3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thought on very cold weather boots (below 20)  (Read 827 times)

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought on very cold weather boots (below 20)
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I have been wearing 2000 gram insulated Lacrosse rubber boots for a few years and they are ok to the high 30's, but below that I have trouble staying in stand.

I hunt no matter the temps, and am looking for any help from guys who have found solutions in better boots..

I saw the company Baffin, and they look like a good option. Any thoughts are appreciated, man I hate when my feet freeze. Thanks
Tyler C. Moore

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thought on very cold weather boots (below 20)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Muck Artic Pros are very warm just make sure to use  boot dryer every time you wear them.. most comfortable cold weather boot Ive ever worn..
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
Surplus Mickey Mouse boots and one pair of heavy wool socks. If they don't do it, find some surplus bunny boots. They are the warmest you will find.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
If you are just stand hunting, you can wear your normal boots in and slip on some insulated overboots over those. They work great.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
We work in Baffin Ice Bears here when it is minus 40...I also work in mine in the spring when it is plus 30 Celsius...there is not a more versatile boot made...the ones we wear for work have a steel toe insert...I think you can buy them without that which would make them lighter and less expensive

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Cold feet are always a problem with me, but using the surplus Mickey Mouse boots (as suggested above) has helped.  If really cold, I pack a pair of Artic Shield covers.
Lon Scott

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Surplus Mickey Mouse boots and one pair of heavy wool socks. If they don't do it, find some surplus bunny boots. They are the warmest you will find.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Steger Camucks
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
you need to wear boots one size bigger for frigid temps then wear nice thick wool socks.

for seriously cold temps and stand hunting only I wear Baffins, they are from Canada and made for ice fisherman and rated to 100 below.  they feel like walking with pillows on your feet but they work perfect for standing in 3' of snow in -15 wind chills.

from 30 to about 10 I wear Baffin again but these are like the sorel snow mobile boots, wool socks.   tight boots mean cold toes, loose boots mean warm air around your toes.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
Nothing better than Lacrosse Iceman in my experience, even better than the surplus mickeys.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
I noticed that one guy on one of the Mountain Men Shows that I take seriously..he flies his own plane in Alaska and runs a serious trapline. He wears Micky Mouse Boots and you know he puts some time in serious snow.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Trick with sitting in a stand is to keep blood flowing to the extremities...this can be done with Isometric contractions. The biggest muscles in your body are your thighs, get them working and the blood will keep circulating. When on the stand in a seated position, just raise your legs up so that your feet lift off the floor about an inch and hold that position for a while. This gets your muscles worked up, meaning heated up...then put your feet back down and wiggle your toes for a while.

If you do this for 15 minutes, your feet will be warm for a while. You can tense up your core muscles off & on too. All this muscle contraction creates heat, but at the same time doesn't make any noticeable motion. (same motions will keep you awake in church, catholic weddings, operas or any other activity that you find yourself sitting for extended periods       :thumbsup:  )  

The only thing I wear all winter here in WI is uninsulated hiking boots or uninsulated LaCrosse knee boots. One good pair of wool socks, and if it's cold (for me that's 15°F or less) and I'm sitting, I'll pull out the Arctic Shield boot insulators. These are one size bigger than the packaging says, and they have plenty of room to put a hot hands in there if it gets to -10°F or so. (above that, and my feet will sweat in the insulators with a hot pad in them; wet feet = colder feet!!!)

For you, if its 30's and you are wearing 2000gr insulation, maybe your feet are sweating way to much on the walk in and that's why they are cold all day. Try uninsulated boots once, and put the boot insulators on when you are in the stand.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Exactly what I do and they work great.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
I noticed that one guy on one of the Mountain Men Shows that I take seriously..he flies his own plane in Alaska and runs a serious trapline. He wears Micky Mouse Boots and you know he puts some time in serious snow.
Actually, he wears the white "bunny boots" rather than the mickeys. The white ones are the arctic version...even warmer than the black mickeys. I haven't found any of them locally, but my mickeys came from my local Mill's Fleet Farm. Mine were as new, but some of them will show some wear. They are heavy but surprisingly easy to walk in, although they are not the greatest on ice, traction-wise.

I have to be honest, since I bought my Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots with just 800 grams of thinsulate, I haven't had cold feet. I wear an 8 1/2 shoe, so I got 9s which leave me plenty of room for heavy wool socks. I'm sure it will get cold enough sometime that I need to break out the mickeys, but so far I really like the Burlys.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Mickeys.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Muck Arctic Pro

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Wow I never expected this type of response.. I really appreciate it. I am going to check out the surpluss boots and a slightly less extreme boot also.. Thanks guys !!
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:

Exactly what I do and they work great. [/b]
Yep.
I get cold feet real easy.
Switched to a LOOSE pair of mickeys with a extra heavy weight pair of smartwool socks that go up to the knee...never been warmer.

3 things about them..
1-they're not light, but fine for some walking.
2- wear high socks. If your socks get down past the top of the boot the rubber will pull out your leg hair and it's surprisingly uncomfortable.
3- I do all ground hunting. When I'm sitting on the ground with a leg tucked in, the valves on the sides can press into the ground and then put pressure right on the side of my ankle..through thick socks and all. After a couple days of that, the side of my ankle was getting pretty tender.

The boots have an inner and outer layer of rubber at that spot.
I took an exacto and carefully cut the valve right the heck outta there. Then I roughed up the surface a bit with a tire tube patch roughing tool and took some clear 100% silicone caulk and filled up the hole and spread it around the surface a bit.
WOW! what an improvement. I did that 4 years ago the the silicone is still holding strong.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Muck Arctic Pro! Used mine for the first time last year in single digits and 20 mph winds. Put a chemical foot warmer in each one and they are not tight even with my heavy socks. Feet never got cold and my feet are usually the first to get cold.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Baffin titan boots for me.
I hunt northern Michigan until Jan. And love the baffins!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©