of 2015 for what I consider a steal of a price. I sold some stuff I didn't need, and she arrived today!

Specs are 60", 48# @ 28", actionboo cores under black glass, bubinga riser with ash and bubinga riser overlays, and bubinga and phenolic tip overlays. The riser is probably as pretty a piece of bubinga as I've seen. It is a relatively plain hunter's bow, which is exactly what I wanted. The 60" seems kind of long. I'm used to my 58" Kanati and 56" Orion recurve, but it's not in any way unwieldy.

Here are some pics. I don't have too many yet. The mailman came at about 1:00, so by the time I had some arrows tuned and took a few shots, it was time to change clothes had head to the blind. No luck there...it started to rain and lightning, so I headed back down early. All I saw was a big tomcat.

Here are three shots at 20 yards after I figured out an arrow that she liked.

Pretty bubinga!

She likes a fairly heavy arrow. I got bullet holes in the paper with 28 3/4" Beman ICS Bowhunters with 225 grains up front. I haven't checked FOC yet, but I suspect it will be pretty good...20 percent or there abouts. They weigh in at 480 grains, which would be 10 gpp at the marked weight, but I don't think I get 28" anymore, so it's more like 46#. I can tell you one thing, it really slings an arrow! I haven't run her through the chrono yet, but seat of the pants chrono says she's fast!

With these arrows, she's also VERY quiet! The PO had the brace height at 7 3/8". I suspect that was an attempt to keep the bow quiet with lighter arrows. I dropped it to Nate's recommended 7" BH and just get that little longbow thunk on release. The hiss of the feathers is almost as loud!

So far, I'm impressed. The finish is second to none. The grip fits pretty well. It's not a Kanati, but it will do for now. For what I paid, I won't be shy about customizing the grip to fit perfectly...not that price has ever stopped my from doing that before, lol! At this point, I think she's a keeper.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to me Bama Expedition Hunter III
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Very nice!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Nice......best of luck with your new bow!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Congrats! Nate  builds fine bows, and that right there is a superb example.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Arrows turned out to be 20.43% FOC, so my guess was pretty close. That, coupled with the speed of this bow, should provide for some great penetration.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Nice bow.  I am just down the road from Bama bows.  On my list of "want" bows.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©