3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a book?  (Read 445 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone recommend a book?
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm wondering if the group can recommend a "how to shoot a longbow book" for me to read.  I have shot a recurve most my shooting life.  I recently purchased a longbow that is getting a face lift.  I shot this bow once or twice before sending it off.  I am feeling like I should do it and it's maker justice by learning to shoot it properly.  Thought I would get a head start so I can be somewhat ready when the bow comes home.

I saw Mr. Sorrels book on 3 Rivers but was wondering if there maybe is another I should look for.  Thanks in advance.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone recommend a book?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I am more interested in shooting for hunting over competition if that makes a difference.  And the bow is a Fred Anderson, skookum for reference as to the style of bow.  Oh yeah, she's a beauty too...

-Jeremy

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Save yourself a couple $ and use the search feature here on Tradgang.  If you don't mind spending the $, then it sounds like you already have a good choice picked out.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip Mike, will be sure to do that.  Tuesday and Wednesday look like rain for me.  Sounds like a good day to sip some coffee and read...

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
The grips can be a little different, but there's really little difference in shooting between a recurve and longbow.  I've shot both, and self-bows, for the past 50 years. Recurves usually have a little more mass and feel a little softer on the draw and perhaps have somewhat less hand shock than longbows, but after all, they're each just a stick and a string.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Very true Orion.  I would say though that in my experience I've always shot recurves better.  Why would that be?  I must be missing something, or trying to shoot my longbows like a recurve.

This new longbow is a straight grip, nothing fancy about.  It's also deep.  Now my recurve is like a pistol grip, can't put my hand on it any other way.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

But man, is it quiet!  What a difference.  I've gotten my recurve pretty quiet but there's a noticeable difference for sure.

I don't know, it's a stick and string, yes.  But, it's also an apple and orange.  Both are a little different...

-Jeremy   :coffee:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
Several books come to mind. You may not like how one author does it, but take a bit from one, another bit from another, and adapt to your particular style.
The second and third Asbell books have chapters that are specific to longbows, and how they differ from recurves. Byron Ferguson's Become the Arrow will give another perspective.  Craig Ekin's book, Howard Hill, the Man and the Legend has a bit of Howard's shooting technique.
As stated, there is a wealth of information right here on TG. The Howard Hill thread is huge, but hidden in there are some good tips on shooting the longbow.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline troubldstranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Just read B. Ferguson's Become the arrow.  It helped me quite a bit, but I haven't read another to be able to compare.  I recommend it!  Alot about hunting in it too.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
J. Holden,

this  is not exactly what you're looking for, but I shoot them how ever I can and as consistent as I can.  Getting a new bow is kind of like courting a woman.  You have to take your time, do your part to learn what she liked, practice SHOOTING ARROWS a lot, and you will have a good relationship.  I don't find hunting and competitions that different.  I do think that competitions make me practice proper form, and hunting, I just forget to do it. lol.  

good luck!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
It's not a book, but the best instruction I know of shy of a personal coach is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III".  Both of the main players are world champion longbow shooters and accomplished hunters.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I am reading Dr. Ashby's book "Now". It is not a book on shooting but on hunting and so far I have found it entertaining and informational. I have already order me some natural tree gum rubber to try and improve my moc's for "pussy footing".

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  I may have to wait on the HH thread here for a day when it's too cold to go ice fishing

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
MBB I and II are (in my opinion) entertaining and show a little bit of a lot of different styles, but III has what you are looking for.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©