3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dadgum Dogs ( NOW IM PISSED!! )  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dadgum Dogs ( NOW IM PISSED!! )
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Been waiting all weekend for the rain to stop so I could go hunt. I've got a decent 8 point, a good 9, and several small bucks and does on camera several times last week. So I was excited to get out there after 2 solid days of rain. It finally let up to a light drizzle so I headed out to the only ground blind that I have set up. Got in way early and had a good cross wind. About a hour and half before dark I look up and see a pack of 5 dogs coming down the trail. When they get to the edged of my plot they sniff around about 15 yrds in front of me. When they leave 2 males decide to mark "their" territory about 35 yrds straight in front of me. I thought about walking to the back of the property to a ladder stand to finish the evening but the wind would have been not so good and It kept going between a light rain and a light drizzle. So I opted to stay and hope for the best. With about 15 min of good light left I hear a deer blow about 50 yrds down wind of where the 2 dogs marked "their" territory. Never saw it so don't know what it was but it would have been the only oppertunity I've had so far.
I guess I'm just venting. I don't know who's they are and I really don't have many options on how to deal with them. Any one have any ideas?
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dadgum Dogs ( NOW IM PISSED!! )
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I had 2 giant Bull Mastiffs about 180-200# apiece walk in on me the other morning sniffing a deer trail, yelled at them to get their posteriors home and they started barking and growling at me but left.. I hate when people let their dogs run loose on other peoples property...
 If they do it during gun season they are not likely to go home my neighbors will shoot them.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Choot 'em.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
I had a big white dog freak me out one night walking back in the dark. He came running at me growling and barking. I didn't have anything but my bow. I yelled at him and he ran off, but so much for sneaking out of the woods undetected. Seen them from the stand several times, and it's irritating. But then again, maybe they will push some deer off the neighbors property over to me. You never know....
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
a nice rubber blunt to the posterior might do the job- the dogs posterior that is   :D

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Paint ball gun. I "trained" my neighbor's dog with it. He never came into the woods but did venture into my 5-acre yard and scared the grandchildren. Now he hides under his porch when he sees me coming on my bicycle.

He's lucky the paintball gun worked. Bothering the grandchildren is a whole lot more serious than bothering me.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Guy down the road brought home two beagles, turned them loose and they ran the woods where I hunt for about a month. Every step I took they trailed it and up to me in tree every time I would hunt.

I'd run them off when I caught them following me, but they would just wait about an hr and trail me. I've got pictures of them on every trail cam day and night. One series with a Coydog, black coyote or wild dog on their trail..but they made it somehow.

Ruined the hunting where I was so I quit for about two wks..I didn't want to hunt my prime areas further back in due to them trailing me in and ruining those too...Luckily, meantime the whole clan, beagles and all moved.

But so did the deer..and haven't gotten back in daylight mode yet. I was walking 1/2 mile to hunt now I'm having to walk over a mile to get into game.

There's one or two..my eyes are bad..beagles sitting in the scrape. I've got pictures of a lot of bucks and does on that scrape..killed a doe and had a shot a buck this yr sitting on this scrape..before beagles. Haven't seen anything sense.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
a nice rubber blunt to the posterior might do the job- the dogs posterior that is    :D  
LoL!!!
My cousin has a recipe for a nice antifreeze biscuit!! Just kidding!  But really puts a damper on your hunting. This is a small pine plantation and the deer just move thru. No reason for them to stay. So I've worked hard all summer with small food plots, brush hogging, cutting trails, ect...
Only to have my hunt ruined by a bunch of free ranging mutts!!
Really frustrating!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Check with your local G&F in WY dogs running livestock and or game is against the law. It carries a hefty fine (not to mention a dead dog or two). If you know the owners of the dogs and have the proof maybe a fine or two will get the owners of the dogs to do what is right and keep there dogs on their property.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Skinner:
Check with your local G&F in WY dogs running livestock and or game is against the law. It carries a hefty fine (not to mention a dead dog or two). If you know the owners of the dogs and have the proof maybe a fine or two will get the owners of the dogs to do what is right and keep there dogs on their property.
Yep. My beagle would be a deer chasing fool if I didn't keep him in check. Dogs will do what dogs will do, but the owners are responsible, and should be held accountable if at all possible.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I would be shocked if IL doesn't have a leash law. Looks like you have proof and the owner should have an opportunity to tie them up and then animal control is next option.  

I've had permission in the past and even encouragement from my landowner to discourage dogs on his farm when I'm hunting.
I provided very persuasive discouragement to three, on separate occasions in the early 1980's.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I had a talk or two with the guy and at first he did try to keep them on a leash, then a cable. I'd see them with short pieces of the leashes and cables dragging from their necks.

Went in before daylight one morning and heard some whining way back in the woods. I knew it wasn't my dog he was inside and it really didn't sound like a beagle so didn't check it and went on and climbed a tree and hunted.

On my way out I hear the whining again and walk back in there. The littlest one is tangled around everything..would have never got loose and the other one is sitting next to it on guard I guess it'd been there all night. The whole cable and a pc of rubber tie down were tangled.

I could have left things alone, but love dogs too much. After that he got rid of one and left the other off the cable completely until I told him I had been locking the dog in my shed the night before and until I got back from hunting (it stayed around my house all the time when not on the cable) ..and he put it back on the cable and then moved.

This was no joke to me..dogs can ruin your whole season. Even when I'd let the dog out of shed it would still get on my tracks and go where I'd been that morning. Got pictures of it sniffing a tree one hr after I'd put a stand in it.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I hunted a friend's lease recently and this white dog was everywhere...wouldn't even move off if you charged at it...

Shame!  Makes you think bad thoughts, but truth is the culprit is for sure the lax owners who have no respect for others property or it's intended use. As stated above, the dog(s) are just being dogs.  This guy pays a lease fee to hunt, but the dog runs the deer.

When I was a kid in PA, there was, in the "rule book", a paragraph stating "...if a dog comes thru the woods or field trailing or running a deer, it was legal to shoot it!"  No lie!   :eek:    

That has long since been removed, but one can see it was perceived, in years bygone, as a problem.  Now, everyone wants to be free to do what they want...

Wonder if that pertains to US as well???
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Here's what happens where we hunt ; coon hunting or running coyote hounds at night ; squirrel hunting with cur dogs in the morning ; set in tree in afternoon shoot deer . Been that way for years ; deer just don't seem to pay any attention to the dogs at all .

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by FAV 52:
Here's what happens where we hunt ; coon hunting or running coyote hounds at night ; squirrel hunting with cur dogs in the morning ; set in tree in afternoon shoot deer . Been that way for years ; deer just don't seem to pay any attention to the dogs at all .
They do when the dogs are hanging around under the tree you're hunting out of and every now and then looping around in big circles only to come back and sit in a scrape, etc.

When dogs are in the same areas day and night the deer move out.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by FAV 52:
I know living in coastal VA for several years, people were cultured to hunt WITH dogs for deer... dogs did the driving.  Where dogs are used to do a variety of hunting in the same woods, deer become "accustomed" I'd guess to whatever is there, like they do to horse riders in more populated areas back North east.

Mobile society can create clashes of cultural norms like are formed with ways to hunt.

I suspect where FAV52 is, that deer are more habituated to dogs, and what he says is as true as those who find new dog incursions to be disruptive to deer sightings...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Legal action against the owner may be possible, and hitting him in the wallet may be more effective than hitting him in the nose... just not as satisfying.  It is not really the dog's fault; however if one becomes aggressive, the whole ball game changes. That is one reason I carry my Glock every time I go in the woods.
Sam

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
well, unless I know who's dog it is it looks like a bona fide family pet I go by the old rule: SSS- shoot, shovel, shut-up.don't ever go to them first though! people live out in the country and think they can have their dogs run all over everybody else's property. Not so

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
...one of my siblings was mauled by a neighbor's dog and we have had countless livestock lost over the years two dogs that should have been kept up.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I have the same problems with a neighbor that has six dogs. I have cattle and have told him that I have seen them chasing and the only answer I get is a lie that he will keep them up. I guess my best choice is to charge him $1200 for my next dead calf and maybe that will change things.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©