3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your favorite blunt tip?  (Read 522 times)

Offline pockets

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your favorite blunt tip?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
I mainly use 5/16" wood shafts with:
Judo
Ace Hex
.327 Federal Magnum cartridges (with a lead .31 ball squashed inside for weight).

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Finger,  My OWN personal experience is that the hex and Hammer(type) have cupped faces with sharper edges that tend to catch more material and stop the head quicker in dense material like a stump or even mud. The standard blunt... not so much.  They deflect and zing under and around.

I also find ( again, my own experience) that the wider heads, although they may grab more than the Hex heads, they also have this aggravating tendency to catch hard stuff, like rocks, posts, hard trees, etc on one of their edges, which ( again.. for me) results in enough side torque to break the arrow right behind the head, losing the head to the woods.

I use hex heads or, for skwerls, I make and use nutters, which is cheaper, works OK and, well, it is something I make instead of buy.
ChuckC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I kind of forgot about the Ace Hex heads. I like them on woodies. They aren't quite as tough as the Hammers, but they do work pretty well. They catch on stuff fairly well, but not as well as judos or G5s. As far as Judos being expensive, that's kind of relative. I've never been able to lose one and I've pounded rocks hard enough to shatter carbons and bend aluminum shafts without doing noticeable damage to the Judo. In fact, just yesterday, I was stumping and accidentally made solid contact with a rock. My carbon shaft snapped off behind the aluminum footing, the nock was nowhere to be found, but the Judo was good as new! I'm not sure how many other heads would withstand the punishment a Judo will take, not to mention its unsurpassed ability to NOT bury in the grass.

The cartridge cases are cheap, but they tend to have a nasty habit of sneaking under the grass in my experience. That's why I went with the hex blunts on woodies. I still love shooting woodies, but right now I have way too many projects to have time to make them. Carbons are just too much faster.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Ace Hex heads for me.  Tough and come in a variety of weights.  Never lost one.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
VPA  Thumpers    :thumbsup:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Another vote for Hex Heads.  those are one well designed, tough, hard hitting head.  Love having a few of them in the quiver for grouse and ptarmigan.

That said however, I always a couple dozen "thumpers" made up with .38 casings brought up to weight with some split shot.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
VPA for the wide range of weights but I like the spring arm types in places with heavy grass. There are some really economical extruded plastic ones I use that have little plastic arms that work really well but the little arms break off kind of easy but they cost less than a buck a piece and still work without the arms really well but don't grab onto the grass anymore. VPA are definitely the best quality and overall the best performance and work the best in the most types of situations!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
For screw in points, I like The Forge Converta Blunt that 3 Rivers sells. I combine it with a 125gn field tip to get the 200 grains up front that I shoot the majority of the time.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll second the Ace Hex Heads.  I've been shooting them for several years and they work very well for both stumping and small game.  Hit harder and don't slide under stuff as bad as a plain blunt.  There's one in my quiver now.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Ace hex head for sure. Works great. Hits hard. Just spent an hour stump shooting, actually, small plastic drink bottles tossed on open range not stumps, with my bud. Great fun and you would be surprised how well the little root beer bottles with screw on tops attached held up. Highly recommend the Ace Hex head.   :archer2:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowhuntingrn:
For screw in points, I like The Forge Converta Blunt that 3 Rivers sells. I combine it with a 125gn field tip to get the 200 grains up front that I shoot the majority of the time.
Hadn't seen those before, they do look pretty slick!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Zwickey Judo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©