3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rainy day buck....  (Read 1391 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Rainy day buck....
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I headed out to one of my hunting spots late Thursday night knowing the rain was on its way. And rain it did I think we have got about 13 inches so far but we sure needed it. Friday saw a bunch of deer a Fox and skunk and an armadillo. Woke up Saturday morn with rain pounding the roof and a small river that wasn't there the day before running out front of the cabin. So after some coffee and a bite to eat it was showing no signs of letting up so back in bed ( I think we got up around noon ) I haven't slept that good in a long time. The sound of the storm and nice and cool out just put me out. Well the rain never quit so we hunted in rain gear and covered our feathers the best we could. That afternoon I saw many deer and several good bucks and almost took a shot at a 10pt buck but held off for some reason. I guess the reason was last week I saw two bucks while on stand one afternoon that really had me going but gun season is about to start so you never know if you will ever see them again. We have lot's of hunting pressure around us and when the guns start going off these deer head for parts unknown. But with one buck down already this season I figured I'd hold out for a bit longer. I almost headed home because I have to head to work the next night but what the heck with deer steaks on the grill I'll stay and hunt the morning then head home. Sunday morning it was still raining and again out in the rain I go but at least it is now a light rain...
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rainy day buck....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
:campfire: here we go again!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
Why do I have a feeling that there is a big Texas whitetail at the end of this story?   :campfire:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
You guys are sure getting hammered on rain down there this year. I'd say you can't be bitching about drought conditions anymore.....

Rain hunting is kinda cool after ya get used to it. You can't have better stalking conditions. I've walked right up on many deer and elk in the rain. If we stayed home every time it rained in oregon, we'd never get any hunting or fishing in...

Wet feathers are a drag though... (Pun intended) I've tried all sorts of stuff they say works, but doesn't help much at all until this year. A buddy of mine down in Texas told me about using auto electric spray silicone, so i tried it...

Wow!  this stuff works very well. The trick is spraying your feathers real well and let them dry 24 hours before touching them. I sprayed the whole shafts with it, broadheads and all..... Even in the pouring rain these feathers didn't lay down. The slickness of the shaft should get better penetration, and no rust on broadheads after a week of being wet.... This is good stuff!  give it a try bro...

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Ok last week I was sitting on a fence crossing stand that my buddy had put up several weeks ago. While on stand that afternoon I saw 18 different whitetail bucks and many doe. Out of those 18 two were standouts in my book one was a freak horn deer with long brow tines and I sure liked him. I told my buddy about him and sure enough we had one trail cam pic of him in velvet that was from a few months ago. Other than that we had never laid eyes on him but I sure saw him that day , keep in mind my idea of a good buck is if you like him put an arrow in him. We don't have monster bucks like on tv on the places I hunt. Like I always say just a nice hill country central Texas buck and I'm happy for everyone of them I kill. The other was a wide heavy buck I think he was a 10pt , these deer travel across a big open field heading to the woods then into a hay field to feed then back in the morning. They cross and go up the hill to a bedding area then back down in the afternoon everyday trick is being at the right place to catch one. So with a light rain still falling I settled into a groundblind an hour before light this morning up on the hill. About 45 minutes after daylight with several deer milling around a big red hog comes running in and gives me a 12yd shot but for fear of ruining my deer hunt I let him walk. And that's not like me cause I like to shoot but it paid off cause a few minutes later here comes ol freak horn up the trail.....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Tick tock tick tock
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
I am tuned in!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Ok I have a cool 8pt and a few doe around and then this big ol freak horn dude starts up the trail killing every cedar tree he walks around. I can see him a good ways off and he is putting on a show for all to see. It was a sight him all wet and ears back standing his hair on end , when he would thrash a cedar a big shower of water would fly everywhere. And as luck would have it he kept to the trail and ended up broadside at about 16 yards or so. I hit anchor and held burning a hole in him and as luck would have it again my arrow hit the spot. When it hit it knocked him off his feet in the mud and when he got up he only made it about 25 yards and was done. Up until now I was pretty calm then it hit me and the shakes started and lasted until I put my hands on him. Have I ever said I love hunting with my bow and arrows , he is a cool buck and I'm proud to have him. And sorry before hand I took many pictures of him from all angles cause he is just cool in my book......
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
And we are to expect those pictures soon, right?

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Here are a few pics for now about to go out for dinner with the family before I head to work...

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Sorry I had like 50 pics to download....

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
That's the real deal there; not one of those modified Texas deer, but a real, wild natural whitetail. Lots of character on that rack. Good one!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Fantastic!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
Congrats to you.  That is a neat deer!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Sweet buck Sam!  This year you are putting some serious animals down.  What a season!!!  

I agree - that's a super cool buck!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Congrats to you! Great buck!

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Congrats Sam. As usual you always find a way to get it done. Nice buck, and thanks for the story.

Tony

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Yes, he is a cool, freak horn. Congrats on another goodun!

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
He's a fine one congrats.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©