3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Gang Hunt at Wild Things  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gang Hunt at Wild Things
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
More later...

Although not the exact area, this is what the area looked like where I was stalking these hogs. Open swamp with little to hide me, except living trees, deadfall, some cypress stumps from logging days of old, and the dips in the terrain with some occasional low grass patches.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I caught up with the bunch. With five sets of eyes ever watchful I had a devil of a time moving. They rooted at a pace quicker than I could keep up. I got to within 25 yards this time and they decided to move on across the open swamp floor into the wind about 30 yards away.

Bud - 0 Hogs - 2

I followed, moving only when they were facing away or were behind deadfall. I got to within 20ish yards, but wanted to get closer. I am comfortable shooting at 15. I had maneuvered towards a stump and got to within 10 feet of it, but wanted to move up to the stump. This would give me a shot of about 18 yards. As I inched forward I think the larger boar saw my chartreuse fletched arrows in my back quiver. He immediately stopped rooting and stared my way. He let out a short grunt and off they went.

Bud - 0 Hogs - 3

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 04:11:00 AM »
I'd love to try hog hunting one of these days!
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
So I set up in a stand that was near to one of the dirt roads on the property.

The deer and hogs usually come to this stand from behind the right shoulder. There was a ton of sign at this stand because there was a corn feeder within about 17 yards. The road was at my left and the wind was blowing from me toward the road -- perfect.

The feeder goes off at 5:30 PM and less than a minute later a buck comes galloping acrid the road -- he had heard the dinner bell.

But - He hit my scent stream when he was halfway across the road and it was like he hit an invisible wall. He turned inside out and put on the afterburners and went back the direction he came from in a cloud of road dust. Bucks never doubt their noses.

Deer - 2 -- Joe -0

I stayed at the stand until full darkness and saw nothing else.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Congrats Todd,

Joe and the rest of the guys, this is good, keep it up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
The five disappeared and I followed in their direction. I lost sight of them, but with the terrain and low areas, the had gone into a swag in the landscape and I eventually got back into stalk mode.

By this time the boar was trailing, seemingly "keeping rear guard" and rooting whilst doing it. I watch him lift a log with his nose and the weight on each end of the rotted downed tree broke under its own weight. A loud pop echoed in the swamp. A noteworthy sound to head, should you ever hear it again. He raised the 10 foot or so log looking for grubs like it was a twig. I eased closer, with the boar closest to me. I tried again to get within my range, but only managed to get about 25 yards away, yet again. Something caused them to bolt once more. Maybe a breaking stick underfoot, or my movement caught by their watchful eye. A low grunt from the boar sent them off.

Bud - 0 Hogs - 4

And yet again they ran 30ish or so yards. This time they got into some grassy growth about knee high. The terrain still low in spots allowed them to be unseen, but also allowed the same for me. I got to about 30 yards from them, with the boar still at rear guard. He managed to root to a spot between two trees, yet his vitals were in the gap between the two, much like a 3D target setup I've seen at my home club. I removed my binoculars and my back quiver and crawled on hands and knees to a spot about 20 yards away from him. One of the smaller hogs saw me move and locked in on my figure. I froze. What seemed like several minutes we stared at each other. It eventually lost interest and got back to finding breakfast.

I started moving again, with the boar evidently in a nice rooting spot, because he stay put in the same spot for some time. I crept closer to get the shot I wanted when suddenly a doe I had not seen, some 50 yards away, let out a loud blow and alerted the whole area. All the hogs froze and stated in her direction. She was,, by then tearing away through the swamp blowing as she ran. She crashed out of sight and then all the nearby squirrels started barking alarms. I refocused on the hogs and they had had enough. They all bolted in a mad dash, faster then the previous runs, and were 60 yards away before they disappeared. I heard them continue well past their normal 30 yard sprint. They were in for the long haul escape this time.

I was sweating quite hard. sweat running down my face and under my clothes. I noticed my heartbeat was excessive, and was the whole time. I suddenly felt a draining feeling of exhaustion set in. The adrenaline dump had taken it's toll. I was crashing, but it was a good feeling nonetheless.

Bud - 0  Hogs - 5

A doe had given me the opportunity to stalk these hogs, and a doe took them away.

Even with no shot, this was the first true stalk I had been on in many years. I felt like it was a success. I was happy.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
Total lapsed time from first sight to last sight was about 1 hour and 20 minutes. No wonder I was drained. The next day my legs muscles told me of the workout I had experienced. It was a good kind of sore.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Going to start loading pics tomorrow...and my Stampede vid....been crazy since I got back.

Stay Tuned.....more to come....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Looking forward to video ....MAN I WANNA HUNT HOGS!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Trad bowhunting stories    :campfire:
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Very cool guys, thanks for sharing.   :archer:
shoot straight shoot often

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I am still working on some stuff n Todd still has more to share! !

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Man! I wish I could have made it this year, and I'm really curious about this "stampede".

I just booked for the December 15th hunt, I can't resist the temptation any longer!

Now I just have to decide if I want upgrade my license to hunt deer too... Kinda sounds like I should, what do you guys think?
Thom

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Thom,
I think that Andrew's land is becoming a great deer hunting place. The way he is managing the property is leading to more sightings of better deer. In December the deer will be more interested in food than chasing, so patterning might be a bit easier. Get the license!

Unfortunately, I have to travel on business the week of the 15th or I would be coming down to hunt with you.

I didn't shoot any hogs on the October trip, but I spent a lot of time developing and testing a strategy that I think may get me a shot at one of those wide-body boss hogs at the north end of the property on my next trip. I have a plan!
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
We saw tons of deer I don't even remember how many but I had seven and bow range I can tell you that and that was stalking hogs

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
I saw 16...missed a nice wall hanger, too. (With Andrew's blessing to try  ;)  )

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys, sounds like it will be worth $100 to not have to pass if a shot presents itself. I will get it. I've been really close to shooting my first spot-and-stalk deer there a few times now. The last one was a really tall symmetrical six point in 2014. That would have been a special one for me, but at least I still get to enjoy chasing that dream. Andrew didn't put a point limit on me, he just said I had to commit to at least a shoulder mount if I were to draw on a buck.

Joe, I've pretty much stopped talking about them really big hogs publicly. Guys either see them or they don't, and if you don't see them you just have no idea how "big" is "big".  I'm glad you have a plan, and I am pulling for you getting him!!! I'm still working on one old dude that holes up not too far from camp. There is also a matriarchal black sow with a white face that runs a big multi-generational pack that has busted me on at least 4 occasions. I'd really like to get the better of her someday. It's funny for all the hogs you can't tell apart, there are the few you get to know really well.

Man, I better stop thinking about hogs or I will lose this whole day to daydreaming, scheming, and sharpening broadheads.... Again!

Still looking forward to another installment from Todd and knowing what this Stampede is about!
Thom

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Thom,....loading Stampede....let me know when you are coming down and if there is an opening.

I would love to share a camp with you again.

Joe....that goes for you too.

Thanks.

T

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Alvin and I were stalking a 'doe'...or button buck...in the direction we were stalking hogs in anyway, and the stalk on the deer lasted at least 20 minutes...

It drew us in the direction we wanted to go, but a little left.....so we regathered after the party was over with the whitetail finaly and we came upon the woods road we were looking for but only there was a kink in the road, a split I'd not seen before....it was a re-route.

Seems the old road had been washed away in two places and Andrew and Charlie had decided to make a new road around the disaster....and what a disaster it soon became.

Now this stretch of road left untraveled by vehicles had oak trees on either side of it....and even though it had not rained much there in ages, what little rain that did come before we arrived caused them to have a 'block party' in the abandoned road.  

Here are some pics.....but you have to see the vid that's still loading to get the full effect of just how much devastation was done and over what size area....

Tracks beside tracks, tracks on top of tracks....like the inside of a barn....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©