3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Put it on my tab!  (Read 1045 times)

Online mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Put it on my tab!
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
Made a good shot on nice buck about 7PM Thursday night.  Gave him 45m to an hour.  No blood at the scene or where the arrow broke.  Arrow broke off about 4-6" from the point.  Clean as whistle but sitting in water.  The arrow looked consistent with a shoulder hit but there was no blood or hair at the sight and I was still confident in the hit I saw.

Looked on hands and knees real hard and could find no blood, hair, or tracks along the path I watch him exit.  Still positive of the good hit but confused at the lack of sign at the shot location.

After a few hours of tracking, I start really focusing on where I last saw him leave the creek bed.  Pulled out my compass and started working that direction carefully.  A tip I learned first here on Trad Gang from Roger Norris via Ron LaClair.  The travel direction was also into the wind and he smelled to high heaven like a rutting buck so I thought I might get a wiff.  Did this for a long time and I finally stumbled on some blood while checking a runway.  Once I found blood, it was a good trail and he was piled up right there.  Found him about 10PM.

Hit was just like I thought.   I think I got the stuff above the heart.  Pretty much where I'd like to hit every one.  Leave the pump, take out the plumbing.   He went about 70 yards before I found blood.  Only another 30 after that.  I was real close to calling it a night and working on a plan to do a body search in the daylight.  Discussing the situation with Steve-O, we agreed the shoulder muscles may have blocked the entrance hole to delay blood loss.

Love to hear other's thoughts on the nature of the blood trail.  I'm sure this has happened to others throughout the years.  I tend to go overboard writing about blood trail details but I've learned so much from these forums on the subject that I think it is very important for we as bowhunters to share information and recover every animal possible.  I'm afraid this is the type of deer that would not be recovered with out some knowledge and persistence.

Got this trailcam pic right before the shot.  Just a few steps from a “Whip”:

My best buck yet.:

This is the first time I've used a finger tab for hunting.  I tried it a few days ago and it seem to fix an apparent torquing of the string habit I had somehow developed.  Black Widow 3 under tab.

Tall Tines 60# @28".  Easton 400 FMJ.  145gr Grizzly broad head with 100gr steel adapter.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Put it on my tab!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
GREAT BUCK...what a stud. Your persistence paid off!!! Beauty of a deer and shot
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Beautiful buck!

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Wow. Great buck!  Congrats!
Tab convert!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
That is a real beauty, well done.   :thumbsup:    Black Widow 3 under tab is my favorite.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Can you tell us about the head you used, the bow weight and about penetration.  Seems like you should have had at least a light blood trail from that shot placement.  By the way that is a beautiful buck, congratulations and great tracking.
habujohn

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Great buck and great work on finding him!

Sounds like you got a solid impact on the offside shoulder joint, so he quickly broke off the projecting shaft then  bled internally from the severed aorta  but no exit hole for the blood to drain out. If you don't get a lung, blood wont back up and out the higher entrance wound until the chest cavity fills up. Happens  when shooting from an elevated stand into a deer quartering or turning away slightly.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
Stud of a buck congrats
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
It happens.  My bud Ron Thomas shot one several years ago in a foot of snow.  Not one drop of blood from the double lung.  Not 1!!  He showed me pics of the trail.  Nothing.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
great buck congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Great job that's a big Michigan buck there
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I'd say Mangonboat is right on the money. I was 15' up and it was only a 10 yard shot. I could find no damage to the heart or lungs themselves on field dressing. I will aim a little further back on that angle next time. I believe the arrow broke very quickly. I had to use pliers to pull it from the shoulder.

John, it was a very sharp Grizzly single-bevel. 250gr total with the 100gr insert.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Nice deer.  I too recently switched to a tab after years of glove use and it's made my release much more clean and consistent.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Beautiful buck.. Congrats..
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Congrats to you! What a buck and way to be persistent on the tracking job!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Nice deer and good job not giving up! You are correct that blood trailing is one of the most important things we can know how to do well.  :thumbsup:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Beautiful buck mick!! Way to stick with the track job and remembering your shot placement
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Great Job working out that like of blood trail.
Congrats!   :thumbsup:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine buck! That bow looks familiar  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©