3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javaman Elkheart  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
Javaman Elkheart
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Man are these bows hard to find or what? I'm looking all over for a used one and they aren't to be found, they must be good! Some of you guys that have shot them can you give me some insight on them? I mainly shoot centaur or kanati but the Elkheart has really caught my eye. Thanks

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javaman Elkheart
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Yea.......... I got one, 57 @ 28 and no it's not for sale, ever! I've got 8 other great bows, they are all lonely and covered with dust.  The Elk Heart has become a very close friend.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
I had one, loved every thing about that bow, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get that bow quiet. Someone mentioned later that it had carbon in the limbs on the elkheart, I've had several carbon bows and didn't like the sound on any of them so that very well could have been it.

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
Iv got one and love it its the only bow i have that ticks all the boxes and i dont think i could ever sell it iv owned a centura and kanti thunder children and shrews and a few other similar bows but this is the one i keep coming back to
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:56:00 AM »
I really like the centaur i have, i had an elkheart for a short time and traded for a Whippenstick Phoenix, which i couldnt pass up. But i will have another, and it will be a two piece! I mainly shoot my recurves, but i like to have one longbow and to me the two piece elkhart would be the one.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »
The Elkheart is a great bow! The standard core lamination is not carbon, its uni-weft glass. Gregg might offer a carbon core, but you'd have to ask him. Mine is the standard uni-weft, and while it's not the quietest LB I've heard, it's certainly not the loudest. I shot over the back of a walking 8pt last year with multiple other deer around, one doe was only about 10yds from my stand, and NONE of the deer reacted to the shot! The buck never broke stride, and only looked towards the arrow that hit the dirt beyond him.

Mine is a 54", 51#@28", that I draw about 27.5". I find the bow to be well mannered, pointable, smooth drawing, and respectably quick and quiet. The grip is good and repeatable. Greggs craftsmanship and fit and finish is among the very best in the business. I think you will be very pleased with an Elkheart, especially if you are accostomed to shooting this style of bow.

If I were to get another one, I would go with a 56" and two piece for the added mass weight. While my 54" certainly does not stack at my DL, the string angle is a frog hair more than I'd like. I wouldn't call it unpleasant by any means, but noticeable.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far. That's all I've heard are good things about these bows. I draw 27.5 and I think if I had my choice it would be the 56" Elkheart. I'd like to get the 2 piece, any of you guys have it and if so do you like it?

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Yep I pretty much love my elkheart.  I wouldnt trade it or sell it.

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Love mine. 56" and 53@28. Smooth, fast, and hits where I am looking. The connection system is flawless. Gregg does unbelievable work and is a great guy to deal with.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
I have a 54", 50# @ 28" 2 pc bow bolt t/d.
I draw 28" and this bow shoots great for me. I love it and have no intention of getting something different.
 It is quiet, stable and plenty fast for me.
Just an all around great bow.    :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
KSCATTRPR, awesome bow! That's exactly what I want

Online meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
If you can sneak away to Kzoo this coming January, Most likely Gregg will be there.  But you better bring your checkbook cause once you try and shoot one, you'll be walking out with one.  Also, Gregg is a heck of nice guy to talk to (as are all the bowyers there.  You'd have a blast.

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I don't own one yet, but my position on the waiting list must be getting up there pretty high.

I shot a friend's that had 2 strikes against it - it was 5 - 6 # over my comfort level and was right handed (I'm a lefty). I made the only really perfect shot of my day on a 3 day course with it. It does NOT shoot like a short bow. I tried the Elkheart and the Helms Deep recurve both at K'zoo last year. I shot both well even though they were again over my comfort level. Both were 54". I ordered the Helms Deep, but am considering calling Greg and changing my order to the Elkheart. I already have some sweet recurves and a takedown Elkheart would be a quiver stuffer for me and I already know I can shoot it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
If I don't locate one by kzoo I'll probably make the long drive there

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Just got on the list for an Elkheart. I've been losing sleep over the specs of what I should order.   Planning on a 56" 56@28" brown stained birch with maybe some claro walnut for a riser.  Long wait 15 months or so.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Actually just got a text from Gregg a couple of days ago and  he's ready to build mine. Planned on going with a 58" Elkheart but at the last minute decided to go with a Bowbolt 56" Helms Deep, 50@30. Have a Coffey built 56" Bowbolt Lil Favorite that's been very good to me over the last couple years, unbelievable little bow. Been about a 12 month wait for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Yeah I'm going to text Gregg and get on the list but I'm still going to do everything I can to find one for now

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I have both the falcon and a bowbolt elkheart. Elkheart is quicker and almost as quite but love both of them!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
I've been on the waiting list for a 56", 2pc Elkheart. As soon as I get mine, I'll be sure to give the Gang my feedback. Should only be a couple months now...

I'm looking at something similar to this for veneers.

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
I'm on the list for a carbon-limb Elkheart...
Gregg is (without a doubt) the most responsive bowyer I've dealt with and I can not wait to own and enjoy one of his masterpieces!!!
Great guy...
Randy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©