3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hauling a canoe behind an ATV  (Read 1288 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Hauling a canoe behind an ATV
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has any incite to how to haul a canoe behind an ATV.  I was thinking about getting some type of small axle that is around 40" long and get some type wheels(would love your suggestions) and hook the nose of the canoe to my back rack and take off.  I do understand that backing out may pose a problem, but I am just needing a way to haul the boat down long trail a few miles and then hop in the water and paddle to some very hard to reach spots.  

Some key points.

* as light as possible
* i would like it to be something I can just strap to the middle of the canoe where I could slide in on my actual atv trailer when going to a spot.  

I would just pull my ATV trailer behind my wheeler, but the trailer is far too large for that.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hauling a canoe behind an ATV
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
You can buy or make a dolly.  Google "canoe dolly" or "kayak dolly" and you'll see lots of options.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I used to own a canoe dolly. The canoe rested on it and it had two padded boards it nestled between and you strapped it down. The wheels came off with hitch pins for transportability and storage.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
do you think those would work well pulling it behind an ATV?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
Think wider the better.  The Hobie brand of Kayaks has multiple systems and the wide sand tires I think most versatile and stable. Check online and if handy you could come up with something to fit your needs...Also an old single jetski trailer  I have made to work.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
I met a kid that pulled his solo canoe all the way from southern Iowa to the Boundary Waters with 450  motorcycle.  He made a cradle yoke and used clamps screwed through the gunnels to keep that and the tongue in place, turning his canoe into a unibody trailer.  With the canoe upright, he was lucky that it did not fill with rain.  I think that a narrow gage john boat trailer with a set of T bars would be easier.  I have a converted boat trailer that is set up be able to haul four canoes and a load of canoe packs.  It has been to Canada and back many times.  I light weight used small gauge boat trailer does not way even half what mine does and and keep the canoe secure and also have room for a cargo area under it.
With the portage dolly wheels the canoe can take a beating, it will ride very close to the ground, they were designed to work at walking speed with hands on guidance with human power.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
do you think those would work well pulling it behind an ATV?
Off road and take it easy it should work. The one I had had only plastic wheels but I'm sure you could get one with pneumatic tires.

If you google "canoe dollies" you'll get a gazillion hits and ideas.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Now you starting to think sneaky!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
I used a game cart to haul our canoe during a hunting trip. I should say my son pulled the canoe with a bike. The trails where gated but bikes were allowed so we adapted. I needed to make brackets which I made of some wood and strapped the canoe down then attached the canoe to the seat post of the bike. Worked really good for me and my son did OK pulling it. It opened up allot more area for the hunt. With an ATV this would not have been a problem.
Abe

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Here is a picture of my son pulling the canoe.
Abe

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
How about building a rack so you can carry on top over your head?

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Daniel, a company in Shreveport used to make a trailer designed to be pulled behind a 4 wheeler.  They made and sold Pirogues and the trailer was designed to pull them behind the quad. It had soft balloon tires like use to come on the early three wheelers, and a narrow body made from expanded metal with the front and rear end sections could let down. The
Trailer tongue was made from square tubing and slid inside a larger piece of tubing to adjust the length. You could pull a 12 ft. Pirogue even though the trailer was only 5 ft. Long.
  Had one for years, worked great for what you want.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Lots of options are available, but you need to assess how much stress you are gonna give the system.  

I have an old golf (bag) cart that I modified to go under my kayak, that would work if it is strapped in place and you take it easy.  

Zooming anywhere, especially with rough terrain, and you will soon be dragging a boat with no wheels.

ChuckC

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
Or you could do like us old canoeists do, portage it.  I go on portage trails that are a mile long every year, 300 yards is a short one on some trips and I usually have a forty pound Duluth number three on my back at the same time..

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
i have uesd a product called ctug it is a little foldable cart and works a treat getting my kayak to and frm the water   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Cari-bows pic looks like the trick....something wide with bicycle wheels.  I actually use a padded furniture mover's type dolly, but I only have to pull my 100 yds. or so around a paved portage.  I'd definitely want a wider wheelbase for towing with an ATV.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©