3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear video  (Read 421 times)

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear video
« on: October 21, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
I was watching "Fred Bear Dangerous Game Bow Hunting" on Youtube and at the 20:50 mark he's shooting a water buffalo or something. Search for the video and look at the arrow as it flies.  It looks like it has a smoke trail behind it??? What do y'all think?

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear video
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
I believe he was using his "pods"! The poison arrow that he was trying to push.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
Yep something is sure making a smoke trail.  I wonder if he was using a pod system on that hunt.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Yep, that was a pod

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Fred Bear using a poison pod!!! WOW  Never knew that.   :eek:    :eek:    :eek:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Different time, different place.  As I understand it, Mr. Bear was trying to make the kill quicker, more humane, even if the shot was marginal.  

We look back at some of the first mechanical heads and shake our heads wondering "how in the world could they have used such a thing?".  

'Course this was before tree huggers and peta, when there weren't so many people who put animals on the same level as humans, if not above.  Cosmetic manufacturers, drug companies, etc. treated animals a whole lot worse.

Never used one myself, but I can remember when the "pod" was legal in MS.  The delivery system may still be legal...it was the poison (anectine) that became so hard to procure...became illegal to possess it without a prescription.

Even today broadhead manufacturers are working to make their product as lethal as possible.  That's all Mr. Bear was doing.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I have the Fred Bear series on video, and the book (Fred Bear's Field Notes).  Don't recall ever seeing one or hearing it mentioned--guess that's a good excuse to watch the videos and read the book again.  They go great together--the "made for TV" videos are much better when you get "the rest of the story" from the book.

Chad

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
The pod was never legal in Mississippi or anywhere else for that matter.  The drug that is used is regulated by the USFDA.  It can only be possessed by licensed physicians or veterinarians.  Anyone who was using pods or selling them was violating federal law.  The question is why did the state of Mississippi turn a blind eye to this and refuse to enforce federal drug laws?
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
And he used a sight on his bow once, heaven forbid!!!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I'm just going on what I was told by a game warden who, coincidentally, used pods.  Again, as I understand it the pod itself was never illegal, the poison was what was regulated.  This site agrees with what I was told.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7184455_poison-arrows-deer-hunting-mississippi.html

I didn't see anything one way or the other in the MS game regs.   www.mdwfp.com

This was back before people "harvested" animals like a potato or squash.  We killed them.  Still do.  The only place I know of where an animal can be "harvested" is where they are grown inside fences.  We use tractors and combines to harvest things.  Never seen John Deere or Massey Ferguson offer an attachment for whitetail.

Mr. Bear wasn't from MS.  I don't know if he ever even hunted in MS, much less lived here.  I've seen no evidence the state of MS turned a "blind eye" to anything.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
I went on a hunt at the Army Ammunition Depot in Chattanooga  that was a draw hunt and strictly regulated. We were searched as we went through processing center for matches, lighters, drugs and a host of other things that weren't allowed on the area.

A guy checked a deer in with a slight wound in its flank, a subsequent search turned up some hidden pods on his person, he was from Mississippi.

All his buddies were rounded up and all had pods in their possession.

I wonder if they are still in jail, probably not as this took place in the mid 70s.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
For the record, I'm talking about MS law and regulations.  I have no idea what the law is in other states.  Don't know of anyone who still uses the pod since the poison became illegal to possess.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
If Fred did use them, he sure didn't advertise it on the videos (I have the collection). I'd really hate to believe he did though....
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
I think he's given credit for inventing them.  Not that using poison arrows/darts is anything new, just the delivery system he developed.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
LBR as I remember you are correct that it was legal to use them in Mississippi. There were several stories about them at the time in the archery magazines.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Different time, different way of thinking. 50-60 yard shots weren't uncommon or looked down upon either. Fred was looking at it for a quick Humain kill. Can't fault him for that.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Bear Archery held patents on pod delivery systems.  Fred participated in several hunts in the southeast using pods.  In addition, it is rumored he used them on some of his Africa hunts.  I have seen photographs from one of his Africa safaris in which the pods can be clearly seen just beneath the broadheads.  If memory serves me correct there is a photocopy of a letter from Fred to Glenn St. Charles in Glenn's book in which Fred is touting the benefits of using pod arrows.  M. R. James also documented Fred's involvement and opinions regarding the use of pods in his book "Unforgettable Bowhunters."  Do a google search, it is all there.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I've yet to see any evidence where MS violated any federal laws.  

Again, as I was told (because I never used or even bought one), at one time the anectine could be purchased over the counter, as could a lot of drugs some 25+ years ago.  

I remember my dad medicating, even doing minor surgery, on hogs, cows, hunting dogs, etc. for himself and for neighbors.  

You could buy poison to control predators, tranquilizers to catch a skittish beagle, etc.  My dad bought penicillin by the pint and syringes to inject it with at the local feed store.  Wasn't considered to be a big deal at all. Nowadays you can't get a good insecticide thanks to the epa.

Don't be disappointed in Mr. Bear.  At the time, the pod was looked at under a different light than it is now.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
there isn't a person in the history of this world that hasn't made a mistake in their life...if there is I would like to meet him/her....Fred BEAR was an ambassador for the sport of archery and he has made it a great sport for us today....

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I wish someone would invent a time-machine so we could send someone back to straighten out these early, misguided pioneers of our sport. What were these guys thinking back then????

On another thought, I wonder if some of the things we do today will be thought of as unethical in the future?  Such as:  hunting from trees or blinds, hunting during rut, over food plots, using trail cameras, gps, etc.

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
I didn't mean for this post to become a discussion about what is ethical in one man's eyes or another, but I will say do you think Native Americans would have thought about poison on an arrow being ethical? Heck no. Also, they wouldn't still be shooting traditional if they were here! Ha. Of course, they were hunting to survive.  We can just close this thread if it needs to be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©